Mac forums I need your help!

Reaction score
I am selling my macbook to upgrade to a very sweet iMac and I need some advice. Reformatting is not an option so what is a good checklist of files I should purge/delete to protect my information from the new owner?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Create a new account. Then, delete the old account(s) and home folder(s). That should do it, unless you're paranoid (it's always possible to undelete files, unless you do a secure erase).

OP
R
Reaction score
Create a new account. Then, delete the old account(s) and home folder(s). That should do it, unless you're paranoid (it's always possible to undelete files, unless you do a secure erase).

Thanks. What is it you mean by home folders?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you delete the account it will give you the option to delete the user's home folder, effectively deleting all of that user's documents, movies, music, and all other personal settings.

OP
R
Reaction score
When you delete the account it will give you the option to delete the user's home folder, effectively deleting all of that user's documents, movies, music, and all other personal settings.

Will the programs that I've installed be removed as well? That's why I can't reformat. The deal is contingent on a few pricey programs I have installed still being around, but won't be giving up the cdees for.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will the programs that I've installed be removed as well? That's why I can't reformat. The deal is contingent on a few pricey programs I have installed still being around, but won't be giving up the cdees for.

You are not legally allowed to sell that machine without providing the original install media and serial numbers. Any applications that you can not provide the original media and serial numbers for should be deleted.

OP
R
Reaction score
You are not legally allowed to sell that machine without providing the original install media and serial numbers. Any applications that you can not provide the original media and serial numbers for should be deleted.

I don't even have my MacOS cdees that came from Futureshop when I bought the macbook and you're saying because of that my transaction is illegal? lol

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't even have my MacOS cdees that came from Futureshop when I bought the macbook and you're saying because of that my transaction is illegal? lol

You should have been provided with 2 System Discs as part of the original purchase, but since every Mac comes with OS X, the license is tied to your hardware. It would be OK to sell it without the discs.

But, let's say for example, that you have Microsoft Office installed on there, but you don't have the discs or serial numbers. It would be legally questionable to leave that software installed - particularly if you do indeed have the discs and intend to install them on another machine.

OP
R
Reaction score
You should have been provided with 2 System Discs as part of the original purchase, but since every Mac comes with OS X, the license is tied to your hardware. It would be OK to sell it without the discs.

But, let's say for example, that you have Microsoft Office installed on there, but you don't have the discs or serial numbers. It would be legally questionable to leave that software installed - particularly if you do indeed have the discs and intend to install them on another machine.

I suppose that's true. But it was also technically illegal that I downloaded an mp3 last night and streamed a movie online. heh

Anyway, I see your point. Thanks for the advice.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suppose that's true. But it was also technically illegal that I downloaded an mp3 last night and streamed a movie online. heh

Anyway, I see your point. Thanks for the advice.

Do note that our forum rules (link in my signature) prohibit the discussion of illegal activity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.