Start-Up Troubles -- Tried Almost Everything!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" display, 750GB HD, 16GB of RAM
Hello! I'm new to this forum, so I apologize in advance if I seem a little green! I'm not very experienced with the Mac OS; I've always been a Windows guy myself (sorry!), but I had to get a MacBook Pro for school when I switched majors last Fall.

Also, I really apologize for the length of this post, but I'm kind of freaking out here. This computer was really, really expensive, and it's mandatory for my major, and has all of my work on it. Any help or comments are greatly appreciated!

Here is some prerequisite information before I continue:
-The computer involved is a MacBook Pro from June 2012 (not the newer Retina Display one) running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
-It has a 750GB HD, 16GB of RAM, and a 13.3" screen.
-I bought the computer used.
-I have never experienced any other problems remotely like this with the computer.
WHAT WORKS:
-Internet Recovery, Mac OS X Utilities
WHAT DOESN'T WORK:
-Everything else

So last night, my computer froze. I could do nothing but switch between desktops (swiping to the left or right with three fingers), so I pressed the power button to force shut down. But, upon rebooting, I was greeted by a folder with a question mark, flashing on and off. After doing a bunch of stuff (resetting the PRAM, resetting the SMC, trying and failing to enter both single-user and safe modes, etc.), I finally got Internet Recovery to work (after multiple attempts and receiving multiple error codes, none of which have ANY support or even mention on Apple's site) and the computer to get to a place where I could access Mac OS X Utilities. Unfortunately, I have no Time Machine backups, nor do I have the reinstall disc (I bought it used), and the "Get Help Online" option yielded nothing. However, Disk Utility was readily available. The day was saved! Or so it seemed.

When I click on Disk Utility, the only options on the left are "SuperDrive"--the CD drive, which is greyed out--and "disk0," with a dropdown category of "Mac OS X Base System." I have scourged the internet far and wide, and I can find absolutely nothing on what to do next, or what these directories even are. The Apple support site says to highlight my HD, go to the First Aid category, and click "Repair Disk;" however, my HD is not listed (unless it is, for some reason, going by the name of "disk0") and the "Repair Disk" option is greyed out, as are all the others.

I have absolutely no idea what to do next. I have tried booting up in safe mode and single-user mode, but the computer is having none of that. I've reset the PRAM and the SMC. I've tried holding cmd+R, D, and R during bootup to no avail. The only thing that seems to work is holding opt down during startup to get to Internet Recovery. I seriously cannot fathom the possibility that the forced shut down I performed last night could have seriously damaged the physical HD. I may not be an expert on the Mac OS, but I do have some basic computer knowledge. I'm probably going to take it in to a Genius tomorrow (it's Labor Day today), but I'd really like to get this solved without them (my budget is almost non-existent). I'm also really, really hoping that a complete wipe of the HD is not necessary.

Again, I really apologize for the length of this post! But I really want to be thorough so the problem can be solved and quickly and painlessly as possible. Thanks for reading!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and wecome to the forums.

Mountain Lion OS X.8 is the latest operating system so it is the new one. Under warranty back to Apple reseller or Genius Bar. To enter Recovery simply Command + R. If you can a ccess recovery run Repair Disk as sounds like the hard drive has been seriously corrupted.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G'day and wecome to the forums.

Mountain Lion OS X.8 is the latest operating system so it is the new one. Under warranty back to Apple reseller or Genius Bar. To enter Recovery simply Command + R. If you can a ccess recovery run Repair Disk as sounds like the hard drive has been seriously corrupted.

I apologize for the confusing wording. I fixed it! I meant to say that it isn't the latest MacBook--the Retina Display one, which came out in July of 2013, if I'm not mistaken. Also, I bought it used. The warranty was still valid when I bought it; however, I'm not sure how much time was left on it when I purchased it. It very well could have expired by now. Is there anything I can do if the warranty has, in fact, expired?

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, and thanks very much for the warm welcome! :D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Welcome aboard. For the benefit of those who may find this thread in the future what fixed it?

I suspect it involved selecting the disk identified as disk0 in Disk Utility and running the Repair Disk routine.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome aboard. For the benefit of those who may find this thread in the future what fixed it?

I suspect it involved selecting the disk identified as disk0 in Disk Utility and running the Repair Disk routine.

Actually, my problem hasn't been solved yet :( I would try doing that, but the "Repair Disk" button is greyed out (as are all the other options), rendering me unable to do anything.

I've been thinking about it some more, and I think that perhaps "disk0" is a disk image of the OS downloaded from the internet during the "Internet Recovery" process, and that I should try using the "Restore" function to copy "disk0" into "Mac OS X Base System," seeing as the "Restore" tab is the only thing that I can actually do at this point. However, I'm a little hesitant, as I don't want to frak up my computer. Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know more than us on what may be released in July 2013. Used does not matter it carries a 12 month warranty. If the original purchaser took out the optional AppleCare for another two years, that can be transferred also.

Now go to this link, pop in the serial number and finmd out precisely how much, if any, warranty is left:-

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know more than us on what may be released in July 2013. Used does not matter it carries a 12 month warranty. If the original purchaser took out the optional AppleCare for another two years, that can be transferred also.

Now go to this link, pop in the serial number and finmd out precisely how much, if any, warranty is left:-

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Hah, again, I misspoke :( I meant July of 2012. The Retina Display one! So I just checked, though, it doesn't have any warranty left...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well no warranty not July 2012 then for sure. Got a model number or anything? The mid 2012 was released in June 2012 so must have warranty. There was also a mid 2011 13" which would be out of warranty.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well no warranty not July 2012 then for sure. Got a model number or anything? The mid 2012 was released in June 2012 so must have warranty. There was also a mid 2011 13" which would be out of warranty.

Hey, I thought I might give an update for anyone who may view this with the same problem. I went to the Apple store today for a diagnostic test, and it turns out that the cable connecting the HDD to the board was kaput. I talked to the Genius at the Bar, and he told me that "disk0" is the drive downloaded from Apple's servers during the Internet Recovery process. I wish I'd had a second Mac, because that would have been an easy diagnostic test to do.

Anyway, I'm posting this from my newly recommissioned (and newly cleaned--thanks, Apple Genius!) MacBook Pro. Thanks for all your help, harryb2448!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Out of interest did warranty cover it?

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Out of interest did warranty cover it?

I believe it would have; however, turns out mine was June 2011, not 2012. Either I wasn't remembering it correctly or the guy on eBay pulled a fast one on me :p Anyway, for anyone's future reference, I'd recommend doing the FireWire thing to diagnose the HDD. I didn't have another Mac, so I had to take it to the store... the cable cost $17, but labor was $40! Ended up spending close to $60 for a darn cable. Oh well. I'm just glad it's fixed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Look on the $60 as money well spent. You know the cable price is reasonable and here in Australia our local Apple reseller has a minimum service charge for repairs starting at $110 for the first hour or any part thereof, and the same for each succeeding hour and/or past thereof.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.