• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Express - some questions

Reaction score
Hi. I'm running a Mac Pro with 2x2.66 Dual core Intel Xeon and 2GB RAM. It's on Mac OSX 10.4.10

My query concerns Final Cut Express: last time I tried it (on a MacBook) it seemed really slow and wanted to render the video after every single little adjustment. So frustrating. I gave up and went back to editing video on my PC.
Well, now I want to try again, only this time on my Mac Pro. Does anybody out there run this software on a Mac Pro? Any problems/comments? Is the constant rendering a part of the software or was it because I was using the wrong (non-Intel) version on the MacBook?

Any input appreciated, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
My guess is you had RT Extreme set to something a mere Macbook couldn't handle. The graphics card in the Mac Pro should handle it fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac Pro 2 X 2.66 Dual-Core
I have the same mac pro, my remedy was to put a junk load of ram in it. What is the RT Extreme? What does it do? How does it work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
What is the RT Extreme? What does it do? How does it work?

Oh right, I was about to answer this until I got side tracked with panoramic video.

Really the best answer is Apples (Final Cut Pro 6. Incredible Real-Time Effects). The short answer is that RT Extreme is part of the Final Cut editor system that allows you to edit effects in pretty much in real time as opposed to having to render to see the result. I believe this is one of those tools that heavily relies on the GPU for best performance. This technology has been available in FCP since version 4 and in FCE since version 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac Pro 2 X 2.66 Dual-Core
yeah, I have seen this in prefrences but diddnt know anything about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.