SIM card question

Reaction score
I have a question about swaping SIM cards on the old iphones. I have an iphone with firmware 2.0 and my brother had one with 1.4. I agreed to sell mine to a friend who wanted to unlock it, but this was before I knew that 2.0 was not currently unlockable. Me and my brother made a deal that we would swap iphones and he would have mine with the 2.0 firmware and i would have his with the 1.4. First thing we thought was that we needed to swap SIM cards. Before I do this I want to make sure of something. If I take his SIM card and put it in my phone, can he safely activate it on itunes and have his number working on my phone or does this need to be done in store. Basically, I'm asking if swaping phone numbers is as simple as swaping sim cards and reactivating the phone with the new sim card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Technically, it should work. You would just need to swap the SIM cards, restore the phones, and recover each of your respective backups to the swapped phones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Yeah - the phone number is linked to the SIM not the phone - so swap it - reactivate in iTunes and if you're in the UK you'll also need to call o2 as you need to give them the MAC address of the phone your SIM card is now in so that you can still use the free wifi spots.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Yeah - the phone number is linked to the SIM not the phone - so swap it - reactivate in iTunes and if you're in the UK you'll also need to call o2 as you need to give them the MAC address of the phone your SIM card is now in so that you can still use the free wifi spots.

If you are both on the same network you don't need to call O2 as the MAC address will already be registered with them, I think. I don't use O2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Hasn't 2.0 been unlocked yet? I thought it had.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
If you are both on the same network you don't need to call O2 as the MAC address will already be registered with them, I think. I don't use O2.

Oh, when I exchanged my faulty iPhone for a replacement I dropped in the new SIM - activated through iTunes and all was fine until I tried to use a wifi spot in McDonalds - I was unable to use this or any Cloud spot until I had told o2 my new MAC address - at which point it started working again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.