New MacBook - Toast Question

Reaction score
we bought our daughter the upgraded white MacBook with the superdrive so she could burn DVD's. I ripped one with handbrake, it took about 40 minutes. I'm using Toast 7 titanium, and it's about 1/10 of the way, and it's been burning for over 30 minutes.

is it always this slow, or am I doing something wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Handbrake is really meant to convert DVDs to MP4 to watch on the computer or on the iPod, not to burn them back to DVD.

Toast is really meant for copying media or files to CD/DVD or burning media files to a data DVD. Keep in mind that unless you copy a DVD directly, you are going to lose a lot of quality when burning MP4, AVI, MOV or other files to a DVD. If you simply want to copy a DVD, get MacTheRipper, rip the video_TS folder to your hard drive with it and then burn it to a new DVD with Toast.

Rip times with Handbrake will depend greatly on the video settings as well as the processor and burn times on toast will depend greatly on your processor and the speed of the drive/media in question/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Yeah what he said. With mac the ripper and toast it should take from an hour and a half to two and a half hours to burn a dvd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reads the articles. Apparently only copying encrypted media is illegal, and that ruling is under appeal. That one is going to end up in the US Supreme Court. As it is, that ruling goes against the DMCA and it terms for "Fair use" by the consumer.

Either way, a law you can not enforce is a useless law.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone

very good point there
but as a general rule, most films have a dvd encryption on them.
Guess it depends what you copy

OP
Digger
Reaction score
thanks for the help, I'll get Mac the Ripper and retry it.

OP
Digger
Reaction score
I ripped with with mac the ripper, but when I go to burn the TS file it says it's CSS encrypted and toast won't burn it. any other ideas?

Reaction score
CSS encrypted! Read the articles man, copying comemrcial DVDs is illegal!

Reaction score

You can always find a way to enforce it, that's the point of having an executive body in the government... to execute things is their for crying out loud job.

OP
Digger
Reaction score
CSS encrypted! Read the articles man, copying comemrcial DVDs is illegal!

I skimmed through them. I don't see what the difference is between making a copy of a CD I own and a DVD I own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The DVD has copyprotection, most CDs dont

OP
Digger
Reaction score
I understand that. someone my wife works with makes backups of her DVD's on their PC. I thought there would be OS X software that would allow me to do the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can always find a way to enforce it, that's the point of having an executive body in the government... to execute things is their for crying out loud job.

Sure you can, if you live in an invasive Police State. In any sort of a free society a law such as this is virtually impossible to enforce even part of the way, much less fully. No sort of encryption is going to stop everything and there will always be a way around that. Anyone who thinks this behavior can or should be controlled on an individual basis by that state (any state) needs to take a long hard look at what kind of society they want to live in.

I understand that. someone my wife works with makes backups of her DVD's on their PC. I thought there would be OS X software that would allow me to do the same.

There is. MacTheRipper is what you want to to get the Video off the DVD, and TOAST is what you want to put it back on a new DVD. Both programs are perfectly legal AND legitimate, and what you do with your DVDs in your own home for personal use is up to you.

OP
Digger
Reaction score
Sure you can, if you live in an invasive Police State. In any sort of a free society a law such as this is virtually impossible to enforce even part of the way, much less fully. No sort of encryption is going to stop everything and there will always be a way around that. Anyone who thinks this behavior can or should be controlled on an individual basis by that state (any state) needs to take a long hard look at what kind of society they want to live in.

There is. MacTheRipper is what you want to to get the Video off the DVD, and TOAST is what you want to put it back on a new DVD. Both programs are perfectly legal AND legitimate, and what you do with your DVDs in your own home for personal use is up to you.

do I need Toast 8 instead of Toast 7? burn it using a different format?

any source I could link to learn?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, Toast 7 should work fine.

Look at the MacTheRipper Forums, I think you'll find what you need there. This is a pretty strait foreword process.

1-Insert DVD in Mac
2-Close DVD player when it opens
3-Open MTR
4-Select FULL DISC EXTRACTION in MTR
5-Hit GO
6-When MTR is done, hit OK and close it
7-Open Toast
8-Eject Video DVD and insert blank DVD
9-Drag Video_TS folder that MTR created on your desktop to TOAST
10-Click Burn, follow on-screen instruction.
11-When Toast is done burning the new DVD will mount, open DVD player (if it doesn't ope itself).
12-Watch said DVD
13-ENJOY!

OP
Digger
Reaction score
No, Toast 7 should work fine.

Look at the MacTheRipper Forums, I think you'll find what you need there. This is a pretty strait foreword process.

1-Insert DVD in Mac
2-Close DVD player when it opens
3-Open MTR
4-Select FULL DISC EXTRACTION in MTR
5-Hit GO
6-When MTR is done, hit OK and close it
7-Open Toast
8-Eject Video DVD and insert blank DVD
9-Drag Video_TS folder that MTR created on your desktop to TOAST
10-Click Burn, follow on-screen instruction.
11-When Toast is done burning the new DVD will mount, open DVD player (if it doesn't ope itself).
12-Watch said DVD
13-ENJOY!

thanks for your honest, no morality imposed replies.
We've got DVD's that can't be read because little ones have been scratching them up as they load them. I've got no problem backing up a library we've paid for outright.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
Is using Toast better that using iDVD?

I came across BurnX with better reviews than Toast. Has anyone used this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've read good things about BurnX. The best thing about Toast is its sheer versatility. I've never used iDVD to copy a movie with, so I can not say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Just select the video ts folder you want to burn

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.