Processors& Upgrades

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
So atm i have a Core Duo 2ghz in my MacBook that I'm getting rid of, and was wondering what would be a good processor to upgrade to in my next macbook. I should have around $600-700 to spend and was wondering what the best option is. I have found a Core2Duo Air in my range but I'm not sure how long that processor will be up to spec, especially since I have heard that Lion sometimes runs slow on it. Also I would want to upgrade the RAM and HDD in it. Is this possible on the MBA because it is so compact I imagine it would be hard to access and put back together. The only other newer option in my price bracket atm is a 13" MBP i5(maybe) or Core 2 Duo. I was also thinking of looking into an i5 or i7 MBA but if I can't upgrade its RAM or HDD i don't think I'll go for it. I'm mostly worried that if I get a CD2 computer it will be obsolete by next summer.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
So atm i have a Core Duo 2ghz in my MacBook that I'm getting rid of, and was wondering what would be a good processor to upgrade to in my next macbook. I should have around $600-700 to spend and was wondering what the best option is. I have found a Core2Duo Air in my range but I'm not sure how long that processor will be up to spec, especially since I have heard that Lion sometimes runs slow on it. Also I would want to upgrade the RAM and HDD in it. Is this possible on the MBA because it is so compact I imagine it would be hard to access and put back together. The only other newer option in my price bracket atm is a 13" MBP i5(maybe) or Core 2 Duo. I was also thinking of looking into an i5 or i7 MBA but if I can't upgrade its RAM or HDD i don't think I'll go for it. I'm mostly worried that if I get a CD2 computer it will be obsolete by next summer.

If dollars are tight and you are looking for the most performance for your buck forget the MBAs.
We have a 2011 13in MBA and it is sweet, but MBAs aren't easily upgradeable for one thing. And, for the second you will get a faster Mac for the same dollars going with i5 MBP.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
If dollars are tight and you are looking for the most performance for your buck forget the MBAs.
We have a 2011 13in MBA and it is sweet, but MBAs aren't easily upgradeable for one thing. And, for the second you will get a faster Mac for the same dollars going with i5 MBP.

Okay thanks for the info, So does this mean a Core2Duo is not a good idea? And I think if it comes between an Air and Pro I might just wait and save up more for an i5 Pro if need be.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay thanks for the info, So does this mean a Core2Duo is not a good idea? And I think if it comes between an Air and Pro I might just wait and save up more for an i5 Pro if need be.

I have a 15 in Core2Duo MBP that still does just fine. So, it really depends on your needs.
If it was me, though, I would try to stretch and get the i5.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a 15 in Core2Duo MBP that still does just fine. So, it really depends on your needs.
If it was me, though, I would try to stretch and get the i5.

Okay, I think that is what I will do then. I found some i5s on Ebay for around $750-800 which is just out of my price bracket so I'm going to dig around and see what I can do. If I can get a few hundred dollars out of one of my PCs and maybe sell a few other things I could in the best case bump me up to a used i7 or a new i5 and in worst case get me a used i5. Thanks for your help, now I know what I should shoot for!:) EDIT: Are the unibody MBPs easier to upgrade tha nthe MBAs?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
from looking at that site the Air has no upgrades :p Now I have a new question, as it looks like what I thought was the best deal ever may be a scam (looks like the person i thought was paying $600 for my computer is just a scammer) Would the MacBook Air Core2Duo be much better than a Core Duo white Macbook? I'm curious, especially since the Air has flash storage if i would be almost downgrading?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
from looking at that site the Air has no upgrades :p Now I have a new question, as it looks like what I thought was the best deal ever may be a scam (looks like the person i thought was paying $600 for my computer is just a scammer) Would the MacBook Air Core2Duo be much better than a Core Duo white Macbook? I'm curious, especially since the Air has flash storage if i would be almost downgrading?

What are you trying to gain from your upgrade? Or, in other words, what dissatisfies you about your current MacBook?

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mainly that most games aren't supported by its coreduo processor, also i was thinking that if i could get the air in a trade i could sell it a little later for almost enough for a macbook pro

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mainly that most games aren't supported by its coreduo processor, also i was thinking that if i could get the air in a trade i could sell it a little later for almost enough for a macbook pro

Probably better off going Windows PC for games.

If you don't mind switching to a desktop and have a monitor and keyboard may also want to give the Mac Minis a look.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably better off going Windows PC for games.

If you don't mind switching to a desktop and have a monitor and keyboard may also want to give the Mac Minis a look.

I was thinking of just running boot camp because i absolutely can't stand windows on a day to day basis and i don't game enough to justify it. I thought about a mac mini but i need a decent laptop for school that won't give me headaches all day (like with windows) hahaha and I don't think i'd get much for my power mac G4...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was thinking of just running boot camp because i absolutely can't stand windows on a day to day basis and i don't game enough to justify it. I thought about a mac mini but i need a decent laptop for school that won't give me headaches all day (like with windows) hahaha and I don't think i'd get much for my power mac G4...

There's your answer then, 13 in MBP, i5 if you can swing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD
Okay, I think that is what I will do then. I found some i5s on Ebay for around $750-800 which is just out of my price bracket so I'm going to dig around and see what I can do. If I can get a few hundred dollars out of one of my PCs and maybe sell a few other things I could in the best case bump me up to a used i7 or a new i5 and in worst case get me a used i5. Thanks for your help, now I know what I should shoot for!:) EDIT: Are the unibody MBPs easier to upgrade tha nthe MBAs?

I have a 15" MBP, aluminum Unibody and the HD and RAM are VERY easy to upgrade. Just did so last weekend and the longest part of the job was cloning my smaller HD before installation. Installation of the new HD and an additional 4 Gig of RAM took all of 11 minutes.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a 15" MBP, aluminum Unibody and the HD and RAM are VERY easy to upgrade. Just did so last weekend and the longest part of the job was cloning my smaller HD before installation. Installation of the new HD and an additional 4 Gig of RAM took all of 11 minutes.

Sounds good, I figured there might be some extensive procedures with the unibody chassis but it sounds as easy as my white MacBook 13". Hopefully I can work out some deals to get my hands on one :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.