Error Code -36

Reaction score
I have a MacBook and a shiny new iMac. I can successfully copy files from my MacBook to my network share but am unable to copy some files from my iMac to the same exact network share.

The network share is fine. Obviously, since the MacBook has no issues. I've noticed that files I open and modify on the iMac are the ones I cannot send to the network share without the error code -36 (that's negative 36). This is not the case on the MacBook.

In particular, I have some XCode projects on my network share. I copied them to my iMac to work on then I wanted to "back up my work" at the end of the day by simply copying the files back to the network share. It is here I get this error:

Code:
The Finder can't complete the operation because some
data in "Picker" can't be read or written.
(Error code -36)

"Picker" is my working directory. This issue is obviously the iMac (unless I'm reading this issue completely wrong) as both the MacBook and the iMac are running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (with all updates).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
-36 is an IO error... Probably related, in this case, to network disturbances.. I humbly suggest trying the copy using command line rather than the GUI, in my experience that has been more resilient when copying large quantities of files.

Mac OS System Error Codes: 0 to -261 <--- list of - apple errors

OP
A
Reaction score
-36 is an IO error... Probably related, in this case, to network disturbances.. I humbly suggest trying the copy using command line rather than the GUI, in my experience that has been more resilient when copying large quantities of files.

Mac OS System Error Codes: 0 to -261 <--- list of - apple errors

Sorry, I should have noted that I can copy from terminal. However, I'm interested in resolving the GUI issue. I guess I just have to accept this error -36.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the GUI has some timing issues that the terminal simply doesn't. I'm not exactly sure why... if you find out the resolution I'd be interested to know.. but I'm a CLI guy anyway :)

OP
A
Reaction score
I think the GUI has some timing issues that the terminal simply doesn't. I'm not exactly sure why... if you find out the resolution I'd be interested to know.. but I'm a CLI guy anyway :)

I'm a linux server admin, so I've some *nix background. But..... a big giant but... I bought this iMac so I wouldn't have to open terminal, but I guess.. SURPRISE!!! hehe...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, I'm a recovering *nix admin.. and now dev :D

and I'm still more comfortable in terminal than anywhere else.. old habits die hard

One thing, I've had to WORK on maintaining this thing a lot less.

BTW, you'll find that OS X (and really BSD) are more like AIX than linux.. in that there are configuration databases maintained.. rather than flat files

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.