heated notebook

Reaction score
my macbook pro has been getting too heated recently
it might be attributed to the fact that the weather is too hot out? come on, it is like 30 degrees temp, it is summer after all
unibody sometimes is hot that i am afraid it might be burnt out one day
i am not saying anything to the underside, which is on fire
i know everyone will ask the following, are the fans running properly?
here is the pic of istat, i guess it looks fine
http://i.imgur.com/lfkWX2m.png

while having itunes on it gets way hot, even while having some pages open in safari
the situation is the same
i am a little worried

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
iStat temps look fine. Yes...when the room temperature gets warmer...computer temps will get warmer as well.

About the only thing you can do is...open up the computer & give it a good cleaning with "canned air"...just in case it's clogged up with dirt/fuzz.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
iStat temps look fine. Yes...when the room temperature gets warmer...computer temps will get warmer as well.

About the only thing you can do is...open up the computer & give it a good cleaning with "canned air"...just in case it's clogged up with dirt/fuzz.

- Nick
you`re on point, the temp in the room is still hot though it is dark and it is supposed to get cooler towards the night:(
also there might be an accumulated dirt in there, true
sorry for my ignorance, shall i get the `Gas duster` aka `canned air` treatment just by using the random one or is there a specific one designed for mac?
also i heard someone say that canned air might push the dust deep inside and further create worse clogging, just asking

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
sorry for my ignorance, shall i get the `Gas duster` aka `canned air` treatment just by using the random one or is there a specific one designed for mac?

Canned air is canned air. Just look for the best price.:)

also i heard someone say that canned air might push the dust deep inside and further create worse clogging, just asking

It's possible...but unlikely. If you got dirt/dust in there...it's better to try to get rid of it with canned air (and help the cooling)...than it is to be concerned about not doing it...because there is a concern that the dirt/dust getting clogged deeper.

The areas that can get clogged with dirt/dust really aren't that complex...and the pressure of the canned air is really much greater than the force needed to expel any dust/fuzz/dirt.

- Nick

Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem, and have experienced hardware failures as a result. I now use my MBP on a ventilated laptop stand and with an external fan directed towards it. It now doesn't get too hot. Before it used to get too hot to touch.

Here in Belize it's very hot anyway, but clearly these machines aren't designed to cope with it. Friends with 2 MBPs and one MBA have all experienced meltdown of their motherboards - in my case it was just the HD that self destructed.

It's not only Macs - my quad Core i7 Windows laptop failed last year, and when it went for repair they found motherboard and HD both melted.

Laptops are getting more powerful all the time so heating/cooling is becoming more important, and if there is a fault with the manufacturers it's in not telling customers that their machines can't cope with normal conditions in some places.

I'm now getting worried that my brand new high-end Retina iPad is also getting uncomfortably hot. It isn't fitted with a fan, but I fear perhaps it needs one.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem, and have experienced hardware failures as a result. I now use my MBP on a ventilated laptop stand and with an external fan directed towards it. It now doesn't get too hot. Before it used to get too hot to touch.

Here in Belize it's very hot anyway, but clearly these machines aren't designed to cope with it. Friends with 2 MBPs and one MBA have all experienced meltdown of their motherboards - in my case it was just the HD that self destructed.

It's not only Macs - my quad Core i7 Windows laptop failed last year, and when it went for repair they found motherboard and HD both melted.

Laptops are getting more powerful all the time so heating/cooling is becoming more important, and if there is a fault with the manufacturers it's in not telling customers that their machines can't cope with normal conditions in some places.

I'm now getting worried that my brand new high-end Retina iPad is also getting uncomfortably hot. It isn't fitted with a fan, but I fear perhaps it needs one.

i am so sorry to hear it
haven`t got words to add, that`s beyond my comprehension
all i gotta do is wait for the summer to be over or use it in the cool early hours of the morning:(
thanks for suggeting I use ventilated laptop stand
hope you won`t experience the same with your new Retina iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Most of the temps in the png are lower than the ambient air temperature is outside here. This isn't a problem.

Reaction score
it certainly is here. The internal fans in both PC and Mac laptops can't cope here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No air conditioning in Belize? It was 101 F today but my home office is air conditioned which keeps my iMac at normal temperatures. A Mac notebook is going to work much harder to stay cool than a Mac desktop computer.

Reaction score
A/C is very expensive here and most people don't use it in their houses. A Mac laptop is rarely used for business so here rarely sees A/C.

C

chas_m

I assure you that all Macs have fans. They should be able to cope with normal temperatures, even warm ones -- but a few common sense reminders are apparently in order:

1. Try to avoid running the machine under heavy load when it is very hot.

2. A fan or something like that will help with heat dispersal and should be very effective in helping to cool the machine.

3. If you need to put the machine under heavy load (gaming or suchlike) try to shift those duties to when it is cooler (night-time).

4. If we're talking about a notebook model, a raised stand will help a lot.

5. And, of course, avoid leaving the computer in direct sunlight.

I lived in Florida for years, and sometimes did not have AC on hot days. Never had a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
it certainly is here. The internal fans in both PC and Mac laptops can't cope here.

35° - 50°c is not hot for a processor, nor for a hard disk. When you're in an area where this is the ambient temperature, this increases heat load. Your issues, and those of the OP are different. I have no idea what the internal temps are for your machine, but I can state it'll be higher than these.

I don't use my mbp outside here, in the summer, for exactly this reason.

By the way, the users manual does give operating temperature ranges (ambient)..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.