I'm creating a website with Wordpress. What is the cheapest hosting option?

Reaction score
I'm creating a website for my filmmaking with Wordpress. I'm making it very simple and I'm not hosting any videos since everything will be linked from Youtube or Vimeo. I want a cheap option for hosting. The options Wordpress offers are all over 50 dollars a year. I'm thinking there must be something cheaper, such as GoDaddy, and if I want to eventually make a more comprehensive website, I can change hosts.

Any thoughts on this? What is a good cheap host for Wordpress?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The general wisdom with cheap hosting is that most that run around $2-5 per month are on crowded shared servers that have varying performance based on what other sites are running on that machine. Going with a slightly expensive package usually ensures a better overall performance and you get the best performance with virtual or dedicated hosting..

Over the years I've tried many many hosts and have been moving around a lot of them and what I've found generally follows what I've stated above..I've been with hosts such as Dreamhost, JustHost, Bluehost, 1and1, Hostgator, and couple more for such short periods that I can't even remember the names..

I found Mediatemple's GS hosting to be generally acceptable, and right now I use their DV hosting for all the various sites that I have for myself and clients..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I'm creating a website for my filmmaking with Wordpress. I'm making it very simple and I'm not hosting any videos since everything will be linked from Youtube or Vimeo. I want a cheap option for hosting. The options Wordpress offers are all over 50 dollars a year. I'm thinking there must be something cheaper, such as GoDaddy, and if I want to eventually make a more comprehensive website, I can change hosts.

Any thoughts on this? What is a good cheap host for Wordpress?

I use these MacAce.net | The Mac ISP for Mac hosting, email, ADSL, Fibre Broadband, FTP, iWeb Hosting. Mac Friendly UK Apple web host. for hosting (You can select your country on the home page top right if you are following the link), they are not cheap but their hosting and customer service is 'bang on'. I also use RapidWeaver5 for site building and have found it excellent so far for the money.

Just as an aside, does your ISP not provide you with some free webspace to play with?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just as an aside, does your ISP not provide you with some free webspace to play with?
If they do, they probably don't offer the PHP and SQL support needed by Wordpress.

oxband, if you don't already own a domain, you'll have to work that into the cost. This may be what's throwing off the cost. While some hosts throw in a free domain, not all do.

If you try to get a domain with a popular TLD (like .com) or a fairly popular ccTLD (the country specific ones), you'll see higher costs. I've found that the .net TLD is generally pretty cheap.

Note on the ccTLDs: apparently some has presence requirements (such as .ca) while others do not (such as .uk).

Reaction score
I found Mediatemple's GS hosting to be generally acceptable, and right now I use their DV hosting for all the various sites that I have for myself and clients..

Hey there! Thanks for the mention of (mt) Media Temple :)

@oxband - After reading your post and understanding what you are looking for, I think (mt) Media Temple is a great fit for you. I personally work for (mt) Media Temple and might be a little biased. However, we work with WordPress daily, in fact, we offer a one click WordPress installation that will have you set up with WordPress in a matter of minutes. More on that here:

How do I install WordPress using the 1-Click Applications tool?

The (gs) Grid-Service is what I would recommend you start out on. Later on, if you need more resources, it is very easy to scale up to a (dv) Dedicated-Virtual Server, which will provide you with the dedicated resources to handle the larger site.

Additionally, if you have any questions about our services here at (mt) Media Temple, please don't hesitate to give us a call, open a support chat, or Tweet at us. We're here 24/7 :)

Drew J
(mt) Media Temple
@MediaTemple

Reaction score
I use a variety of resellers and dedicated servers for my clients websites, but for some of my own personal less critical projects and experiments I use 1&1.

Cheap, relatively cheerful and after 10 years as a customer they've proved to be surprisingly more reliable than other much more expensive options. Downside - slow servers.

Reaction score
You'd find hosts offering WordPress compatible hosting offered by a large crowd of hosts at more-or-less the same resources and costs. There are other factors too that needs to be addressed like emails, if you'd be enabling videos to be downloaded from the website etc. Every feature your choose would help you narrow your search for the right hosting provider.

Well, if it's just WordPress site that you are looking forward to host, then any provider that offers Linux based hosting services can be suitable to you and depending on the kind of uptime you expect, you can look for a host that houses its servers in a Tier 3 or 4 datacenter. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.