How to upgrade XP to 7.

Reaction score
I have windows xp installed using bootcamp and i just bought windows 7 pro, and i need to know how to install windows 7 pro, i had someone install windows first time round and i have no idea what to do. please help

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
first off, i dont not believe there is a direct upgrade path from XP to 7, so you will have to have the full version of 7. you also need bootcamp 3.0 to run windows 7.

to do a wipe and install (back up your windows and OSX partitions first):

you need to partition (split your drive into two parts) so that you can run windows on its own. this is done through bootcamp assistant, in the utilities folder of your applications folder. you then insert your windows disc, and run the installer. at this point it is important that you format the right partition (it should be called BOOTCAMP). if you format any other partition you are essentially going to screw up the osx side of your hard drive.

once windows installs you will boot to the desktop. put your mac osx install cd in and it will install the drivers (necessary for your hardware to work properly with the software.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
If you already have XP installed on your bootcamp partition then boot into your bootcamp insert the Win 7 disk and follow the directions on screen, once you have installed Win 7 it should put all your old files and folders into a folder in C:/Windows/Old_Windows or something similar (can't remember the exact path to it.)
Once done do as Rob says and insert your OSX DVD in and install the bootcamp drivers.

Hope this helps

- Simon

Reaction score
first off, i dont not believe there is a direct upgrade path from XP to 7, so you will have to have the full version of 7. you also need bootcamp 3.0 to run windows 7.

Legally speaking, Microsoft allow you to upgrade from XP to Win 7 using a Win 7 upgrade version. However if you try, the Win7 installer will insist on doing a wipe/fresh install. If you must upgrade without installing a fresh copy, there are a few routes you can go depending on where you're starting and where you want to end up:

XP Home -> Vista Home Prem -> Win 7 Home Prem
XP Pro -> Vista Business -> Win 7 Pro

If you want to upgrade from XP home to Win 7 Pro, the upgrade path would be:

XP Home -> XP Pro -> Vista Business -> Win 7 Pro

Going through all those upgrades, I wouldn't like to guarantee the stability of the resulting operating system though...

Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.