two sided printing

Reaction score
I have an Epson 545 printer. I've had it for about a year. It was installed on Windows and worked very well. I was able to perform manual two sided printing with no problem but now that i installed the printer on my iMac ( 3 weeks old), I no longer have the option to do 2 sided printing. I called Epson support and was told Mac did not support 2 sided printing on this model Epson printer. I have downloaded the latest Epson drivers and still no 2 sided printing. I can use my wives PC and it works great. Is there an update from Mac that will help me with this? :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
Is your iMac running version 10.8.2?

OP
M
Reaction score
2 sided printing

Is your iMac running version 10.8.2?

Yes I am running 10.8.2.
On my PC I could highlight "2 sided printing" and just the odd pages would print. I would then get a pop up window that asked me to turn the paper around and then hit continue and that was it. That option is now gone. I was told by Epson I had to buy another printer that was compatible with Mac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Manual two sided printing probably can be performed but it will depend a lot on which application you're printing from. Some applications will allow printing odd pages or even pages only. Others will offer page selection; for example: 1, 2, 3, 4, or 1, 3, 5, or 2, 4, 6, etc. I have an Epson, an HP, and Canon printers, none of which will automatically print two sided. However, on all three I can manually print to both sides from the applications that I use most.

OP
M
Reaction score
Manual two sided printing probably can be performed but it will depend a lot on which application you're printing from. Some applications will allow printing odd pages or even pages only. Others will offer page selection; for example: 1, 2, 3, 4, or 1, 3, 5, or 2, 4, 6, etc. I have an Epson, an HP, and Canon printers, none of which will automatically print two sided. However, on all three I can manually print to both sides from the applications that I use most.

Thanks for the reply. I do have the option to print the odd or even pages. I guess I will print the odd pages; then reinsert the paper and select even to see if that will do what I want it to do. Thanks again, Mike

OP
M
Reaction score

That would help tremendously if I knew where to find it. Epson and I tried our best to find just that page but were unable to do so. I went to the Apple support page and found a download for Epson Printers. I am in the process of downloading it now. It is several hours long so I will check it again in the morning. Thanks for all the help...really; thanks. I will post again tomorrow.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Do you mean that you cannot find that page in the driver or you cannot find the web page with those directions? If you cannot find the web page with the directions try clicking that link in the post. It should work.

BTW when it comes to printer support I don't trust Epson to find anything Mac-related. I used to use Epson printers almost exclusively but got tired of battling installation and other issues in their software.

EDIT: Guys, do the Gutenprint drivers work in Lion or Mountain Lion? I have not used them in some time but sometimes they were able to activate features that the "official" drivers did not activate.

OP
M
Reaction score
Do you mean that you cannot find that page in the driver or you cannot find the web page with those directions? If you cannot find the web page with the directions try clicking that link in the post. It should work.

BTW when it comes to printer support I don't trust Epson to find anything Mac-related. I used to use Epson printers almost exclusively but got tired of battling installation and other issues in their software.

EDIT: Guys, do the Gutenprint drivers work in Lion or Mountain Lion? I have not used them in some time but sometimes they were able to activate features that the "official" drivers did not activate.
That page does not come up on my computer when I select print. If I select the link you sent, it does not work either. Epson said that page was for the 645 series and not the 545. If you were going to buy another printer, which would would you recommend for the Mac? I have to keep what I have for the time being but maybe next year I can swap. Thanks again, Mike

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I was afraid of that since the page was not very specific about which models it covered.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

I haven't had to use them in some time, but from memory, they were not available for all printers. They worked real well on my HP, but did not support either my Canon nor Epson. And, I'm not sure if they still work in ML.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.