any suggestions on notebook cooler?

Reaction score
since i've been reading quite a lot of threads saying macbook has a heating problem and i'll be getting a macbook in a few days, i want to if there's any good notebook cooler you may suggest.

J

jamesx

i wouldn't say that a macbook has a cooling problem at all. like any notebook, a macbook will get warm on your lap. i downloaded SMC Fancontrol and i set it around 3000 when its on my lap and it stays cool. you might want to try that before you spend money on a product, smc may work well enough and its free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
i wouldn't say that a macbook has a cooling problem at all. like any notebook, a macbook will get warm on your lap.
And like any notebook, it should not be used on your lap.
Apple said:
Apple portable computers comply with temperature limits set in national and international safety standards when used in accordance with the instructions in the user guide. Instructions include the advice not to place the computer on your lap for extended periods.

Source: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30612

J

jamesx

so how are you supposed to do anything on a notebook??? find a table or desk??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Pucciay,
I use my macbook on my lap all the time. In bed, in front of the tv, all the time. I have a lap tray that I use. It's a plastic tray with a beanbag bottom, not sure where I got it though, it's a few years old. I also used smcfan, but I decided to uninstall it. I figured that the apple factory settings for my fan are what apple finds is best, so who am I to second guess them, good progam though, easy to use. I also use the macbook on my lap with no lapdesk. It does get warm though. Hot? not really, but kinda warm. I know they say you shouldn't use it on your lap, but isn't that what a notebook is for? People say don't do it, but I don't care, I like sitting on the couch in front of the tv with it on my lap. There are bigger issues in life then worrying about a notebook on my lap. Apple fans are out the rear of the macbook, not the bottom like most windows machines, so no fan ports to block. As far as a cooler, I don't find that it gets hot enough for a cooler. When on my lap(we all do it, I just admit it), the fans aren't on a whole lot more than when on a table. There are some usb powered coolers out there, my wife has one for her windows machine. It works well enough, Targus made it.

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks, jaster
i do agree with you, if i'm not using my laptop on my lap, i'd have just use my desktop instead.
i'll just go ahead and try it without using smc or notebook cooler first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I know they say you shouldn't use it on your lap, but isn't that what a notebook is for?
Nope. It isn't a "laptop".
so how are you supposed to do anything on a notebook??? find a table or desk??
Yes, from the same link I posted before:
Apple said:
For prolonged use, place your iBook, PowerBook, MacBook or MacBook Pro on a flat stable surface. Do not leave the bottom of the computer in contact with your lap or any surface of your body for extended periods. Prolonged contact with your body could cause discomfort and potentially a burn.Here are some suggestions for working with your portable computer to address any concerns you may have with the operating temperature:

1. When using your portable computer, place it on a hard surface, such as a desktop or a tray. A hard surface allows air to flow under the computer to dissipate heat. Placing it on a soft surface such as a towel or pillow (or lap) is not recommended because it does not allow air to flow under the computer.

2. Under the Energy Saver pane in System Preferences, set the optimization to Better Energy Savings.
The computer's internal fans turn on automatically within a temperature range that is selected to ensure proper operation of the computer.

Reaction score
Since the entire POINT of having a "notebook" for me has ALWAYS been the ability to use it on my lap (and I have for a long, long time and never had a laptop have an issue with this) I wasn't about to go finding a table to sit at for my MacBook. I write on the couch with a couple cats. Why? Because its COMFORTABLE. Amazing thought. ;)

Since the MacBook does get considerably hotter than any machine I've used in teh past I ordered an iLap. It'll put the keyboard at a more comfortable angle and keep my lap and the laptop cool.

That said, it doesn't get THAT hot. Certainly not hot enough to burn. It just gets warm enough that in the summer I'll not want it directly on me. If I wasn't going to use my computer on my lap I'd be sitting at my desk with my desktop. That's what its for. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I leave it on my lap if I'm leaning back on the couch, otherwise I put it on the coffee table or my desk. They've done studies showing decreased sperm count as a result from the constant heat of having a laptop on your lap for too long too often ;)

J

jamesx

yea and at the rate of unwanted teen pregnancies a reduced sperm count might be a great thing in todays world LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Hate to break it to everyone, but if you wear whitey tighty underwear, it reduces your sperm count. A hot sunny day, reduces your sperm count. Hot bath, reduces your sperm count. A few minutes after removing whatever heat source causes the problem, your sperm count begin to rise back to normal again. Studies say that they lower sperm count, other studies say that it's not a problem. Remember all those studies that said cell phones caused cancer and everyone bought those dumb little radiation screens. I have it on my lap right now while I type this. The fans aren't running any faster than normal, my lap doesn't feel like its going to catch fire. I have had a laptop/notebook since my first ibook back in 2003 or 04. I used it and still do use a notebook on my lap daily. 4 months ago my wife and I just had our 2nd child. So, for reduced sperm count, didn't do it for me, lol. The only thing i ever worry about when i use it on my lap is that Sony battery recall. i hope they fixed the problem of the exploding batteries.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Macbook, 30 gig black ipod, 1 gig black nano, 2 gig blue nano
Reaction score
i don't know where u got the idea that u shouldn't use a laptop on ur lap cos its name is LAPtop for a reason and i'm sure apple took into account that ppl will use it on there lap

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i don't know where u got the idea that u shouldn't use a laptop on ur lap cos its name is LAPtop for a reason and i'm sure apple took into account that ppl will use it on there lap

that's been covered

get a lapdesk.

writing desks work well
382492314_a16ed4528c.jpg

382492312_9f3aa55861.jpg

or something basic
382492319_5be90b8ef6.jpg

Reaction score
nice i came up with a more simpler cheaper solution for using it on my bed. a nice grly coloured folder which i put it up on works fine aside from that i just use smc fan control. jes it takes it time at uploading pictures or is that just me. ah it its a small folder with only a small angle on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.