iPhone hotspot with Mavericks

Reaction score
I have noticed that since downloading Mavericks, my laptop no longer recognizes my iPhone as a Personal Hotspot. The WiFi Password is entered. But something with the WiFi still needs to be adjusted.

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does your MacBook Pro "see" your iPhone when you go to "choose networks"? If it doesn't detect your iPhone, you won't be able to use the hotspot. Try setting up the hotspot again on your iPhone.

OP
M
Reaction score
No, it does not "see" the phone. The iPhone does not show up in the Networks pull-down.

By "Try setting up the hotspot again on your iPhone.," do you mean turning it on and off and on, or something else?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, it does not "see" the phone. The iPhone does not show up in the Networks pull-down.

By "Try setting up the hotspot again on your iPhone.," do you mean turning it on and off and on, or something else? Thanks.

Yes, go through the hotspot setup again with your ISP. It should not have changed when you updated to Mavericks as long as you didn't change anything else that would effect it. Also check the strength of your cellular signal. I know that when I was setting up a hotspot with my iPad on Verizon, the cellular signal had to be fairly strong before my Mac would see it. And it usually took several tries looking for it.

OP
M
Reaction score
"Yes, go through the hotspot setup again with your ISP. " On the laptop or on the Phone?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On your iPhone, not the Mac. Also like I said above, you may have to give the connection several tries before your Mac "sees" the iPhone hotspot. In other words, click on your WiFi icon at the top menu, select "join other network", and wait until the hotspot icon with your iPhone's name shows up. You may have to do that several times before it's picked up especially if your cellular signal is weak.

OP
M
Reaction score
3 out of 5 dots of signal strength.
I have given the connection several tries.

The laptop is not seeing it. In fact, it's not seeing anything but my Airport Base Station. The iPhone is detecting 6 other signals (as per normal).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is your iPhone able to connect to the WiFi signal from your base station? And which signal are you using to create the hotspot, your base station or the cell signal from your carrier?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I just ran thru the hotspot setup on my iPhone 5c: I had to have WiFi and BlueTooth on before it would allow me to connect. Once I turned both of those on, it allowed me to create the hotspot and assign a new password to connect - which I did. My iPhone was detected on the first try and I connected with my iMac to it. (Make sure you have WiFi and BT turned on.)

OP
M
Reaction score
OK, I just ran thru the hotspot setup on my iPhone 5c: I had to have WiFi and BlueTooth on before it would allow me to connect. Once I turned both of those on, it allowed me to create the hotspot and assign a new password to connect - which I did. My iPhone was detected on the first try and I connected with my iMac to it. (Make sure you have WiFi and BT turned on.)

You are referring to "run thru hotspot setup." How is this done? All I can see is that you turn the Personal Hotspot button to the "On" position then wait until the iPhone appears in the Newtworks radar icon thing at the top menu bar next to the speaker volume icon. I have done all of this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.