Does the prgram actually quit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
when you hit the X on a program does it actually quit? or what happens? because it remains in the dock? Also with Adium I close my buddy list and it dissapears how do I get it back without exiting and re opening it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
You can use the keyboard option to FULLY quit an application: APPLE + Q

Or, if it's in the dock, right click and hit Quit.

Reaction score
When you click the red X, it essentially minimizes the application. To reopen it, click it in the dock.

Do you see a little black arrow under some applications? That means they are open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Actually it depends on the program. The X can really do anything the developer wants it to do. Close the window, quit the program, etc.
And you might have a headless program that doesn't show up in the dock. the only way to know for sure is to do "top" in terminal, or open Activity Monitor.

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that certain programs automatically close upon hitting the red X. Thanks qiulio.

OP
TheInvsbleMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
alright thank you. How about my question about Adium? if I hit the X my buddy list disappears but I can still chat. but to get my buddy list back I have to exit and reopen it

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that certain programs automatically close upon hitting the red X. Thanks qiulio.
These usually are one-shot-use apps, such as the dictionary.

Back when the world was flat, these small programs were known as desk accessories, or DAs, sorta primitive widgets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
alright thank you. How about my question about Adium? if I hit the X my buddy list disappears but I can still chat. but to get my buddy list back I have to exit and reopen it

Command / (slash) will bring up the contact list again. Or find it under the Window menu. You don't have to relaunch Adium.

Reaction score
if u close Adium by hitting the X just hit the icon of it on ur dock, and ur contact list will appear back

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.