Better Backup Options?

Reaction score
I'm trying to improve my overall back up system, and could really use some advice...

-I've happily used TimeMachine, but I've been told that I should supplement it by backing up with Carbon Copy Cloner and/or SuperDuper. Are there any benefits to using these app's that TimeMachine doesn't provide? If so, what are they?

-If it's NOT advisable use Carbon Copy Cloner and/or SuperDuper, should I use another app for further back ups?

-I do a lot of sensitive work that requires serious privacy and protection. I'd like to back up using some kind of online service, but only if it could be seriously protected / encrypted. I know iDisk is available, but have also been told that I can use DropBox with some encryption / protection services that would make backing up files on a remote server ultra protected. So, what's the most recommendable route?

-I store a lot of media on external hard drives, and would like to make back ups of those drives. What's the best software to use for scheduled, incremental back ups for external HD to external HD file back ups?

Thanks, guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
super duper (paid version) is what I use, it'll do smart copy, which is the incremental backup you want, and I'm pretty sure it'll do external to external, though I haven't used it for that.

I use super duper to clone my entire MBP, which a bootable backup. So if my hard drive suddenly dies, I could plug in the backup, boot off of that and not miss a beat.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This thread has been moved here to this forum where it is appropriate. It did not belong in the "Schweb's Lounge"

Please read our forum descriptions and Sticky notices before posting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Macbook Pro & iPhone GS3
I save all my iMac data onto a Drobo. I also have 2 1T external HD, one as a Time Machine backup and the other partitioned for SuperDuper (iMac and MBP).
I do a SD backup once in a while when the system and new apps run OK just to have a bootable HD. TM backup is self-explanatory.

I have an off-site backup with Mozy. Mozy gave me a lot of trouble in the past, albeit intermittently resulting in having to rebackup some 60+GB. That was painful and time consuming. However Mozy has improved over the last couple of years and I have no issues with them now. I will only move to another server if there is a reason to do so as it takes lots of hours to backup the 60+GB of data. Offsite back is a must if you have critical data which you don't want to reconstruct or lose forever. You can select mounted drives, folders and files for backup under Mozy. Mozy is very easy to get use to.

SuperDuper is an excellent backup application. I know CCC is good too (my daughter uses it) but I have no first hand experience to make any comment.

Good luck and hope you make an informed decision.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm trying to improve my overall back up system, and could really use some advice...

-I've happily used TimeMachine, but I've been told that I should supplement it by backing up with Carbon Copy Cloner and/or SuperDuper. Are there any benefits to using these app's that TimeMachine doesn't provide? If so, what are they?

CCC and SD! both make bootable clones of the drive you're backing up. This is handy to have as it can get you back up and running instantly, in the event of a catastrophic failure.

Time Machine is a great backup utility, but recovering from a complete hard drive crash will take some time, as you'll need to install the OS before you can get back to your data.

-If it's NOT advisable use Carbon Copy Cloner and/or SuperDuper, should I use another app for further back ups?

Both are great apps for making a clone-style backup, if that's what you need.

-I do a lot of sensitive work that requires serious privacy and protection. I'd like to back up using some kind of online service, but only if it could be seriously protected / encrypted. I know iDisk is available, but have also been told that I can use DropBox with some encryption / protection services that would make backing up files on a remote server ultra protected. So, what's the most recommendable route?

I'm not a fan of online backups, mostly because you are completely at the mercy of that company. If they get hacked or if they're not using appropriate redundancy, I'll never know it - I have to trust their competency. The trouble is, they are HUGE targets for hackers since there's an unimaginable treasure trove of data out there ripe for the plucking. I'm sure these guys have great IT staff, but the risk/benefit is just not there (for me).

-I store a lot of media on external hard drives, and would like to make back ups of those drives. What's the best software to use for scheduled, incremental back ups for external HD to external HD file back ups?

Thanks, guys!

You really should be looking at replacing them with either a mirrored NAS or RAID1 externals. Both will automatically mirror the data between two drives whenever you send data to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I would be extremely cautious with storing your data in on-line backups.
In which country will your data be stored and what law will be applicable.
Very dodgy stuff at the moment and food for lawyers to come up with a good legal framework.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.