• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A bit of advice here

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I have a MacBook Pro 17" 2.33Ghz that is about 1 and half years old. I bought a new MacBook Pro 2.53Ghz a few weeks ago. I have been trying to sell the older MBP but have had little luck. I paid 349,000 yen for it and the best offer I have had is just 100,000yen (about 1000 US). I know that it is old and that it is secondhand but I just see more value in keeping it and having an empty bank account for a few weeks. I have been looking at buying a Mini soon.

So my advice keep or sell? I will connect it to my HDTV 40" for HD movies and the like that will hopefully come to Japan in the near future. I think adding more RAM (2x2GB with a 3GB limit will improve things)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
That's a tough call. Usually if I have stuff just sitting around the house that I am not using for any period of time, I will go ahead and sell it, regardless of the hit I take on it. I would rather make a little money on it then it gather dust and not be used at all.

So I guess what I am saying is that if you are going to use it, keep it, if not, sell it. Also, don't be in a huge rush to sell it either, I usually let my stuff sit on Craigslist for a while if people are trying to haggle me down, there are always people willing to pay your full asking price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0ghz Core Duo 1 Gig Ram 80Gig HD, iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 1gig RAM 320gig HD
Also, don't be in a huge rush to sell it either, I usually let my stuff sit on Craigslist for a while if people are trying to haggle me down, there are always people willing to pay your full asking price.

so true I recently sold an imac on craigslist and I had it posted for 950 and I had offers as low as 650 for it in the first few days, but a couple days later I sold it for my full asking price.

As for selling it the issue is that the longer you old on to it the less it will be worth. So if you have no use for it then sell it and just wait to get the most you can for it. Otherwise keep it and have a nice backup laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
It's true about electronics. Over time they depreciate in value. Remember then DVD players were $500? Or how about iBook clamshells selling for $1400....??? :D

OP
B&O

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Yeah of course things devalue. It just seems to have devalued so much that I don't see any reason to sell it.

There is no point me using cragslist as it has a Japanese keyboard so I think it is best to sell it locally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Yeah of course things devalue. It just seems to have devalued so much that I don't see any reason to sell it.

There is no point me using cragslist as it has a Japanese keyboard so I think it is best to sell it locally.

craigslist = locally.

The tokyo craigslist doesn't seem so active though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.