• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Stairway to heaven. Backwards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
wow, I heard a bunch of backwards music.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Jimi Hendrix did a lot of backwards stuff on especially his first album. Some was quite funny. One you could hear it going backwards when listening with a very low voice. You had to play it at 78 RPM to have the voice at the right pitch and it was funny as can be.

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that this is just an unplanned coincidence that the song backwards kind-of (and I use that term VERY loosely) sounds like the words someone wrote. I just dont see how one could plan for something like that...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Depends on the song/group. Hendrix songs in parts were backwards right on the LP played forward. You can hear it and play it backwards the words are clear because that is the way it was recorded. Some though where you hear nothing wrong forward could be just coincidence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Depends on the song/group. Hendrix songs in parts were backwards right on the LP played forward. You can hear it and play it backwards the words are clear because that is the way it was recorded. Some though where you hear nothing wrong forward could be just coincidence.

Example:

Are You Experienced?

:D

Good call travis.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep! I was playing that song just the other day and ran it through Amadeus and had some fun. Brought back a lot of memories.

OP
BlueMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that this is just an unplanned coincidence that the song backwards kind-of (and I use that term VERY loosely) sounds like the words someone wrote. I just dont see how one could plan for something like that...

You mean it is a great coincidence that he mentions Satan? And 666? I doubt it. A great mystery of music, it just makes the song even more legendary.

Reaction score
You mean it is a great coincidence that he mentions Satan? And 666? I doubt it. A great mystery of music, it just makes the song even more legendary.

All I am saying is that I dont see how this can be planned for. I think any creative person could sit down and play just about ANY song backwards and write down the "words" they thought they heard. Then with a little creativity, get them to look and sound like actual lyrics

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook - 2GHZ - 1GB RAM - 80GB HD - 500GB External HD - 8GB iPod Touch
Yeah i seen a Nirvana song played backwards on YouTube once, it was pretty creepy how the words actually made sense.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you know, the real creepy stuff in the music world isn't backwards masking, it's how performers like britany spears and ashley simpson have careers.

OP
BlueMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
you know, the real creepy stuff in the music world isn't backwards masking, it's how performers like britany spears and ashley simpson have careers.

And we have a winner!
icon_lol.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Agreed.
I remember watching Ashley Simpson get pwned on SNL. I laughed so, so, so hard.

Reaction score
What are you saying, ashley simpson doesnt have talent? and here I was believing the E! media this whole time. HAHAHA, thanks for the laugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.0 Core 2 duo, Alienware 7700 3.2ghz, Iphone,Imac g5,Powebook 15" 1.5ghz
simpson = no musical talent lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD
The mind naturally searches for familiarity in the nonsensical, so of course if you're guided by the supposed backwards "hidden message lyrics" on the screen you will hear them.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
The mind naturally searches for familiarity in the nonsensical

exactly. this is really the explanation for a lot of things in each of our "realities". everything from finding boogymen in mysterious night time noises, to seeing faces in clouds, to religion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
The mind naturally searches for familiarity in the nonsensical, so of course if you're guided by the supposed backwards "hidden message lyrics" on the screen you will hear them.

True but I think there still has to be an argument. Look at some of these bands , if anyone was to have a platform for this kind of thing it would be them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.