iPlayer to Apple TV, how or when?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel MacBookPro 15" Lion OS. iPad2, iPhone 4S, + 13" MacBook + eMac + G4, fanboy since 1985
I have iPlayer on my MacBook, iPod and iPhone ...... is it possible, or will it ever be possible, to stream BBC iPlayer content to my Apple TV?

if so, how, if not, when?

lastly, if never, is there a way to achieve this by other means?

I did have some software that downloaded iPlayer content to iTunes, but it was very unreliable so I deleted it. Recommendations gratefully received

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Unless the BBC feed is added to the list of things the ATV2 will stream directly from the web, it is unlikely you will ever get it. Unless you can download the content and move to iTunes you can't see it on your ATV at all at this point.

Maybe there is a hack if you jailbreak the ATV2....

C

chas_m

I read something recently about how the BBC were going to "open up" iPlayer in various ways, for example those of us in the Commonwealth might be able to use it too, maybe even our US cousins for that matter.

So perhaps a letter to the BBC iPlayer dept suggesting they look into offering that with the UK edition of AppleTV might at least get you a response ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Maybe there is a hack if you jailbreak the ATV2....

And i think its coming ......

Cant find it ATM but from memory Greenpois0n was working on it ......
It would be nice !!!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And as always, if you truly want access on your TV to anything you have on your computer, it's time to set up a HTPC.

Whether you're looking at the ATV, Logitech Review, Tivo Premier, Boxee Box, Moxie, Slingbox or whatever other TV connectable gadget you're looking at, you should research and have enough knowledge to weigh the cost vs the services provided to know if it's an acceptable solution for your individual desires in such a device.

Reaction score
Well, you could always wait for iOS 4.2...

..which could be out today. I have an iPad and ATV 2 and the best method looks to be to run BBC iplayer on the ipad and stream the video to ATV using AirPlay, which will, we're told, be included in 4.2.

I'm already using the iPad as a remote and it links easily to itunes on the study PC (sorry!) and to the ATV. Only question is whether AirPlay will really work with BBC iPlayer.

It's not the best solution (which would clearly be to have apps for the ATV2 and for BBC iplayer to be among the first but I won't hold my breath for that) but I'm hoping it will work and I'm nerdy enough to try it without shame.

OP
karlos2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel MacBookPro 15" Lion OS. iPad2, iPhone 4S, + 13" MacBook + eMac + G4, fanboy since 1985
iPlayer will not stream through Airplay ......... everything else is fine, there is no Airplay icon option showing when playing any iPlayer content through iPhone, iPod or on my Mac :-(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.