iPhone 4 app problem!

Reaction score
I've had my iPhone 4 for several weeks now, but I've noticed that some app icons don't look so good on my phone. They're very pixel-ish, as if they're not adjusted to the resolution and are made to be much smaller (f.ex. Sims 3 has this problem).

When I open my apps in iTunes, the icon is very large as you might know, but there it seems just fine!

How do I fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've had my iPhone 4 for several weeks now, but I've noticed that some app icons don't look so good on my phone. They're very pixel-ish, as if they're not adjusted to the resolution and are made to be much smaller (f.ex. Sims 3 has this problem).

When I open my apps in iTunes, the icon is very large as you might know, but there it seems just fine!

How do I fix this?

It's not likely you can… assuming there's really anything to fix. It could be simply your perception. Or sloppiness on the part of the app developers. A screen shot would help to demonstrate what you are talking about.

In any event, the best you can really hope to try is a full restore of your firmware via iTunes. And perhaps deleting and reinstalling the apps you think aren't right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
In some cases it has to do with the fact the App developer didn't create a new icon for the retina display the iPhone 4 has. The older icons were of a lower quality since the screen wasn't as good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
In some cases it has to do with the fact the App developer didn't create a new icon for the retina display the iPhone 4 has. The older icons were of a lower quality since the screen wasn't as good.
I believe that is the reason. I don't think the icons a person sees in iTunes are the same as the ones in the iPhone. I have had apps which predate the iPhone 4 and had the blurry low resolution the OP is talking about but when they updated the app for the iPhone 4 they also updated the icons to higher resolutions. Some app developers are lazy and didn't update their icons so those still have low resolution.

How do I fix this?
There's not much you can really do yourself. You have to contact the app developer and suggest they update their icons to higher resolutions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.