How to erase all files. For ever!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac & macbook
Hi.. I'm getting rid of my Macbook (3 months old) and getting a Macbook Pro... mainly for the firewire to record audio.

I've heard of the 'Eraser' software to clean up the mac...

Any alternatives that's better for mac? Is there a simpler way?

Any help appreciated.

Also... how do I erase the files and not the applications?

Does Eraser delete the files only?... or everything?

Confused

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If all you want to do is erase files and leave everything else "as is":

Move them to the trash can - go to the Finder menu and select 'Secure empty trash'

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac & macbook
Thanks for the quick reply.

Does that function secure the files currently present in the trash?.... or does it secure the trash's history?

What about internet history?

I want to sell the macbook as I bought it (excluding software /application updates)

Is there an easy way of doing this without downloading software?

sorry if this sound simple but I'm a mac noob when it comes to things like this.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're wanting to sell the machine - insert the original disk that came with the machine - restart holding down the 'C' key and reinstall

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, I'd do more then just reinstall - if you want to totally cover yourself, when you're in the install DVD, before you go into the install process you can access disk utility and have it do a multipass security wipe, then reinstall the OS.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac & macbook
So the original disk has all the applications e.e. garageband, i tunes, safari etc

If I re-install... would it erase the applications?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have 2 disks that came with the machine - they have everything it was shipped with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" unibody MBP, Core Duo 2.66, NIVIDEA 9400 graphics, 4GB DDR3
If you're wanting to sell the machine - insert the original disk that came with the machine - restart holding down the 'C' key and reinstall
Agreed. A fresh install will completely reformat the HDD and wipe everything. The reason that programs exist to recover deleted data is that modern OS's often don't actually delete the file - they merely tag those sectors on the disk as being writeable again, so as long is nothing is put over them, the data is actually still there. Also, they use what are called "journalised" file formats, so there is additional info about the contents of a sector of the disk hiding out on other parts of the disk. A reformat will put everything back to the way you had it when you first got it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Use the multi pass security swipe which will write over your disk up to 37 times I believe, which is pretty **** secure. They said that most government offices only use 7 times through when they erase disks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Note though that zeroing the disk (erasing it securely) will take a really long time especially if you do it more than once. See here for more info.

When I say long, I'm talking hours. If you do the 7-pass or more, leave it overnight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac & macbook
For sure, for sure....

right...

I've done the 7 pass! And re-installed Mac OSX.. at the end of the installation it said that it had to restart.... so I clicked 'OK'....

Now the Macbook has started with the welcome and registration programme...

I don't wish to register myself with it again cause I want to sell it.... and I can't shut it down!

Also... if this is the case... how do I re-install the Applications DVD....

hmmmm

I've got offers on it already and I really want to get rid!

Thanks for the responses guys

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac & macbook
Created a new temp. account in order to re-install applications.....

By now.... someone's bought it!

But .... how do I set it up as bought? I want to set it up so the buyer sees the 'Apple Welcome programme' when switched on....

????????????

My lack of mac terminology fails in Google!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Show user as anybody and password as 1234.

Pass on the install discs and this info to the new user and they can then change it to whatever they like. To get the welcome screen, sell after wiping the drive and l;et them do their own install. You are including the system discs with the machine? Otherwise you should not put an OS on it.

Reaction score
Reformat you computer.. in that way you will be able to delete all the saved files.

Reaction score
When I sold my Macbook all I did was a complete reformat and when the welcome screen came up with registration I held down the power button.

It turned off and when the purchaser turned it on the registration screen popped up again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
A normal reform still leaves pieces of data behind, one of the best software programs I found to fully erase data without physically destroying the hard drive is a little software called KillDisk, just a warning you better be able to leave to computer on for at least a FULL day or more.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Nobody hit on my favorite solution: buy a new hard drive and swap out. Boot from OS X Disc 1, partition the drive in Disk Utility and everyone's happy. Detailed walkthrough here: http://tr.im/yOHL
BTW, reinstalling the OS doesn't securely wipe the drive. It prevents the casual user from snooping, but there are ways of making your old drive talk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.