There's GOTTA be a way to rotate a video....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
So...my wife took some video in portrait mode, which of course means it shows up sideways.

Now...when rotating a movie in iMovie '09, the video indeed rotates -- but it's missing half the video.

Is there a simple way where you can just tell the app to rotate the video and you have the original video but right-side-up?? And not cropped?? And don't even give me that "Google is your friend" malarkey -- that's what caused this trouble in the first place! (Besides, if you knew anything about Google's "best practices," you'd know that Google is NOT your friend...)

If Windows Movie Maker can do it, certainly iMovie can???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
So...my wife took some video in portrait mode, which of course means it shows up sideways.

Now...when rotating a movie in iMovie '09, the video indeed rotates -- but it's missing half the video.

Is there a simple way where you can just tell the app to rotate the video and you have the original video but right-side-up?? And not cropped?? And don't even give me that "Google is your friend" malarkey -- that's what caused this trouble in the first place! (Besides, if you knew anything about Google's "best practices," you'd know that Google is NOT your friend...)

If Windows Movie Maker can do it, certainly iMovie can???

First hit in my Google search gave what appears to be a workable solution, though I wouldn't call it "simple". A couple hits down are video tutorials.
rotate video mac - Google Search

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Try rotating the video as you described...then click on the "fit" option to expand the portrait mode to be fully exposed...( you have the option of crop, Ken Burns and Fit...) I'm just guessing that clicking on "fit" will correct your problem.

Reaction score
I can't help with how iMovie will do it HOWEVER I just this week discovered and used iskysoft Video Convertor which basically accepts any file types and transfers onto dvd. The edit option allows you to reverse and also rotate the picture. The only downside is you'd have to put it to disc to later extract if you only wanted it on your computer.
I'm a fairly stupid to average user and this program was dead simple...so anyone could use it with ease! :p

C

chas_m

iskysoft = chinese spammers. Caveat Emptor.

PS. Codda has it right on the money ... rotated video in iMovie is not cut off IME ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.