Looking for a System Builder's OEM Windows XP

Reaction score
So I'm beginning to think that the reason why the Bootcamp partition is not showing up in the Windows Setup is because the copy of Windows XP my friend gave me is not legit.

So now I'm on Ebay looking for the cheapest price for a legit System's Builder's OEM Windows XP because I heard you can install that on my Macbook Pro. But the problem is, I'm really new to Ebay and I need help selecting a legit copy.

Can you guys help me with that?

I looked at these:

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION OEM WITH COA NEW - eBay (item 350331277231 end time Mar-28-10 11:03:01 PDT)

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION - NEW SEALED - eBay (item 110510689190 end time Mar-29-10 15:13:33 PDT)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2552182&CatId=672
But I don't know if it's the System Builders OEM edition and if it's legit.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me find a System Builder's OEM version of Windows XP.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Good luck :) This is Windows we're talking about here. It's overpriced. You could just give up on Boot Camp and reclaim all that space on your hard disk, then take the money you would have spent on Windows, and buy some Macintosh software! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp2.2G core2D, 4g ddr2, 750g, 1TB external, 80g I-Pod,iPad2 16g
So I'm beginning to think that the reason why the Bootcamp partition is not showing up in the Windows Setup is because the copy of Windows XP my friend gave me is not legit.

So now I'm on Ebay looking for the cheapest price for a legit System's Builder's OEM Windows XP because I heard you can install that on my Macbook Pro. But the problem is, I'm really new to Ebay and I need help selecting a legit copy.

Can you guys help me with that?

I looked at these:

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION OEM WITH COA NEW - eBay (item 350331277231 end time Mar-28-10 11:03:01 PDT)

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION - NEW SEALED - eBay (item 110510689190 end time Mar-29-10 15:13:33 PDT)

Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 OEM Version at TigerDirect.com
But I don't know if it's the System Builders OEM edition and if it's legit.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me find a System Builder's OEM version of Windows XP.

Thanks in advance

Don't panic all you need is any version of XP home (or pro) with a COA. I bid one from ebay that was ex Dell. It works fine on my MBP is registered and everything. Of course it is legal because These were off loaded by Dell as they have moved on to more recent versions of Windows. This link might help you:
Windows XP Home Edition on eBay (end time 28-Mar-10 20:38:45 BST)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Be careful buying from eBay. Only one of those versions looks to be a full OEM system builder's copy - and that's the first one you linked. The version advertised by Tiger may be an upgrade version which you can not use. It says OEM which normally means a full version but doesn't state so. Call Tiger and ask first.

Stay away from branded versions. Dell, Sony, HP, etc. They may or may not work. Why take a chance?

Regards.

Reaction score
Brunel's advice is not accurate or correct. Boot Camp will not work unless the copy is either a full retail install version (most expensive) or an OEM System Builder's version. These are available from newegg.com, as indicated, but beware of what you get off eBay -- even if advertised as the correct item they may not be. Even with Paypal you may not wind up with much recourse. I agree with chscag and the other posters - be careful with eBay and it's probably worth spending a bit more to get what you know will work. Good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp2.2G core2D, 4g ddr2, 750g, 1TB external, 80g I-Pod,iPad2 16g
Brunel's advice is not accurate or correct. Boot Camp will not work unless the copy is either a full retail install version (most expensive) or an OEM System Builder's version. These are available from newegg.com, as indicated, but beware of what you get off eBay -- even if advertised as the correct item they may not be. Even with Paypal you may not wind up with much recourse. I agree with chscag and the other posters - be careful with eBay and it's probably worth spending a bit more to get what you know will work. Good luck

Dear SammySlim perhaps you didn't read my post properly. I have a full retail version with COA stickers, but the printed labels says that it came from Dell. The only difference between a system builders disc and, e.g. Dell, is that there is a file which includes Dell logo etc for startup and shutdown and those don't get used in a normal 'clean' windows installation. This 'Dell' disc is now working perfectly on my Mac. It worked fine in Bootcamp and now is equally fine in Parallels!
As for ebay well check the sellers ratings first. I have never had a problem in that market place - either buying or selling.

kevinoh just read the description and make your choice. I live in the UK but bought my disc from a German vendor and all was fine as I have said.

OP
K
Reaction score
I'm thinking buying the one on Tigerdirect. But dang, why does a 10 year old OS have to be so expensive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Because it's MS. If you're paying full price, why not just get Windows Vista or 7? They are better in every way.

Also, what is it you need Windows for? Boot Camp eats a lot of hard disk space and there are apparently some issues that can stem from using it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm thinking buying the one on Tigerdirect. But dang, why does a 10 year old OS have to be so expensive?

Because XP is still very popular and the one operating system that will accept most any hardware and software without making a fuss. :D More copies of XP are in use world-wide than any other OS.

I'm using Win 7 Home Premium from a BC partition on this machine and have had difficulties finding drivers for older hardware; hardware that is supported and working fine with XP.

And since XP is no longer being distributed by MS, it's getting hard to find and that drives the price up. Same thing is happening to Leopard. Try to find a black retail copy of Leopard at a decent price! :(

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
What happens when my computer crashes for some reason and all the memory get erased? Can I not install Windows again with the same OEM disk? What if I call Microsoft?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
What happens when my computer crashes for some reason and all the memory get erased? Can I not install Windows again with the same OEM disk? What if I call Microsoft?
The System Builder's disk is similar to the OEM disk that comes with new Windows computers. What I mean is that as long as you don't change your hardware drastically then Windows should still let you reinstall itself. It just won't allow you to install Windows on a different computer or if you change your hardware too much then it will think you have a different computer. That's just one of the pains of having Windows. In that case you would have to call Microsoft and plead your situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Try this one. CompUSA.com | N09-02142 | MS Windows XP Home SP3 I read through the reviews and people claim it is a full version OS and you can install it on up to 10 machines that you own. I actually purchased one of these since they are increasingly difficult to find and under $100 is a good price!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is a very good price, the best I've seen in several months. I bought my copy from NewEgg when it was on sale but that was well over a year ago. At that time the same version was less than $70.00!

Also, where did you get the info that you could install this particular XP SP3 on up to 10 machines? You can if you buy 10 licenses, but not with this copy as it's a single install. (one license)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is a very good price, the best I've seen in several months. I bought my copy from NewEgg when it was on sale but that was well over a year ago. At that time the same version was less than $70.00!

Also, where did you get the info that you could install this particular XP SP3 on up to 10 machines? You can if you buy 10 licenses, but not with this copy as it's a single install. (one license)

Regards.

Ok, took me a while searching but I finally remembered I read it in the Answers/Questions tab for this product. You're right, I remembered it was something to do with 10 times, but it was 10 installs on the same machine. My bad, sorry for the misleading comments.

Screen shot 2010-04-03 at 3.20.11 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. Got it. It talks about "installs", however, it doesn't say anything at all about activation - and that's where MS limits it. Typically, an OEM system builders version can be used up to 10 times but only one copy can be activated
at the same time. In other words, the same PID can only be in use on one machine at a time. The other restriction is that it has to be on the same machine - can't be moved machine to machine. Supposedly. :)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. Got it. It talks about "installs", however, it doesn't say anything at all about activation - and that's where MS limits it. Typically, an OEM system builders version can be used up to 10 times but only one copy can be activated
at the same time. In other words, the same PID can only be in use on one machine at a time. The other restriction is that it has to be on the same machine - can't be moved machine to machine. Supposedly. :)

Regards.

Yeah, I guess I'll find out some day when I eventually get an iMac too. Right now all I have is a MBP.
I went back to those Q/A's and further down the page, someone asked the same question and the reply was "Yes, it will work on more than one machine at a time". Soooo... conflicting info there. Whatever. I really got it to Bootcamp on my MBP for a couple of Win only things that I use.

OP
K
Reaction score
Try this one. CompUSA.com | N09-02142 | MS Windows XP Home SP3 I read through the reviews and people claim it is a full version OS and you can install it on up to 10 machines that you own. I actually purchased one of these since they are increasingly difficult to find and under $100 is a good price!

That one was the one that I was actually looking at except it was on Tiger Direct. Same company though.

Do you think I should get XP or 7?

Also, should I install the 32 bit or the 64 bit version? My MacBook Pro has 4g memory and 250 hard drive space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.