Dual 1.8 GB G5 --- OR --- NEW iMac??

Reaction score
I'v had my G5 for years now, I'm ready to upgrade but again don't want to drop 4k on a new system....... I was at CompUSA yesterday and was blown away by the new 24" iMacs..... but I don't know if I would be doing myself any favors...... here are the specs:

(My current G5
Dual 1.8 Ghz PowerPC G5 (tower)
9 GB Memory

iMac:
Intel Core Duo 2 Processor, 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, 8X DVD+/-RW SuperDrive

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Depending on what you do with the computer, you might miss the extra RAM. But the CPU on the iMac is significantly faster than the G5s.

I'd say that the iMac is a worthwhile upgrade-if you put 4GB of RAM in it after you buy it-over the iMac, and as long as you don't need more than 4GB of RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I agree with above, the RAM will be missed. Not sure why you have 9GB of RAM now but if you're using it for HD content for example, the HDD swapping you'll get on the new system will kill performance.

I would suggest a Mac Pro. I assume you have a decent screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I agree with above, the RAM will be missed. Not sure why you have 9GB of RAM now but if you're using it for HD content for example, the HDD swapping you'll get on the new system will kill performance.

I would suggest a Mac Pro. I assume you have a decent screen?

Agreed. The Quad 2GHz is $2200 compared to $1800 of the 24" iMac.

OP
T
Reaction score
Okay! I'v made a decision.

I appreciate all your feedback guys.

To answer your questions; I use the G5 for graphics and (light) video editing. (Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut Pro, etc.)......

bad idea to go with the iMac??

T

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would look at a Mac Pro also since, you have a monitor and keyboard already.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As long as everything you do will work smoothly with 4GB RAM (Which is should with no issues), the iMac will toast the Dual 1.8 G5 if you use all Universal Applications or native Intel Apps.

But then there is the Monitor issue. The 24" iMac has a very good display but like others have said for color accuracy you might be better off with the Cinema Display than the 20" from a lot I have read.

If that is the case, pay a little more and get a Mac Pro. Then you will have the best of both worlds, Intel Speed and compatibility with all modern applications and a more accurate display for your work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.