I deleted jar launcher, dont know how to get it back

Reaction score
I deleted the "jar launcher" application because i'm an idiot, and thought it would fix my problem, (witch is irrelevant for the current situation) and now i cant open jar files, witch is a problem, so i majorly need help, i have tried some recovery programs, but it didn't help. I just need to know how i can get "jar launcher" back unto my mac so i can open jars. I don't need a super quick solution, but any help at all would be very appreciated. :)

P.S. my os version is 10.8.3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Sounds like you just need to reinstall Java

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Where was this 'jar launcher'? and what was the file name?

Also, can't you just restore from the trash?

OP
M
Reaction score
Where was this 'jar launcher'? and what was the file name?

Also, can't you just restore from the trash?

in the macintosh hd system/library/coreservices

and it was literally called jar launcher, thats what it was named.

i have tried restoring it with some restoration programs, but i think i was to late.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Any chance you burned Mountain Lion to a USB flash drive prior ton running? If so Pacifist may be able to access the file. If the worst comes to the worst, go into the App Store, hold down Option and hit Purchases. You will be able to download ML again f.o.c.

OP
M
Reaction score
Any chance you burned Mountain Lion to a USB flash drive prior ton running? If so Pacifist may be able to access the file. If the worst comes to the worst, go into the App Store, hold down Option and hit Purchases. You will be able to download ML again f.o.c.

no didn't put it on usb, and i don't think redownloading ml is an option i mean its a java thing i would think theirs a way to get it back

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Okay good luck.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
in the macintosh hd system/library/coreservices
That would be the location of JL in Apple's implementation of Java which would explain why reinstalling it didn't lead to its presence there.

Is there any particular reason that you need JL? It doesn't do much beyond execute a Jar file which can be executed without it.

OP
M
Reaction score
That would be the location of JL in Apple's implementation of Java which would explain why reinstalling it didn't lead to its presence there.

Is there any particular reason that you need JL? It doesn't do much beyond execute a Jar file which can be executed without it.

well lots of minecraft modpack launchers are jar files, and now that i deleted jar launcher, when i try to run the jar files, it unpacks them, and gives me a zip, witch is its contents and nothing that makes it run, but you said there is a way to execute it with out jar launcher, how so?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You have to use the command line. Open up Terminal (/Applications/Utilities) and enter the following:
Code:
java -jar
Press space after that and then drag the jar file from Finder into the Terminal window. Press enter and voila.

OP
M
Reaction score
You have to use the command line. Open up Terminal (/Applications/Utilities) and enter the following:
Code:
java -jar
Press space after that and then drag the jar file from Finder into the Terminal window. Press enter and voila.

well its quite inconvenient but it works so thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.