Just switched dsl provider. Now Wireless Doesnt Work

Reaction score
Hey guys,

so over the past 2 weeks i cancelled a previous dsl subscription and i am now with AT&T

my activation date was today and i wasnt able to connect to the net with my new modem... after chatting with tech suppport they made me login to the modems IP address to configure an email setting which somehow solved my issue

i can browse the net perfectly when my macbook is directly connected to the modem with the ethernet cable but when i try to connect the ethernet cable to my linksys wireless router (which worked perfectly fine with the last modem ..) i cant seem to browse the net

is there some kind of IP config that i have to do? i successfully logged on to the linksys wireless router's ip address and i can also see that connection is at full capacity in the airport connection icon on the top of my window...but when i try to surf the net using the wireless conneciton it kind of just stands still and the page doesnt load

can anyone give me some help pls? thakns

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ok what brand and model is the new modem? Also need info on Router. I think I know what is going on but need that info to help you.

Some modems AT&T (SBC) ships have a one IP address router built in and will not work unless you change a setting. Just dealt with one of them a month ago.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ok what brand and model is the new modem? Also need info on Router. I think I know what is going on but need that info to help you.

Some modems AT&T (SBC) ships have a one IP address router built in and will not work unless you change a setting. Just dealt with one of them a month ago.

Agreed with dtravis.

An even simpler thing to try would be to make sure that you have powered off the router and powered it back on and wait for 30 seconds after you attach the modem to it.

More often when this type of situation occurs, it's because the modem has a router that is using the same default IP address as your router (usually 192.168.1.1 or .100). Sometimes you just need to change the IP range and assign the router something in a different subnet. I like to use 192.168.0.1.

OP
M
Reaction score

the router im using is linksys wrt54g

and also the model of the new modem is a motorola mstatea its a very small silver dsl modem

thank u so much!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the router im using is linksys wrt54g

and also the model of the new modem is a motorola mstatea its a very small silver dsl modem

thank u so much!!

Try this:

- Start with the computer turned off
- Unplug the power to the DSL modem and the router
- Plug the DSL modem in and wait 30 seconds
- Plug the router in and wait 30 seconds
- Start the computer and attempt to connect. If this works, great, if not...

- Open a web browser
- Type the address of the router into the address bar. I believe it should be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.100. Try both, when you get prompted for a username and password, you know you have the right one. The username should either be blank or admin. You should have set the password when you initially configured the router. If you don't remember it, we'll need to do a cold reset on the router.
- Once you get into the configuration page, you'll see a field for "Local IP Address". If it's 192.168.1.1, change it to 192.168.0.1. If it's 192.168.1.100, change it to 192.168.1.10.
- Click "Save Settings" and close your browser. You should be able to get to the Internet now.

OP
M
Reaction score
Try this:

- Start with the computer turned off
- Unplug the power to the DSL modem and the router
- Plug the DSL modem in and wait 30 seconds
- Plug the router in and wait 30 seconds
- Start the computer and attempt to connect. If this works, great, if not...

- Open a web browser
- Type the address of the router into the address bar. I believe it should be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.100. Try both, when you get prompted for a username and password, you know you have the right one. The username should either be blank or admin. You should have set the password when you initially configured the router. If you don't remember it, we'll need to do a cold reset on the router.
- Once you get into the configuration page, you'll see a field for "Local IP Address". If it's 192.168.1.1, change it to 192.168.0.1. If it's 192.168.1.100, change it to 192.168.1.10.
- Click "Save Settings" and close your browser. You should be able to get to the Internet now.

ok i changed it from 192.168.1.1. to 192.168.01.1 and the settings were saved and it said renew/reset ip or whatever ..it cut me of from the connection (as indicated in my airport icon) and then i manually connected again using my password and all 4 bars of the airport became bold showing that i was connected

however i still cant browse the net using the method u listed above? is there anything else i need to change in my setup? above the local ip adress it says that im under "automatic config DHCP"

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok i changed it from 192.168.1.1. to 192.168.01.1 and the settings were saved and it said renew/reset ip or whatever ..it cut me of from the connection (as indicated in my airport icon) and then i manually connected again using my password and all 4 bars of the airport became bold showing that i was connected

however i still cant browse the net using the method u listed above? is there anything else i need to change in my setup? above the local ip adress it says that im under "automatic config DHCP"

Did you really use 192.168.01.1 or 192.168.0.1?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry that was a typo i used 192.168.0.1

I wish I would have heard from you last evening, when I was home in front of my WRT54G :)

It sounds like you changed the correct setting. And yes, unless your ISP uses static IP, it should be set as DHCP/automatic configuration. If they did use static IP, they would have supplied you with a set of parameters to use to configure your PC.

If you haven't already done so, shutdown the Mac. Power cycle the modem first and then power cycle the router. Then, boot up the Mac and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll have to take a look at my WRT54G this evening to give you some more instruction.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just talked to a very smart DSL tech that came here to fix my DSL. Smart and cute also! Female.

Anyway, sorry I did not get back to you sooner as I was without internet except dialup for 2 days now.

I confirmed with her that that Motorola Modem you have there does have a simple router. You change it to bridged mode in the config and let your Linksys handle the connect to PPPoE. I have had to do that with the 5100 and 5100B Speedstreams I have worked with but was not sure on that Motorola. I will try and find a manual later and tell you what to do. So nice to have DSL again!!

My issue was their end like I tried to tell Level 1 support but all said it was my Mac, Router, Modem, Wiring. Funny, as I told them all was fine. I was plugged into an overloaded router at the CO! hahaha.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just talked to a very smart DSL tech that came here to fix my DSL. Smart and cute also! Female.

Anyway, sorry I did not get back to you sooner as I was without internet except dialup for 2 days now.

I confirmed with her that that Motorola Modem you have there does have a simple router. You change it to bridged mode in the config and let your Linksys handle the connect to PPPoE. I have had to do that with the 5100 and 5100B Speedstreams I have worked with but was not sure on that Motorola. I will try and find a manual later and tell you what to do. So nice to have DSL again!!

My issue was their end like I tried to tell Level 1 support but all said it was my Mac, Router, Modem, Wiring. Funny, as I told them all was fine. I was plugged into an overloaded router at the CO! hahaha.

It is possible to have the two routers coexist if you so choose (which is the tack I usually take). But if you want to walk him through switching the modem over to bridged mode and set the router to do PPPoE/authentication, I'll shut up now :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is possible to have the two routers coexist if you so choose (which is the tack I usually take). But if you want to walk him through switching the modem over to bridged mode and set the router to do PPPoE/authentication, I'll shut up now :)

Naw, do not shut up! :D

I have to go shopping. My whole day was wasted having to wait for the tech but glad I did as it got solved.

Which ever works and gets the OP up and running is all I care about. Those Speedstream 5100b's are so easy to switch to bridged mode I usually just do it as it takes me 30 seconds.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Naw, do not shut up! :D

I have to go shopping. My whole day was wasted having to wait for the tech but glad I did as it got solved.

Which ever works and gets the OP up and running is all I care about. Those Speedstream 5100b's are so easy to switch to bridged mode I usually just do it as it takes me 30 seconds.

OK, I'm used to seeing the Westells which Verizon seems to use in this neck of the woods - they can be a pain to get working in bridged mode, plus I don't have one available here for reference.

So far, my method doesn't seem to be working anyway :D

OP
M
Reaction score

while we wait for drtravis' response how do i do it your way?

OP
M
Reaction score
I confirmed with her that that Motorola Modem you have there does have a simple router. You change it to bridged mode in the config and let your Linksys handle the connect to PPPoE. I have had to do that with the 5100 and 5100B Speedstreams I have worked with but was not sure on that Motorola. I will try and find a manual later and tell you what to do. So nice to have DSL again!!.

wow thanks for asking her for me...pls help me as soon as you get the chance im so anxious to have wireless working as its been such a hassle to connect via ethernet cable

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Turns out the modem is made by Netopia. I am checking the manual.
Is there any model number on the label on the bottom at all?
Just want to be sure to give you the right directions.

Here is the basic user guide.

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/2210-02/downloads/2210-02_UserManual.pdf

This manual in the above url is just the basics

If you find an exact model number let me know. Otherwise I can give you basic instructions. Took me a while to find the info as that modem is quite new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 128GB/4GB SDRAM & iMac 2.5GHz QuadCore 500GB HardDrive / 8GB SDRAM
May I ask a couple of ??

If I may hijack your thread to ask a few related additional questions. I am getting ready to switch my DSL service to att direct loop extreme DSL and I want to know if I can buy my own modem? Their service says "recommended" modem but doesn't specify the model or brand. Their modem price is $75 and is not included in this service package. Is that price ok or should I get my own?

I have airport on my powerbook already and I have a linksys router so I shouldn't need their wireless gateway, right?

How do you like their service so far? I'm leaving earthlink after 8 years and the only direct loop DSL provider with decent reviews that offers 6Mbps is AT&T. All of the others are 1/2 or 1/4 that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Some misc info that I recall, as I have AT&T DSL as well. May or may not be helpful...

1. ImageExtensions, are you sure AT&T won't give you the modem n/c? I have several friends with the same service and they always give you a modem when the tech comes out to install the service. I had a tech out to solve a wiring problem, and he even gave me a spare modem, just in case I needed it later. They hand them out like candy.

2. I recall having to enter my user name and password in the modem settings like is mentioned by the OP. But I also seem to remember needing to enter them in my old D-Link router settings as well. Check and see if there is an option to enter your email and password into your router's configuration settings.

3. Call Linksys tech support. I had my D-Link for 5+ years. Every so often, after a power outage or similar, I couldn't figure out the settings. I would call D-Link. I just told whoever answered that I couldn't connect and they would transfer me to tech support. It never mattered how old the router was. They would ask for the router model, the modem model, and the name of the ISP. They were pretty good about knowing what settings were needed for the different ISPs and modems.

4. AT&T typically uses the IP 192.168.1.254 for configuration of the modem. Enter it in your browser while connected and you find all kinds of info regarding your modem, account settings, IP addresses etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
Usually with DSL you have to put the modem into bridged mode and then enter in the PPPoe information into the router. Should be that easy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.