How much do I sell for?

Reaction score
I have a black 2006 MacBook and have upgraded it, but I would really like to sell it and get one of the new MacBook, seeing as it will be able to officially run Mountain Lion and has the multi-touch trackpad and better specs. But I couldn't figure out how much I should sell it for? Below are the specs and changes that I have made and the additional accessories that I have for (and should I sell them as a bundle or separate?)

SPECS:
Black MacBook 2,1 (late 2006) 13''
Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: UPGRADED from 1 gb to 4 gb of memory (DDR2 SDRAM)
Hard Drive: UPGRADED from 120 gb HD to 1 tb HD
Graphics: Intel GMA 950 64 MB of Shared System
OS: 10.8.3 Mountain Lion (Using HackWayne's MLForAll) BUT I can downgrade it to the last stable release (Lion)
Battery: New Battery

ISSUES:
Lines display on screen when starting up but go away when you adjust the screen. (They are only there after the computer has been off for several hours and don't come back during use)

EXTRAS:
Original memory sticks (512 mb each, x2)
Original 120 GB HardDrive
Original Power Adaptor (it has the 2 prong and the extension) WORKING
Purchased addition power adaptor (only has the 2 prong piece, NOT the extension)
Magic Trackpad (purchased April 2013)
DVI to VGA adaptor (for external monitor)
iLife '11 and iWork '09 would be installed before shipping (depending on if the buyer wanted Mountain Lion or Lion installed)

CONDITION
The laptop is in WONDERFUL condition. It has never been dropped and has never gotten wet. All the keys work and the display has no dead pixels and still has the same original brightness to it. Both speakers work and the headset and microphone jacks work. iSight camera with built-in microphone works perfectly and all ports works (I haven't used the FireWire port since I don't own anything FireWire). The computer looks almost brand new and the Apple Logo glows beautifully.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
$150 bucks or so with Mountain Lion erased. Don't discuss Hackintoshes here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Using Hackware was your comment.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Using Hackware was your comment.

Harry, that is a site that shows you how to install Mountain Lion on a older Macbook. I did it in fact, it's apple hardware, just like Leopard on older G4 with Leopard Assist. The Hacker you saw is the doods handle who made ML work.

The OP here is not running a Hackintosh or I would zap this post in a heartbeat, but a 2006 Black Macbook with ML installed.

Just in case anyone asks. On my 3.1 Macbook it was horrible as no You Tube video would play nor would certain things in the OS open that use the new Open GL in OSX, so I went back to Lion. The GMA 950 and GMA3100 do not support the new OPEN GL used in ML.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But is running against the EULA by installing on a model not supported Dennis?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
But is running against the EULA by installing on a model not supported Dennis?

Never heard apple say a word about Leopard on Slower G4s and doubt they care about the Macbooks either. Not sure on the EULA but 1000's did Slower G4 and it was an application called Leopard Assist that everyone used. Never heard one word.

For an example when Phystar came out with OSX on PC hardware, Apple took them to court and won and closed them down. With their own hardware I doubt it's against anything. If it is though, then all the 10.5 on under 866Mhz G4 posts here should also be banned as that is fooling the OS to run on hardware apple cut out.

If it is against the law then I probably should leave as a Mod as I did it to my Macbook and dont' feel I did anything wrong. Some will yell, if you can't afford a new Mac every 2 years, get a PC. Well I do not intend to run a Windows 8 touch screen plastic PC anytime soon just because I am poor :D Grin

I am not trying to be a jerk about this, but feel Apple easily could have made ML work on 2007 hardware. Unlike what others have said, it's nothing to do with the CPU. a 2007 is a Core2Duo 64-Bit. It's the GMA3100 and GMA950 and newer Open GL and refusal to make new drivers to support those cards fully.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it is against the law then I probably should leave as a Mod as I did it to my Macbook and dont' feel I did anything wrong.

First, it's not against any law. Apple doesn't make laws... (at least not yet) And it does not violate the EULA. We're talking about doing a mod that results in an Apple operating system being able to run on Apple hardware that was not designed for it. Big deal. Nothing wrong with that. If anything Dennis, Apple should publish your "method". ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, it's not against any law. Apple doesn't make laws... (at least not yet) And it does not violate the EULA. We're talking about doing a mod that results in an Apple operating system being able to run on Apple hardware that was not designed for it. Big deal. Nothing wrong with that. If anything Dennis, Apple should publish your "method". ;)

Agree. Reason I am being careful is one time when I first mentioned it to some other staff, there was some resistance. Don't want to step on anyones toes! :D

Only reason I said anything is was just telling Harry the Hacker he saw in the OP's post was not Hackintosh, but the programmer that made ML run on older C2D Macs possible. Wish i would have figured out but it was not me! :D Grin His handle is Hacker Wayne. Not Hackintosh! hahahaha

I should try it again as he has improved things and now the new OpenGL in ML that did not work before now works great!

OP
A
Reaction score
Agree. Reason I am being careful is one time when I first mentioned it to some other staff, there was some resistance. Don't want to step on anyones toes! :D

Only reason I said anything is was just telling Harry the Hacker he saw in the OP's post was not Hackintosh, but the programmer that made ML run on older C2D Macs possible. Wish i would have figured out but it was not me! :D Grin His handle is Hacker Wayne. Not Hackintosh! hahahaha

I should try it again as he has improved things and now the new OpenGL in ML that did not work before now works great!

My graphics were FLAWLESS with it running on their new update. It's also much easier to install now

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My graphics were FLAWLESS with it running on their new update. It's also much easier to install now

Thanks, Saw the comments on the site and going to try again tonight. I own ML so I figure why not. Will use an external drive like last time and if it works great then CCC it over to the main drive. I had not looked at HW's stuff in a while. Thanks for bringing it up!!

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks, Saw the comments on the site and going to try again tonight. I own ML so I figure why not. Will use an external drive like last time and if it works great then CCC it over to the main drive. I had not looked at HW's stuff in a while. Thanks for bringing it up!!

No problem! So you know there are ways to fix iMessage, just look in that thread. And and answers on Twitter fairly quickly

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.