Need help buying my first Macbook

Reaction score
First off sorry to bother you guys and I hope this is in the right forum. I am looking to buy a Macbook of some sort but I am very new to them. I am going to end up buying a used one anywhere between 700-900$ Canadian. After doing some searching I found a couple that I might be interested in and would like your opinions. They are the following-

2008 Model Macbook Air- 900$
15" Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 160gig harddrive and 4g ram ( Non-unibody I was told)- 900$
White Macbook in fair condition still under coverage until late October- 2.2ghz 2g ram and 120g hardrive- $800

Let me know if you guys see any decent deals there...i'm from a smaller town in Ontario, Canada so there isn't too many used ones out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Well what are you going to be using it for? :)

C

chas_m

As a fellow Blackbook owner I am naturally biased -- I really love my machine. I find that I can watch up to 720p HD video without issue, and of course it can handle the web and music with great aplomb.

It's not a the greatest machine for high-end videogames, but that's what an XBox/PS/Wii is for imho.

You have an interesting dilemma there. The one that is still under warranty is a big plus, but the MBP is probably the best value assuming its in good shape. Any of the machines mentioned will do what you are asking for though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 10.6
Also now there is a black macbook 4.1 with 4gb ram and 250gig hard drive that I am really leaning to for 900

Evasfunk, 1st welcome to the Mac world. I have an early 2008 vintage Black Mac and a Mid 2008 vintage Mac book Pro. The unexpected difference I experience is that the Mac Book Pro's WiFi reception and performance is much more robust that the Black Mac. Using both as 'do it all' travel machines I like the size and weight of the Black Mac but almost always take the MB Pro when I travel.
Bottom line - Perhaps consider a used MB Pro. Also - With the new iTablet / iSlate being announced today you may want to consider looking at that product. Speculation data that is available now seem it would fit your needs, has about the same size screen, may sale for under $900 or so, and is brand new / latest tech. and under warranty.

OP
E
Reaction score
End up going with the black Macbook 4.1 4gb ram and 250gig harddrive..its in absolute mint condition, honestly not even a scratch lol. Now its time to get used to it since its my first mac and I paid 900 for it canadian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.