Help, my mouse no longer scrolls up or down

Reaction score
Hi. I can no longer use my mouse on my mac desktop computer to scroll up or down. It works just fine if I click on the up and down arrows but simply using the "ball" and scrolling either vertically or horizontally does not do anything any longer.

Is there a fix for this? Is this a common problem? is there a way to "reset" the computer so my mouse functions are restored? I have gone to "system preferences" and clicked on the mouse options but nothing seems to work.

Reaction score
Hi. I can no longer use my mouse on my mac desktop computer to scroll up or down. It works just fine if I click on the up and down arrows but simply using the "ball" and scrolling either vertically or horizontally does not do anything any longer.

Is there a fix for this? Is this a common problem? is there a way to "reset" the computer so my mouse functions are restored? I have gone to "system preferences" and clicked on the mouse options but nothing seems to work.

If you are using the Mighty Mouse, then it is a common experience that we all have. Mighty Mouse is extremely flawed in that sense, but I still enjoy the aesthetic aspect of it. My wired Mighty Mouse has been rendered useless after less than a year, while my wireless Mighty Mouse is still going strong despite owning for a much longer time. Anyway, here's what you may want to try.

1) Try turning the mouse upside down and run it on paper a couple of times. Apply pressure but not enough to spoil the internal mechanisms, mind you. Run it horizontally, vertically, in circles, whatever. Just make sure you get a good rolling out of the mouse. It should work after that.

2) Try a cloth this time around, a slightly moist one would be better as well. Try to do the same thing on the cloth as I have mentioned with the paper, and that should work.

3) I have read about running the mouse upside down over wet tissue, or anything with alcohol content. It'd clear the dirt out a bit, though I am not very sure.

4) Or you could do what I did with my wireless Mighty Mouse. I took it apart. But of course, that one involved a lot of work and I obviously voided my warranty to do it. But it worked wonders for me.

M

MacInWin

I used a can of compressed air to blow the dust out of the scroll ball area. I did that both upright and upside down and with the ball depressed. That fixed it for me. Now I do that same cleaning every few weeks. It's been good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 Intel C2D, 4GB RAM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.