Mabook Battery issue

Reaction score
Hey guys, i got a free macbook from a friend who was going overseas.

He didn't want it so I got to keep it, but the problem is it doesn't turn on.

I thought it was charger as i bought a non apple charger and it did not charge up( the light did not come on at the end of the charger)

So then i purchased an official one, and i see the light working on the ac adapter, but the macbook won't turn on. Not sure if it is the battery or not.

I have never had a chance to turn it on and I have no way communicating with my pal.

I am very new to Macs by the way.
What are my options if i Have any?

Any help would be great.
Thank You

Reaction score
Hey guys, i got a free macbook from a friend who was going overseas.

He didn't want it so I got to keep it, but the problem is it doesn't turn on.

I thought it was charger as i bought a non apple charger and it did not charge up( the light did not come on at the end of the charger)

So then i purchased an official one, and i see the light working on the ac adapter, but the macbook won't turn on. Not sure if it is the battery or not.

I have never had a chance to turn it on and I have no way communicating with my pal.

I am very new to Macs by the way.
What are my options if i Have any?

Any help would be great.
Thank You

I think it'd be helpful if you could tell us which Macbook you are talking about. If you are talking about the older model with the removable battery, then take it on with the adaptor plugged in and see if that works.

If that doesn't work, then it is probably something else that is fried - maybe the motherboard? There are a lot of possibilities.

OP
S
Reaction score
I suspect it is the battery.

there is a small button where the battery is.
i seen on ebay it is meant to light up, but this one does not.

here are the specs
2.2 ghz intel core duo 2
1 gb ram
120 gb hdd.

it also uses 60w power adapter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
so you are saying that when you press the button on the batter nothing lights up... that just means the battery has no charge. The problem is you need to find someone with a battery that is known to work. Put that into the mac and see if it works. It is possible that the battery is completely toast but also possible that the battery is fine but that the power board inside the computer is fried (also possible you killed it when you used a non-apple charger).

And of course since you aren't sure the computer ever worked to start with it is also possible your "friend" gave you a liquid spill mac which is dead with no hope.

Now if you don't have anyone with a working macbook like yours to test yours with, go to the apple store and tell them you think you need a battery, ask them if they can see if your battery or macbook is the problem... and be ready to pay about 100 bucks for a new battery if that's the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.