failes to start - smc reset then OK

Reaction score
Hi everyone

My MB pro 17'' start behaving oddly. It failes to start. Removing the battery and doing SMC start without putting the battery back in it works on external power (fun always on). If I shut it down then without disconnecting external power it starts ok. If I disconnect external then it requires SMC reset (which does not just work first time).

Is the battery faulty or is it the board? is there a way to test the battery externaly? it shows no charge. Has anybody got a pinout? will try to charge it externaly. I work with electronic and got external multivoltage charger. Can try it that way.

anybody had this before? Guessing the question is...if you take battery out from your MB and connect just external PS can you start it without reseting SMC? I have to do it every time when charger is connected freshly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No pinout on the battery, but use caution trying to charge it externally. If your machine is still under its original one year warranty (not Apple care) the battery would still be covered. If you damage the battery with an external charger, you'll eat the cost of replacing it. :(

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
battery wont charge

Hello again

Can somebody do me a favour. I need the voltage of charging pins. If you remove the battery while your laptop is plugged in then measure out pin voltage between 6-5 6-4 6-3 6-2 6-1. My shows 3.3v 3.3v 3.3v 0v 0v which makes me think that battery is serial connected to make 10V and charging is OK. The pin 6 is the far pin starting count from side where connector is closer to the body of the laptop. I need this to diagnose if I need a new battery or logic board as battery wont charge. The local Mac shop is not very helpful as they want to charge me £40 for this.

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.