Installing Install disks OS X

Reaction score
Quick question:

I have the original 2 Install disks that came with my Mac. Mac OS X Install disks 1 & 2.
Will installing these wipe everything off my Mac? Pictures, files, everything?

If so, whats the easiest way to back everything up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Why do you think you need to do another install? If the machine is slowing down look to run maintenance programs such as Onyx and MainMenu. If it is a must do an Archive and Install if the hard drive is okay and all your folder etc will be in a folder marked 'Previous System'.

Best way to back up is to an external HDD, partitioned APM if PPC, GUID if Intel, formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and the drive cloned using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Do a Google Search for these suggested programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Oops.... didn't see Harry's post. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Harry has a good point. Before you do something drastic like reinstalling the OS, you should tell us what your problems are that has you believing you need to reinstall the OS. Reinstalling the OS is usually the last step if all else has failed.

OP
C
Reaction score
Why do you think you need to do another install? If the machine is slowing down look to run maintenance programs such as Onyx and MainMenu.

Thanks guys. I'm happy to share my problem to see if I can get help. Tried in other forums and didn't get the answer i needed.

BAsically, long story short, Parallels messed up my settings. Everything was defaulting to Parallels and not Mac.
I've since uninstalled Paralles, but cant get the settings back.

For example, when trying to install a program from a CD rom, the default program that's trying to open it is TextEdit (was windows, but now that Windows is gone it defaulted to TextEdit). I know I can click on "open with..." but i cannot figure what what it should be.

The same thing applies when downloading something from the web. The right programs doesn't automatically try to open it, so everything is a PITA.

Is there an easy way to reset all settings to default?

Please help!!!

Oh, by the way, iMac OS X 10.5.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may have to do a reformat of the hard drive, but first boot from your Leopard disc, holding down 'C' after the chimes, and go to Utilities> Disk Utility and run Repair Disk and see what is reported.

Then reboot and run Repair Permissions twice, be patient takes about 20 minutes each time. If you still have problems download a little utility called AppleJack, print and read the directions, and run deep cleaning.

http://applejack.sourceforge.net/

Keep us posted?

OP
C
Reaction score
You may have to do a reformat of the hard drive, but first boot from your Leopard disc, holding down 'C' after the chimes, and go to Utilities> Disk Utility and run Repair Disk and see what is reported.

Then reboot and run Repair Permissions twice, be patient takes about 20 minutes each time. If you still have problems download a little utility called AppleJack, print and read the directions, and run deep cleaning.

AppleJack Project Page

Keep us posted?

Thank you.

Since It takes a while I'll try this tomorrow.
Thanks for the suggestions. I would much rather figure this out. Using the install disks was a last option out of frustration lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For example, when trying to install a program from a CD rom, the default program that's trying to open it is TextEdit (was windows, but now that Windows is gone it defaulted to TextEdit). I know I can click on "open with..." but i cannot figure what what it should be.

The same thing applies when downloading something from the web. The right programs doesn't automatically try to open it, so everything is a PITA.

Is there an easy way to reset all settings to default?
It sounds like most of your programs were set to open with some program in Windows through Parallels. Try right clicking a file that is giving you problems and then choose the Get Info option and in the "Open With" section tell us what is being used to open your program. If you know the application you want to always open it with then select it and then click on the "change all" button.

Each type of file will need to be opened with a different type of application program. What are the file types you are trying to open? Also most Mac application programs only need to be dragged and dropped into the Applications folder in order to install. What is this program you are trying to install from a CD rom and tell how exactly you are doing that. What you are describing is pretty confusing.

OP
C
Reaction score
It sounds like most of your programs were set to open with some program in Windows through Parallels. Try right clicking a file that is giving you problems and then choose the Get Info option and in the "Open With" section tell us what is being used to open your program. If you know the application you want to always open it with then select it and then click on the "change all" button.

Each type of file will need to be opened with a different type of application program. What are the file types you are trying to open? Also most Mac application programs only need to be dragged and dropped into the Applications folder in order to install. What is this program you are trying to install from a CD rom and tell how exactly you are doing that. What you are describing is pretty confusing.

The CD rom I'm trying to install, the file is called 'setup.exe'. But its trying to be opened by TextEdit. What program should open a .exe file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The CD rom I'm trying to install, the file is called 'setup.exe'. But its trying to be opened by TextEdit. What program should open a .exe file?
There is your problem right there. I was suspecting something like this. It seems you don't realize that .exe files are Windows only files and can not be opened in your Mac. This is why your computer was trying to open it in Windows.

You have to either buy the Mac version of the program you are trying to install or use it in Windows under Parallels or Boot Camp. It seems you are trying to use Windows programs and files on your Mac which is the cause of your problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just wonder if we are having our whatsits pulled?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.