Macbook Pro Fan Grinding Noise...?

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have recently (about 2 weeks ago) found out that the fan of my 13 inch-Macbook Pro (mid 2009 model) has some grinding noise when it was operating. So I thought there might be some dust and I opened it up, cleaned it (only the surface area though as I did not want to mess other things up) but the noise were still here. The grinding noise is especially loud when I start or awake the MBP from sleep, and after that it is not as loud. So I am just wondering if any of you experts might diagnose this grinding issue. And approximately how much does it cost if I bring it to the genius bar to have some experts fix it for me?

FYI: The noise is exactly the same as shown in this video.

MacBook Pro 13 inch Fan Grinding Sound - YouTube

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can't comment on a price from Apple. They'll need to see it. They don't publish pricelists.

But you can use an iFixit guide to replace the fan yourself.
Installing MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2009 Fan - iFixit

They sell parts too but you may be able to find it elsewhere too.

OP
A
Reaction score
Can't comment on a price from Apple. They'll need to see it. They don't publish pricelists.

But you can use an iFixit guide to replace the fan yourself.
Installing MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2009 Fan - iFixit

They sell parts too but you may be able to find it elsewhere too.

This might sound as odd but it seems the persistent grinding noise has disappeared all of a sudden today. The fan has back to normal one day after I made this post, wired! :Confused:
But anyways, thank mrplow for the helpful information! I'll save the link in case I need it in the future. Cheers!;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That not really a good thing. I've been building, repairing and maintaining PCs and more recently Macs for over 20 years now.

What happens with fans over time is they start to spin off centre and that's the noise you hear. Then they wear down the mounting as they spin and the noise stops, but the fan is now looser and not positioned correctly. It's only a matter of time before the fan fails and or jams where it has too much freedom of movement.

I'd suggest replacing it sooner rather than later.

OP
A
Reaction score
That not really a good thing. I've been building, repairing and maintaining PCs and more recently Macs for over 20 years now.

What happens with fans over time is they start to spin off centre and that's the noise you hear. Then they wear down the mounting as they spin and the noise stops, but the fan is now looser and not positioned correctly. It's only a matter of time before the fan fails and or jams where it has too much freedom of movement.

I'd suggest replacing it sooner rather than later.

Oh I see. It looks like the best solution to solve this problem completely is to replace a new fan then. I will order and replace the fan asap. Thanks mrplow you're awesome! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.