Quality RAM for MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
Was just wondering if anyone could clear up a few questions.
First off, i herd that MBP's( or at least my late 2008 model) were capable of using up to 6GB of RAM even though the system profile will only show 4GB installed. Anyone confirm or deny this? Or was someone just trying to rip me off.

Also i noticed that when i have several programs running together(excel, PPT, Preview(this one seems to use TONS of memory) and pull up console that i have as little as 11mb free ram left and the computer noticeably hangs for up to 10 seconds before completing certain functions. It even delays when i would do something as small as pull up the window in PPT to adjust the font size. Moving windows around is choppy as well. Since im a student and also a DJ i need to remedy this problem asap because its really starting to get on my nerves.

I am not sure if its the same way for PC as for mac but does anyone think a page file adjustment would benefit me in any way or do i just need to go with a physical memory upgrade?

And if you all think that physical memory is the best alternative can any of your suggest a quality mfger that is relatively decently priced. I don't mind paying a little extra for RAM that i know is good because you do get what you pay for, but i can't exactly empty the bank either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Was just wondering if anyone could clear up a few questions.
First off, i herd that MBP's( or at least my late 2008 model) were capable of using up to 6GB of RAM even though the system profile will only show 4GB installed. Anyone confirm or deny this? Or was someone just trying to rip me off.

Without the exact specs of your exact MBP model, I can't give an exact anwswer. But yes...2008 MBP's can be upgraded to 6 gig of ram.

Also i noticed that when i have several programs running together(excel, PPT, Preview(this one seems to use TONS of memory) and pull up console that i have as little as 11mb free ram left and the computer noticeably hangs for up to 10 seconds before completing certain functions.

Here are a few ideas:

1. Don't have as many programs open at the same time (just have the programs open that you actually need at the moment).

2. If you "sleep" your computer a lot when you are done with it (for weeks & weeks or more)...try "restarting" it every so often. I find that this helps.

3. An almost full hard drive can also cause these problems/symptoms.

And if you all think that physical memory is the best alternative can any of your suggest a quality mfger that is relatively decently priced. I don't mind paying a little extra for RAM that i know is good because you do get what you pay for, but i can't exactly empty the bank either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Don't worry so much about the ram brand...just go to one of these guys:

OWC
Crucial.com

...and you will be good to go.:)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Without the exact specs of your exact MBP model, I can't give an exact anwswer. But yes...2008 MBP's can be upgraded to 6 gig of ram.
What specs would you need? I can tell you whatever you need to know.

Here are a few ideas:

1. Don't have as many programs open at the same time (just have the programs open that you actually need at the moment).

Ya im constantly closing things to make sure im not wasting memory. But even if i have firefox(or any browser) running while in power point i still get that system lag.
2. If you "sleep" your computer a lot when you are done with it (for weeks & weeks or more)...try "restarting" it every so often. I find that this helps.

I try to do this as little as possible to be honest, when i go to bed the computer gets shut down and when i know im not going to be using it for a extended period of time i never leave it on.

3. An almost full hard drive can also cause these problems/symptoms.
I have over 88Gigs of free space on my hard drive.

I also like to run a defrag and drive optimization every month or so using drive genius and i also to permissions checks/repairs using disk utility maybe every 2 weeks or so. Im always multi tasking on this thing so to have 3 or so apps open at once is not uncommon and they are all tasks that are being used fully at the time.

Thanks a lot for responding i appreciate it. Let me know if you can help me out with determining if my model is capable of 6GB. Or if you don't want to take the time to do so please just let me know where i would be able to find this information? Thank you again!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot for responding i appreciate it. Let me know if you can help me out with determining if my model is capable of 6GB. Or if you don't want to take the time to do so please just let me know where i would be able to find this information? Thank you again!

As far as info to confirm the max. ram for your computer...a few thing's would help:

- display size (15" or 17")
- processor speed (Apple Menu > About This Mac)
- Model ID

To find the model ID go to:

- Apple Menu
- Select "About This Mac"
- in the window that opens...click on "More Info" button
- in the next window "Hardware Overview" there's a model identifier...it should read something like "MacBookPro 4,1"; "MacBookPro 5,1"; MacBookPro 6,1"; etc.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Not meaning to step on your toes Nick, just that there's an easy way he can get the info he needs from Crucial's website here:

Top Models for Ram and Flash

I'm pretty sure he has the same model as I do, the non-unibody aluminum, either 15 or 17" (doesn't make a difference) which that page says can "technically" only take 4 gigs of RAM.

Question now is, is there a proven unofficial amount of RAM it can take?

Doug

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not meaning to step on your toes Nick, just that there's an easy way he can get the info he needs from Crucial's website here:

Top Models for Ram and Flash

I'm pretty sure he has the same model as I do, the non-unibody aluminum, either 15 or 17" (doesn't make a difference) which that page says can "technically" only take 4 gigs of RAM.

Question now is, is there a proven unofficial amount of RAM it can take?

Doug

No problems Doug.:) I was just taking it slow...just to be absolutely sure what computer model we were talking about. I didn't want to say the wrong thing...and have someone purchase ram that then would not be compatible/recognizable by the computer.

I'm pretty sure that the OP's computer can be upgraded to 6 gig of ram. The OP mentioned that their computer was a "late 2008" model...and even some MacBook Pro models from 2007 could be "unofficially" (but reliably) upgraded to 6 gig.

Just waiting for the OP's exact model info to confirm (or not confirm) a doable 6 gig ram upgrade.:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Much appreciated guys thats for the assistence.

Got that info its as follows:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Let me know if you need anymore then that. I also would like to know the answer to that question lol. I was kinda skeptical that anyone can tell if there is a traceable difference since the computer only recognizes so much memory. I guess if you used benchmark software you could compare results on speed and amount of tasks but it sounded more like a sales pirch to get me to buy more RAM. But if its true then why not get the extra 2Gigs!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me know if you need anymore then that. I also would like to know the answer to that question lol. I was kinda skeptical that anyone can tell if there is a traceable difference since the computer only recognizes so much memory. I guess if you used benchmark software you could compare results on speed and amount of tasks but it sounded more like a sales pirch to get me to buy more RAM. But if its true then why not get the extra 2Gigs!

Ok...the quick answer (as I suspected)...is you can upgrade your MacBook Pro to 6 gigabyte. Your MacBook Pro has 2 ram slots...so you need a 2 gig stick & a 4 gig stick of ram.

OWC (link below) actually sells this very 6 gig upgrade "kit" you need:

6.0GB Kit (2.0GB+4.0GB) at OWC

By the way...your computer is actually an "Early 2008" model not a "Late 2008".

You will see (in the OWC description for the ram upgrade kit)...it actually mentions "Early/Late 2008" as compatible MacBook Pro models (amongst others) for the 6 gig ram upgrade. So this should provide you with further confidence that your MacBook Pro can be upgraded to 6 gig of ram.

Again...hope this helps...and good luck,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
DrEwTime, do me a favor and post your MBP's build #. Just click on About This Mac, then click on where it says "Version" (which is followed by the OS X verion such as 10.6.4 etc). That will show your serial number and your build # (for each click). (look at screen shot)

I'm almost positive we have the same model (bought mine in June) and "technically" it's supposed to be 4 gigs max. I wouldn't mind throwing a 4 gig module in mine either if it will take it!

Doug

Screen shot 2011-01-20 at 2.45.00 PM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, there's an ever so slight possibility that you could be wrong. That is, if there's a major difference in the early and late 2008 models, and if the OP does indeed have a late model. OR if there really are early/late model versions at all? I bought mine in June, and the site lists the early model as coming out in February.

So now we need to figure out (I guess) if more than one model was manufactured in 2008.

Doug

Edit: I'm thinking that it's me who is likely wrong now. Just because I bought mine in June, doesn't mean that it's not an early model.. duh. I don't think there was actually an late model 4.1 version released. I think that I too have an early model now....

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DrEwTime, do me a favor and post your MBP's build #. Just click on About This Mac, then click on where it says "Version" (which is followed by the OS X verion such as 10.6.4 etc). That will show your serial number and your build # (for each click). (look at screen shot)

I'm almost positive we have the same model (bought mine in June) and "technically" it's supposed to be 4 gigs max. I wouldn't mind throwing a 4 gig module in mine either if it will take it!

Doug

Mine is 10j567. Little different then yours. Does that help you at all?

Pigoo3- My mistake, i had actually written that down before when i called apple several years back about something so i saved that in the notes widget.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Doug

Doug,

You are absolutely right...your MacBook Pro is "officially" only capable of 4 gig of ram (if it's the same model as the OP). But "unofficially" it is capable of being upgraded to 6 gig of ram.

There have been a number of Macintosh models over the years that are capable of being upgraded to higher levels of ram...and this MacBook Pro model is one of them.

There are earlier MacBook Pro's (my MacBook Pro is one of them) that were only supposed to be able to be upgraded to 2 gig of ram...but they are actually able to be upgraded to 4 gig (but only 3 is available).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm... I don't know anymore. The build info is confusing, and now I'm not sure if it is pertinent. Looking on OWC's site and their upgrade configuration schematic, they only list one model in the 2.4Ghz- 4.1 version- 15" monitor category, which is the "early" model. The Crucial site lists only one version as well, for the 15.4" monitor and same specs so that must be the one. Only Crucial is suggesting 4 gigs, likely based on official numbers from Apple.

So I guess go for it..... Let me know how it turns out!

Doug

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Trust me guys (Doug & DrEwTiMe42o)...both of your MacBook Pro's (if they are 2008 models)...which it sounds like they are...are both capable of being upgraded to 6 gig of ram!:)

To further clarify...every MacBook Pro sold from June, 2007 till about June, 2009 were capable of being upgraded to 6 gig of ram...even though Apples "Official" max ram for these computers was 4 gig.

In fact...a couple of the higher end MacBook Pro's models sold until June. 2009 could be upgraded to 8 gig of ram (even though Apple only said 4 gig).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm with ya now Nick, same page and rep added of course. Nice going. :Cool:

Doug

Edit: I'd also like to add that the price on that 6 gig combo upgrade is really good. I looked around.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Edit: I'd also like to add that the price on that 6 gig combo upgrade is really good. I looked around.

Good deal! :)

I like to trust that OWC is competitive with ram prices...that's why I almost always recommend them. They have great customer service, lifetime warranty on the ram, and the ram is returnable (even if it works fine). I would even order from them if their prices were slightly higher than other sites...just because of the great customer service & flexible return policy.

So EVEN IF there was some sort of error regarding the 6 gig of ram max. in the MacBook Pros we have been discussing (which there isn't)!!!;)...the ram would be returnable!:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Trust me guys (Doug & DrEwTiMe42o)...both of your MacBook Pro's (if they are 2008 models)...which it sounds like they are...are both capable of being upgraded to 6 gig of ram!:)

To further clarify...every MacBook Pro sold from June, 2007 till about June, 2009 were capable of being upgraded to 6 gig of ram...even though Apples "Official" max ram for these computers was 4 gig.

In fact...a couple of the higher end MacBook Pro's models sold until June. 2009 could be upgraded to 8 gig of ram (even though Apple only said 4 gig).

- Nick

Can't thank you both enough for your help, i really really appreciate it and you both have been rep'd!

On a side note, i can't help but wonder why apple would want to misconstrue that information. Any idea why they would want to do that? I mean its obvious now this is not a top secret tidbit of information which could easily be corrected by them so its curious why they wouldn't let the costumers know of this misconception.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't thank you both enough for your help, i really really appreciate it and you both have been rep'd!

On a side note, i can't help but wonder why apple would want to misconstrue that information. Any idea why they would want to do that? I mean its obvious now this is not a top secret tidbit of information which could easily be corrected by them so its curious why they wouldn't let the costumers know of this misconception.

You may be looking at it from the "less than positive" point of view. Apple guarantees that your particular MacBook Pro model will be stable using a maximum of 4 gig of ram. Other folks (3rd party folks and users) are the ones that discovered that this MBP can handle using 6 gig of ram. So I look at it as not blaming Apple...but I consider it a "BONUS" found by other users!:)

This sort of thing (where some Macintosh models can handle more ram than Apple "officially" claims)...has mostly been happening since the switch to Intel processors. Before that...it was much more rare. iMac G4's & eMac's were other models that could handle more than the Apple claimed max. level of ram.

There are probably folks out there...that as soon as a new Macintosh model or models are released...immediately try to put more ram into them than Apple claims to see if it will work. Sometimes it works...sometimes not.

Why Apple doesn't revise the max. ram limit (if a particular model is found to be able to handle more ram & us stable)...I don't know. Maybe there's actually a 1-2% greater chance of some sort of instability when the max. ram is exceeded...and thus maybe Apple doesn't want to create any "bad karma"!;) Just a theory.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol sounds like good theory to me, i was a bit more cynical and thought that hey just wanted us to buy new computers that much sooner haha.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.