Large File Transfer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S
Just got my new iMac and I was pumped because I downloaded a blueray movie on my old PC to transfer onto my iMac to watch it but with the external hard drive formatted in FAT there is that ANNOYING 4gb limit so I need some help or advice in how to get this off my PC and onto my iMac?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Options:

1. Crossover ethernet cable and network the PC and Mac to transfer the file over directly.

2. Do you have a router and two ethernet cables? That'll work too.

3. Reformat the external drive to HFS (backup before you do anything with the drive)

Reaction score
Options:

1. Crossover ethernet cable and network the PC and Mac to transfer the file over directly.

2. Do you have a router and two ethernet cables? That'll work too.

3. Reformat the external drive to HFS (backup before you do anything with the drive)

As a recent switcher, myself I would opt for option 2 in this scenario - It's the easiest, provided you have an existing network (even if it is only your PC connected to your router).

If you don't have an ethernet cable, then I'd go for option 1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.