what should i do?

Reaction score
hey been saving for about a year for a mac, had few questions

1. is apple considered liberal or conservative? i am very liberal and i have a couple liberal friends that use macs i just want to make sure apple is liberal, cuz i hear they are very fascist with their customers :S

2. as far as smartphones go, i had a iphone 3gs for a while, but i been a android user since the g1 and i prefer android.

3. been reading everything bout macs online, and thinking of getting mac book pro 13"...i want to use mostly to play Star wars the old republic. but the problems are that SWTOR isnt native mac support atm so im gona have to use bootcamp windows.

also im a bit angry that for the price of mbp 13" (~1300) i can get a windows lappy with 10 times more power.... :S

i see the MBP 13" has a intel 3000 HD card, to get the dedicated GPU id have to get 15" which is like 1800 (WAY OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE!!!)

but i been reading botu the intel 3000 and they say its pretty good for a integrated chip....and shood be able to handle SWTOR...

4. which macs have the apple symbol that glows when u turn it on?
also which iphones have the apple symbol that glows when u turn it on? i looked at all the iphones ever made and never saw one that hada glowing apple logo, but i have a friend in ireland and his iphone apple symbol glows (i think its 3gs idk :S)

just wnat to make sure my mac purchase is good, for those of us living on minimnum wage, buying apple products is srz bzns!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
1. is apple considered liberal or conservative? i am very liberal and i have a couple liberal friends that use macs i just want to make sure apple is liberal, cuz i hear they are very fascist with their customers :S

Other than your "liberal/conservative" status concerns;)...in my opinion...sounds like you would be best with a Windows computer.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
1. Apple is a corporation, so its not really liberal or conservative - its a computer. If you want it to be liberal, then steve jobs was a bit of a hippy and was a Buddhist, so in that case Apple is liberal and did support the gay marriage campaign in California, and Steve Jobs was a buddy of Bono.

2. You can own an Android phone and have a Mac, that's fine

3. You get what you pay for. The Mac will last longer and is well built. A cheap windows PC will likely not last, wont have as good a resale value and you dont get OSX and all the other Apple software that makes it a workhorse out the box. If money is an issue, consider a Mac from the refurb store - same mac, lower price

4. All mac laptops have a glowing apple symbol on the lid.

If gaming is your main concern, why do you really want a mac?

OP
Sento
Reaction score
hey guys

yeah i talked to the mac chat support, i think its cool mac runs a few games natively like EVE online thats a pretty cool game...

guys i think im gonna try to get refurbished mac off ebay....

can u recomend a specific year for a mac laptop? that is cheap but good? just need a LITTLE power to play eve online which isnt that demanding, ig uess for TOR i can use a PC

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can u recomend a specific year for a mac laptop?

Since you mentioned "specific year"...does this mean that you're considering used computers as well?

Because Apple is primarily selling 2011 models...with some 2010 models in the refurbished list.

- Nick

p.s. There is one 2009 model in the refurb. list...but it's a Mac Pro desktop...which is certainly not what you're looking for.

OP
Sento
Reaction score
Since you mentioned "specific year"...does this mean that you're considering used computers as well?

Because Apple is primarily selling 2011 models...with some 2010 models in the refurbished list.

- Nick

p.s. There is one 2009 model in the refurb. list...but it's a Mac Pro desktop...which is certainly not what you're looking for.

yes im willing to go used too, and refurbed on ebay.com

i been looking at the used, but they all seem to be having like broken optical drive or broken webcam,

refurbished seesm to be 100% in order.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes im willing to go used too, and refurbed on ebay.com

If you're considering refurbed. why not just get a refurb. from Apple directly?

Refurbished Mac Computers - Refurbished Laptops, Notebooks & Desktop Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

I don't trust anyone on e-Bay who's selling refurbed Apple computers (unless they're from a reputable well-known company/website).

i been looking at the used, but they all seem to be having like broken optical drive or broken webcam, refurbished seesm to be 100% in order.

PLENTY of good used Apple computers out there...but if you're only looking at the cheapest ones listed on e-Bay...they're "CHEAP" for a reason (stuff broken or not working). I bet within 5 minutes...I can have a list longer than your arm of good used computers on e-Bay!;)...then price is the only consideration.

Don't forget to check Craig's List as well.:)

- Nick

OP
Sento
Reaction score
If you're considering refurbed. why not just get a refurb. from Apple directly?

Refurbished Mac Computers - Refurbished Laptops, Notebooks & Desktop Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

I don't trust anyone on e-Bay who's selling refurbed Apple computers (unless they're from a reputable well-known company/website).

PLENTY of good used Apple computers out there...but if you're only looking at the cheapest ones listed on e-Bay...they're "CHEAP" for a reason (stuff broken or not working). I bet within 5 minutes...I can have a list longer than your arm of good used computers on e-Bay!;)...then price is the only consideration.

Don't forget to check Craig's List as well.:)

- Nick

nice i been to tat apple refurb site before they didnt have any macbook pros for refurbed but now i found one for 929 tats pretty ok!!

is craigslist safe? i mean in ebay u can see teh buyers rep and stuff...craigslist its some crazy guy with macs LOL!!!

so liek what year mac should i look for? from what i understand on the eve specs, u need 2ghz procesor, 2gb ram, and a ok video card...

so i figure 2007 macbook pro shood do it, 2gb ram, 2.2ghz core 2 duo,a nd i think it has 8800gt card

OP
Sento
Reaction score
HOLY CRAP I JUST FOUND A MACBOOK PRO 13" THATS ONLY 1 MONTH OLD ON CRAIGSLIST
800$
sry caps lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nice i been to tat apple refurb site before they didnt have any macbook pros for refurbed but now i found one for 929 tats pretty ok!!

The refurbished inventory at the Apple Store changes frequently...even by the hour. So what you saw there just now...could be gone by tomorrow (or not).

is craigslist safe? i mean in ebay u can see teh buyers rep and stuff...craigslist its some crazy guy with macs LOL!!!

If you're talking "computer safe"...well how much better can it be?? You get to see, use, and touch the computer before buying it on Craig's List (thus you can insure it's operation and cosmetic appearance before buying it)...can't do that with e-Bay.

If you're talking "personal safety"...meeting in a public place is a good idea. Such as a McDonald's.

so liek what year mac should i look for? from what i understand on the eve specs, u need 2ghz procesor, 2gb ram, and a ok video card...

I'm not familiar with the specs. of the games you want to play...but other than that...almost any MacBook or MacBook Pro from 2007 on will meet the specs you listed above (2ghz Core 2 Duo cpu, and 2 gig ram).

I recently purchased a "Late 2009" MacBook for my wife (2.26ghz cpu, 250gig HD, 2gig ram, 9400m graphics)...for $400 off Craig's List (great computer)!:) No reason you shouldn't be able to do the same:) (or get a deal close to that)...you just have to be patient until one becomes available.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HOLY CRAP I JUST FOUND A MACBOOK PRO 13" THATS ONLY 1 MONTH OLD ON CRAIGSLIST
800$
sry caps lol

Possibly a "phishing" scam:(...trying to get your e-mail info! Lots of those to watch out for on CL! If it seems too good to be true...it probably is!;)

The least expensive 13" MacBook Pro currently sells for $1199...so why would someone sell a 1 month old one for just $800?? It's "possible"...but unlikely. And if it is true...it's probably sold already (great deals go VERY fast on CL...if they're legit).

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A corporation isn't a person so it doesn't hold political views.

Other than your "liberal/conservative" status concerns;)...in my opinion...sounds like you would be best with a Windows computer.:)

- Nick
Agreed. It seems like the cost constraints and concerns about the hardware make a Windows machine the obvious choice here.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
hey been saving for about a year for a mac, had few questions

Are you 12 years old, or are you just trolling?

2. as far as smartphones go, i had a iphone 3gs for a while, but i been a android user since the g1 and i prefer android.

Good for you. What does that have to do with the question?

3. been reading everything bout macs online, and thinking of getting mac book pro 13"...i want to use mostly to play Star wars the old republic. but the problems are that SWTOR isnt native mac support atm so im gona have to use bootcamp windows.

So, why would you even be looking at a Mac? Your stated primary purpose.... to play SWTOR... isn't a capability of the machine (natively). You'd need to install a copy of Windows, which will cost you at minimum another $100 over the top of the cost of the machine. That just seems silly.

also im a bit angry that for the price of mbp 13" (~1300) i can get a windows lappy with 10 times more power.... :S

You might be surprised when you start comparing like for like in terms of specification, build quality and portability.

i see the MBP 13" has a intel 3000 HD card, to get the dedicated GPU id have to get 15" which is like 1800 (WAY OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE!!!)

but i been reading botu the intel 3000 and they say its pretty good for a integrated chip....and shood be able to handle SWTOR...

Laptops, in general, suck for gaming - and it gets worse when the laptop isn't even ably equipped for the task. "Good enough", doesn't usually provide an immersive or enjoyable experience. If that really is your sole purpose for the machine, for $1300, you could build a pretty nice Windows-based gaming rig with a good sized monitor.

4. which macs have the apple symbol that glows when u turn it on?
also which iphones have the apple symbol that glows when u turn it on? i looked at all the iphones ever made and never saw one that hada glowing apple logo, but i have a friend in ireland and his iphone apple symbol glows (i think its 3gs idk :S)

None of the iPhones, iPod Touches nor iPads have had a glowing logo to date. That has been exclusive to the Mac notebooks.

just wnat to make sure my mac purchase is good, for those of us living on minimnum wage, buying apple products is srz bzns!!!

Seems like you're looking for a BMW on a Chevy budget. This last sentence pretty much answered your own question.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not to be a meenie here but.....

10X the power? Show me any laptop/notebook at any price with 10 times the processing power of any MBP. There is nothing with 10x the processing power. Do you know how much 10x is?

I am an audio Tech/Engineer besides a computer/network tech. I have had people say a 100 Watt amp is 20x louder than a 50 Watt Amp. If that were true, it would blow down your walls and blow out your ear drums. to get 3DB (Decibels) louder which is barely noticeable, you need 2x the power.

So yes you can for the price of an MBP fine a Windows notebook with higher specs, but no 10x. If you like Windows, I would suggest just getting a Windows laptop to go with your Android phone and avoiding the Mac altogether.

OP
Sento
Reaction score
hey when u guys use mac laptops do u just use the touchpad?

i tried a macbook at the apple store and i thought it was hard with the touchpad

do most people use a usb mouse? so if i use a usb mouse the right click doesnt do anything or does it act like (apple button) + Left click = right click??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A USB mouse works in OSX like it does on a PC. Both buttons work. You will get Right Click when you right click.

C

chas_m

dtravis7: actually I have often found that the right click is disabled by default. It's a simple matter to turn it on, but I'm just sayin' that someone looking at one in a store might think there was no right click.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas, that is very true but he was using the trackpad at the apple store and few would know how to right click with that.

But what Chas said is true. By default, Right Click it turned off or set to Primary button and needs to be set to Secondary button.

What I was really trying to point out that OSX does support Right Click. MANY give out false info that no Mac supports Right Click. It does.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey when u guys use mac laptops do u just use the touchpad?

All the time when I'm using my laptop "portably" (on the couch, outside my home)! But when I use it at my desk with a external monitor attached...I prefer to use my trusty two button (left click / right click) rollerball input device.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.