Kernel Panic, Now it won't boot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2Duo
So here's what happened. I was on my MBP this am, messing around with VirtueDesktops, getting some things set the way I wanted them. Out of nowhere I get a Kernel Panic, so I shut down and restart. While restarting, I get the spinning gears for a minute, and then they just freeze. I left it alone, and it tried restarting all by itself. Once again, when it got to the spinning gears, it froze. I was able to boot in safe mode by holding down the shift key, but I don't know where to look to see what the problem is. I looked in the crash logs, but didn't see anything of help there. I'm not real Mac savvy, so maybe there was something there I just didn't see.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2Duo
I tried booting into single user, but it got partway in and froze (as far as I can tell).

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, BenBronson. Sorry to hear about your problem.

Sounds like bad RAM to me. Did you get some additional RAM installed or is it just manufacture installed RAM that is in your Mac?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2Duo
RAM is from Apple, just one 1G stick. I have a friend w/2 sticks in his, but unfortunately he is out of town for the weekend. Otherwise I would swap sticks and try to boot up. Any way to know for sure?

M

MacHeadCase

In the disk kit that came with your MBP you should have Apple's Hardware Test, Just pop it in your optical drive and restart holding down the D key. When prompted, ask for the Extended test.

It might not detect anything though if the problem is intermittent.

Although I just had a look at the VirtueDesktop blog. Seems there was supposed to be a version on its way but the developer stopped it since this feature will be included in Leopard (it is what is known as Spaces). Can't see anywhere if it is compatible with Intel-based Macs...

Usually kernel panics are hardware problems but it can sometimes be really messed up software. Did you try uninstalling the app?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2Duo
I have been running the Virtue Desktops for a while with no problems.

The problem hasn't been intermittent. I got the kernel panic this am and haven't been able to boot since.

Also, I was out of town when my MBP arrived, so by the time I got home it had been opened. I haven't ever seen the disk kit.

M

MacHeadCase

And this is a new computer? Bought from Apple or a Mac retailer? Send it back! You should always get the disks with new Macs, even the refurbished ones.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2Duo
Bought directly from Apple in December of '06.

M

MacHeadCase

You still have Apple Care so get on the phone with them now and ask for a set of disks and some assistance. Those disks are essential for troubleshooting as you can now see and unless you know your way around Terminal and some of its tricks you're stuck.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2Duo
Apple Care is only 3 months. I was on the phone with them earlier.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2Duo
My beautiful wife just walked in and handed me the disks. I love her!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2Duo
Is the hardware test on disk 1 or 2? Never mind.

So I just ran the test, and no trouble was found. But it still won't boot up, except in safe mode.

M

MacHeadCase

My beautiful wife just walked in and handed me the disks. I love her!

Aww now that is sweet. Ok well then that means you can boot from your disk! Swell!

From your install disk, holding down the C key I think, run Disk Utility and check the disk and repair it if need be and repair the disk permissions while you're at it, you never know.

Wish I was Terminal savvy I'd probably know how to get you out of this tough spot.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2Duo
WOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

You guessed it, I'm typing this from my MBP! I reset the PRAM and NVRAM, and it worked. I thought I had tried that earlier, but apparently not. Something with shutting down, pulling the battery, holding power button down, and then putting battery back in and restarting.

THANK YOU MACHEADCASE!

M

MacHeadCase

*Phew*

That was a toughy, wasn't it? Well I'm sure glad it got sorted out! Now you can enjoy your Mac again. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.