• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Summer Dilemma

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Just wanted to share my summer project with you guys. I was thinking about making a new gaming rig or getting a new iMac. Both my old rig and iMac are starting to show their age so I thought now would be a good time to update.

20100604-thwdw15qqcadciaekdpt93nkwg.jpg

It this or a 27" iMac. I'm still not sure yet...because two of the important parts of my rig have parts that are sold out and I don't know when they will be in. My budget is $2,100 USD. If I get an iMac it would be under cause I would get student discount.

Feel free to chime in or crit my build. >_>" OCing for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Plus there is a pretty hefty iMac (2.8GHZ i7) in the refurb store right now for about $1850 USD.
I can't weigh in on any of the comparisons, I'm not a gamer. But thought you might want to know about that good deal if you do decide to go with an iMac. :)

Happy hunting!

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Plus there is a pretty hefty iMac (2.8GHZ i7) in the refurb store right now for about $1850 USD.
I can't weigh in on any of the comparisons, I'm not a gamer. But thought you might want to know about that good deal if you do decide to go with an iMac. :)

Happy hunting!

Yeah I was looking at the refurbish store last night....and debating on whether or not to get that iMac. Seems like a great deal but I dunno. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The display on the 27 iMac alone makes me want one plus the specs ain't bad either.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The display on the 27 iMac alone makes me want one plus the specs ain't bad either.

I know right...that's why it is hard to decide. They are in the same price range. The only thing is that you can't upgrade the iMac, the way you can PC gaming rig.

That's why I try to keep them separate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
This is the build I put together for my friend, although note he already had a cpu cooler (same one you plan on using, and I would strongly suggest it again.)

buildl.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Come on now, cut all this talk out. You guys are givin me the bug just from reading the two lists. Haven't built an OCing rig in 4 years now, just this cheesy HTPC I've got.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the build I put together for my friend, although note he already had a cpu cooler (same one you plan on using, and I would strongly suggest it again.)

buildl.png

Wow someone loves their gigabyte? :p Nah joking with ya. That's a pretty good build too. I wanted to save some money so I decided to use a slightly slower processor. I figured I was going to OC it anyways and from what others have done they said they could get it stable around 3.9-4.1 Ghz. That's pretty darn fast. >_>"

How far could you OC that version of the processor?

My build is a little different cause I'm setting up a RAID 10 and crossfire. >_>" Might be overkill for the game that I'm playing but I figured I might as well go all out. Especially since it's for a MMORPG and there is going to be a lot of Map zoning. Managed to get invited to the FFXVI beta. ^-^" YAY.

Come on now, cut all this talk out. You guys are givin me the bug just from reading the two lists. Haven't built an OCing rig in 4 years now, just this cheesy HTPC I've got.

It's actually been almost that long for me too. 5 years for me actually. >_>" What brand of thermal compound do you guys recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
How far could you OC that version of the processor?

My build is a little different cause I'm setting up a RAID 10 and crossfire. >_>" Might be overkill for the game that I'm playing but I figured I might as well go all out. Especially since it's for a MMORPG and there is going to be a lot of Map zoning. Managed to get invited to the FFXVI beta. ^-^" YAY.
For OCing, I say dig around tom's hardware a bit or what ever tech forum you like.

Secondly for getting into FFXVI..... I hate you :p

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For OCing, I say dig around tom's hardware a bit or what ever tech forum you like.

Secondly for getting into FFXVI..... I hate you :p

Oh yeah how could I ever forget Tom's Hardware. >_>" I haven't been their in ages cause my Macs keep me busy. ^-^"

I know it's the jealously talking, deep down you love me. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.