First time buyer

Reaction score
The following link shows the 3 MacBooks available to buy:

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...clm=MacBook&wosid=vB6G8QfH5GPK2sdNdTk112yEkhR

Okay, in terms of specs and price, the second model is what I want. However, I would like to know if its possible to have this model in black, or is it only the third model that comes in black? If it is possible to buy this model in black, how do I go about specifying this? Also, I attend the University of Ulster, Jordanstown, and I would like to know how I go about getting a student discount, step by step, if possible. Also, does anyone know how much this discount would be for the second model, currently priced at £879GBP(£748.09GBP)?

Thanks very much for any help given guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
The following link shows the 3 MacBooks available to buy:

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...clm=MacBook&wosid=vB6G8QfH5GPK2sdNdTk112yEkhR

Okay, in terms of specs and price, the second model is what I want. However, I would like to know if its possible to have this model in black, or is it only the third model that comes in black? If it is possible to buy this model in black, how do I go about specifying this? Also, I attend the University of Ulster, Jordanstown, and I would like to know how I go about getting a student discount, step by step, if possible. Also, does anyone know how much this discount would be for the second model, currently priced at £879GBP(£748.09GBP)?

Thanks very much for any help given guys!

You cannot buy any model in black. There is not model that comes as an option as black or white. The top of the line macbook is black. The lower and middle models are white.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
yea the Black Macbook has a 120gb Hdd too.... strictly 3 models. 60gb 1.83, 80gb 2.0 w/ superdrive, and 120gb 2.0 w/superdrive in black. only upgrade option is the ram. id deff go with 2gb . i have 1.25gb now and it runs great i just want one more chip :p

Get the black its awsomeeee

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the top of the line macbook is black or white, you can get the exact same options. the black simply comes at a premium price.

the white one i got a couple months ago was identical to the base black macbook (2.0Ghz CoreDuo, 1Gb memory, 80G hd). the black one was just 200 bucks more... just to be black... that's all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the top of the line macbook is black or white, you can get the exact same options. the black simply comes at a premium price.

the white one i got a couple months ago was identical to the base black macbook (2.0Ghz CoreDuo, 1Gb memory, 80G hd). the black one was just 200 bucks more... just to be black... that's all.

The top of the line core duo Macbook came standard with a 80Gig harddrive, 512MB of ram and was black. The middle model was white and came with a 60Gig harddrive, and 512MB of ram standard. You just upgraded the middle model to the top of the line. There is a difference. And you don't pay $200 for just the colour. At the time i believe it was about $100 for the harddrive upgrade and about $100 for the "black tax" as some ppl called it.

The new C2D blackbook is more justifyable now though. The blackbook comes with a 120Gig harddrive now (a $150 upgrade from apple) and the black tax is only $50.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i just remember that at the time, when i got mine, it was the same as the base black, and i said to the guy at the store, "so basically, i'd pay 200 bucks more for black, right?". and he nodded sheepishly and said, "yep".

thus the white macbook sitting in my living room.
icon12.gif

Reaction score
So I had to google your college to find out it's in the UK, and I can give you a link:

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukInd

Once you enter the information, you'll have access to what looks like a regular Apple store, but with student prices where applicable.

Now I don't know how well-known your school is, but you could phone Apple Store Hotline and ask whether Ulster has special prices. This was true for me, I told them I'm attending ETH Zurich and they had special rates for me. Also a phone salesman can give you a good altered price, if you know what I mean.

Price for a regular student-priced Macbook black: £938.83
The Apple store help hotline UK: Call 0800 039 1010

The Macbook comes in black only in the highest configuration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just remember that at the time, when i got mine, it was the same as the base black, and i said to the guy at the store, "so basically, i'd pay 200 bucks more for black, right?". and he nodded sheepishly and said, "yep".

thus the white macbook sitting in my living room.
icon12.gif

Well the core duo blackbook always came stock with 20Gig more harddrive space then the mid level macbook. These refurbs are stock:

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo - White
13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
1280 x 800 resolution
512MB memory (2x256MB SODIMMs)
60GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Built-in iSight camera

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo - Black
13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
1280 x 800 resolution
512MB memory (2x256MB SODIMMs)
80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Built-in iSight camera

Notice the 80 and 60 GB harddrive difference and all other specs are the same? The sales man didn't know what they were talking about.

OP
Reaction score
okay guys, so i bought the middle spec white mac book. when i heard the black wasnt glossy, i went off it. they said it should be here by tuesaday (uber fast or what?) only question remaining is should i wait till xmas to open it? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
okay guys, so i bought the middle spec white mac book. when i heard the black wasnt glossy, i went off it. they said it should be here by tuesaday (uber fast or what?) only question remaining is should i wait till xmas to open it? :D

Hey you bought it your self thats your choice. But I think the real question is can you bear the wait till xmas. :mac:

OP
Reaction score
lol i hope so, its just i dont wanna be bored on christmas day, you know? but YAY! my first ever laptop, ive been waiting so long!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

The back macbook's case isn't glossy...it's a matt black. The screen is glossy like the middle spec one.

I'm actually hoping Santa ;) is bringing me a black macbook this xmas :)

Reaction score
I had this dillema a few weeks ago when I made my switch. I just could not bring myself to spend an extra $200 for just a bigger HD.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Notice the 80 and 60 GB harddrive difference and all other specs are the same? The sales man didn't know what they were talking about.

mine does have an 80 gig HD.

i'm saying that when my white one was optioned up to the stats of the standard black one (not cto or anything, just the "ultimate" i think they called it when yelling into the back), the white one was 200 bucks less. that's all. no talentless salesman - i could see it right there on the signs posted right around the notebook tables.
no need to argue - it's just the fact for the us models at that moment in time, the model i plunked my cash down for, and the one i've actually got in my hot little hands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mine does have an 80 gig HD.

i'm saying that when my white one was optioned up to the stats of the standard black one (not cto or anything, just the "ultimate" i think they called it when yelling into the back), the white one was 200 bucks less. that's all. no talentless salesman - i could see it right there on the signs posted right around the notebook tables.
no need to argue - it's just the fact for the us models at that moment in time, the model i plunked my cash down for, and the one i've actually got in my hot little hands.

I'm not arguing, I'm just stating the specs that the core duo came with. If you some how got a 80Gig macbook for the price of the 60Gigger then lucky you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.