Gray Screen: I have tried it all...

Reaction score
So all was well, then my Macbook Pro froze. I hold down power, I get the gray screen. Try everything -- PRAM, Option, C, Command S, Option R, Replaced my hard drive, RAM, Tried booting from CD, USB, whatever...

I've done it all. Is there anything I'm missing? At one point in the ordeal I actually was able to see my mac backup through my firewire, but it kind of froze up there and I haven't been able to get it to notice my mac backup file since (Firewire or USB).

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer me.

Specs: 17" Macbook Pro model A1229, Ran 10.7.4

Regards,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
What OS are you running? If you have Lion, you can restart and hold Command+R to enter recovery.

Unrelated thought, have you considered connecting to an external tv or monitor to see if it's a display issue?

Just spitballing here...

OP
S
Reaction score
It was on 10.7.4. I tried Command+R and it didn't do anything... The monitor is fine. I have been able to get a cursor to show up, I've been able to get a "Recovery HD" to show up via USB, and one time I was able to get to disk utility from my mac backup. Now I get no where with my mac backup via firewire or usb.

Thanks for the help though

What OS are you running? If you have Lion, you can restart and hold Command+R to enter recovery.

Unrelated thought, have you considered connecting to an external tv or monitor to see if it's a display issue?

Just spitballing here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OP
S
Reaction score
This is wild... So I go buy a SATA/USB connector hookup old hard drive. By chance (which I can't replicate again), it boots that hard drive. I had all my computer back -- everything. It was running very slow, but it was completely normal.

Would a computer work like that if the logic board were broke? Might it be the hard drive cable? Both hard drives function perfectly by the way. Alright whiz-kids... Have at it. This seems like a challenge for some of you all...

Thanks,

OP
S
Reaction score
OK -- I'm able to replicate the boot up to my SATA/USB old hard drive. If I hook up the new or old hard drive internally it doesn't work. What does this mean?

I'm editing this from the messed up computer that is functioning off of a SATA/USB cord. Would this mean it's the harddrive cable and not logic board? When I plugged in the hard drive with the computer on and functioning (stupid I know, but I'm desperate) I heard it spin. If that means anything to you either.

Thanks,

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Let me understand you correctly. Are you putting in the same drive that works in the USB Enclosure Internally into the MPB and you get a white screen, but the same Hard Drive in that enclosure boots up fine?

If that is the case, it's either the internal SATA cable or the SATA controller.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes -- nothing works internally, but both work externally. How do I test if it's controller -v- cable? Do they sale as a package?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The SATA controller is a Chip (might be in the Intel Southbridge) so if it's that, nothing you can do. The Cable you will have to purchase.

Does the cable look intact? Could you take a pic of the Inside of the MBP right by the cable and post it here?

OP
S
Reaction score
rs7cw1.jpg

OP
S
Reaction score
Well -- I'll buy the cable and cross my fingers. Otherwise I'll be stuck with a fully jerry-rigged mac...

OP
S
Reaction score
Great... The cable didn't change anything. So to recap:

1) My computer works normal booting off of a USB/SATA of my old hard drive -- if I attach my new hard drive (or old for that matter) internally nothing works.

2) All else fails (that I have tried).

Have I missed anything?

Thanks,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.