beachingthis

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just received my new to me Apple Macbook Pro. Its a 15 inch 2ghz Intel duo version 10.5.6 and i was wondering a few things about it. From what i have read its from early 2006 model. It has 1gb ram and 75 gig hdd, so those must be upgraded in the next week. I was wondering how much ram can i use? Can i use any Pc5400 DDR2 memory or is it apple specific?
Also going to be purchasing a 500GB Upgrade kit from OWC.com
With the upgrade kit, i can just clone the HDD with the supplied hardware with the kit correct? I would rather not have to purchase a OS but if i have to i will.

Only thing i dislike about this notebook is i have to use the button to click..no tapping the touchpad. But other than that..im done with windows.

Thanks guys ahead of time for answering my questions if you do!

Weird....Why in the world did i put in the captcha as the header...haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Hi guys, I just received my new to me Apple Macbook Pro. Its a 15 inch 2ghz Intel duo version 10.5.6 and i was wondering a few things about it. From what i have read its from early 2006 model. It has 1gb ram and 75 gig hdd, so those must be upgraded in the next week. I was wondering how much ram can i use? Can i use any Pc5400 DDR2 memory or is it apple specific?
Also going to be purchasing a 500GB Upgrade kit from OWC.com
With the upgrade kit, i can just clone the HDD with the supplied hardware with the kit correct? I would rather not have to purchase a OS but if i have to i will.

Only thing i dislike about this notebook is i have to use the button to click..no tapping the touchpad. But other than that..im done with windows.

Thanks guys ahead of time for answering my questions if you do!

Howdy, you can indeed tap the touchpad to register a click.
UNder System preferences -> trackpad you can set it to "tap to click."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Ahaha! Thanks man!

I had the same problem. I've been using a Mac for over a year, but I still consider myself a n00b when it comes to Macs.
I unfortunately still have a Windows 7 machine at home which is on the list to be parted out and replaced with a used iMac.

And regarding your RAM question - make sure the type of RAM your mac takes is the kind you're going to actually install.
Check out Mac Specs, Prices, Answers, & Comparison @ EveryMac.com - Est. 1996
and go to Apple (upper left) and 'about this mac' to see what kind of RAM your machine takes.
Then hit 'More info' and go under memory to see which slots are currently occupied.
I put some screen shots below.
Then I believe iFixit: Apple Mac, MacBook, iPod, and iPhone Repair Parts has steps on upgrading the RAM for pretty much every machine built.

Just remember - be paranoid about static! Ground yourself, and after you ground yourself ground yourself some more. I've been in IT for ten years - I have seen static kill more devices than anything. Just take your time and you'll be OK. Post pictures - they're worth a thousand dollars.

Screen shot 2010-04-19 at 7.06.18 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2010-04-19 at 7.07.01 PM.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.