Help empowering BSD gcc on iMacBook

Reaction score
Looking to install gcc 4.x on a Mac Mini with an INTEL processor running OSX 10.6. I want to actually use the BSD capability of my Mac and it would be nice to do so without being tortured. Eventually, I'm going to want to link in CUDA (so I can use my graphics card for parallel processing)

Please don't respond with "google it"; I've been googling the whole day. If you don't know, keep it to yourself. ;). If you know and you don't like to share, still keep it to yourself.

I went to the (useless) Mac website and downloaded XTOOLs with 1 GB of total crap only to discover that the only version available is intended for a PowerPc. Sorry but that's painful!!!

Sorry, I'm not really a system admin guy. I'm a s/w developer and to the largest extent possible I like to spend my time writing s/w. I'm trying to do so on 3 Platforms right now.

P.S. I saw a similar thread but it didn't look like it was addressing the INTEL processor and it looked unnecessarily complicated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Your tone sounds like that of a developer... but shortcomings aside, you probably are looking for MacPorts. You can link up to whatever repos you feel are useful and get whatever binaries you feel you need. Good luck.

The MacPorts Project -- Home

baby_crying.jpg

OP
G
Reaction score
Your tone sounds like that of a developer...

I plead guilty. :| Our environment at work was "free"; i.e., somebody else cared about it. I liked that. Time is limited and right now, I'm playing in too many Platforms.

(Curse of the new market is everybody and his dog seems to have invented their own programming languages, which means I'm playing in a lot of sandboxes.)

shortcomings aside, you probably are looking for MacPorts.

It looks precisely like what I was looking for. ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Best of luck! The shell on Mac OS is pretty decent, and you can always add others.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I went to the (useless) Mac website and downloaded XTOOLs with 1 GB of total crap only to discover that the only version available is intended for a PowerPc. Sorry but that's painful!!!
Sorry, but I have to doubt that. I logged into the Mac Dev Center and the first Xcode link I saw (right on the front page) was for Xcode 3.2.4. As noted on Wikipedia, "Xcode 3.2 was released with Mac OS X v10.6 "Snow Leopard", and won't install on any earlier version of Mac OS X." (source). Since Snow Leopard is Intel-only, that couldn't be a PPC build.

OP
G
Reaction score
Sorry, but I have to doubt that. I logged into the Mac Dev Center and the first Xcode link I saw (right on the front page) was for Xcode 3.2.4. As noted on Wikipedia, "Xcode 3.2 was released with Mac OS X v10.6 "Snow Leopard", and won't install on any earlier version of Mac OS X." (source). Since Snow Leopard is Intel-only, that couldn't be a PPC build.

I'm confused. Nothing on my system configuration mentioned Snow Leopard but Darwin. Also, I thought the version of xcode I installed was 3.2.4. (I've no clue were the logs are from the install. I'm pretty new to the Mac world and I'm not used to doing system admin stuff.)

System Software Overview:
System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.4.0 <--- Snow Leopard isn't mentioned?
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Not Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No <--- This means I'm 32 bit?
Time since boot: 25 minutes

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.4.0 <--- Snow Leopard isn't mentioned?

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No <--- This means I'm 32 bit?
OS X 10.6 = Snow Leopard. See here for more info.

The 64-bit part simply means that you aren't using the 64-bit kernel. You can still run 64-bit applications. Open up Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities) and look at the "Kind" column to see all of the apps running as 64-bit apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I don't get it. If you install the current version of XCode, you get GCC 4.2.1.

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569) <-- is Snow Leopard

OP
G
Reaction score
System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569) <-- is Snow Leopard

Hehehe. Thing is it doesn't say snow leopard on it. I did end up reading about snow leopard on wiki yesterday. ;P

I've no clue why some companies make their product naming policies so confusing. An intelligent person would make up their mind. Either label everything "Snow Leopard" or call it by the version number. Why use both and expect people to know. That's just plain evil.

Of course, I think Sun made an uglier mess with Java but that's just me.

Just one of the ways, that is hard to re-tool these days.

OP
G
Reaction score
OS X 10.6 = Snow Leopard. See here for more info.

The 64-bit part simply means that you aren't using the 64-bit kernel. You can still run 64-bit applications. Open up Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities) and look at the "Kind" column to see all of the apps running as 64-bit apps.

Thanks for your help by the way.

Yes, I have gcc 4 by the way and it runs. Thanks!!!

I guess I've got all the iPhone stuff too which I will eventually want as well.

Thanks for clarifying about the Kernel which I guess what "Darwin" refers to.

I assume my physical hardware is 32 bit?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Core 2 Duo is a 64-bit processor. Most 64-bit processor based Macs do not boot into the 64-bit kernel and some in fact will not do so. Again, this doesn't mean that you can't run 64-bit applications though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.