• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone have guns?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Does anyone have any experience with GunBroker? I'm thinking about purchasing a gun, but not sure about the site...or about someone shipping it to my local guns shop.

I've bought and sold more firearms on BrokeGunner than I care to recall. Thus far, I have had nothing but good experiences. The shipping to a FFL is the easy part. Make sure to know your prices, just as you would on eBay or anywhere else. If you live in some wacked out place like Kalifornia, Massachussets or Crook County, IL - few sellers are likely to sell you anything so know that before bidding. Some places have standard capacity magazine restrictions and won't ship a standard capacity gun to you out of spite for those laws. Some will only ship you a neutered gun with reduced capacity magazines, but charge you full price. I always email back and forth a bit with a seller or buyer before getting serious to avoid any issues. The ATF and Mayor Bloomberg like to mess with gun owners online, so walk away and email Gunbroker's complaint service if correspondence unearths anything weird like "I'm buying/selling this for my out of state brothers's wife" or such nonsense. 9 times out of 10, it's an activist trying to make a name or story for themselves.

FFL shipping info:
GunBroker.com - FFL Holder Network

Most FFLs will require a small fee of about $25 to do a transfer (around here at least). Shipping usually comes to about $25 for a pistol, $35 for a rifle unless it's really heavy. So, figure in about $50 on top of whatever you bid on a weapon. The basic process is:

Message the seller with any questions or requests of additional photos.
Bid and win.
Email each other with your info.
Send the seller (or have your FFL send the seller) and email, fax or snailmail copy of the receiving FFL Dealers license.
Mail or call in to the the seller your payment (most want USPS money order or credit card +3% - NO Paypal!)
When the payment arrives, your gun ships to your receiving FFL dealer.
When it gets to your FFL, go in and fill out the ATF paperwork and whatever your state requires.
Pass the background check, and take your new best friend home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I've bought and sold more firearms on BrokeGunner than I care to recall. Thus far, I have had nothing but good experiences. The shipping to a FFL is the easy part. Make sure to know your prices, just as you would on eBay or anywhere else. If you live in some wacked out place like Kalifornia, Massachussets or Crook County, IL - few sellers are likely to sell you anything so know that before bidding. Some places have standard capacity magazine restrictions and won't ship a standard capacity gun to you out of spite for those laws. Some will only ship you a neutered gun with reduced capacity magazines, but charge you full price. I always email back and forth a bit with a seller or buyer before getting serious to avoid any issues. The ATF and Mayor Bloomberg like to mess with gun owners online, so walk away and email Gunbroker's complaint service if correspondence unearths anything weird like "I'm buying/selling this for my out of state brothers's wife" or such nonsense. 9 times out of 10, it's an activist trying to make a name or story for themselves.

FFL shipping info:
GunBroker.com - FFL Holder Network

Most FFLs will require a small fee of about $25 to do a transfer (around here at least). Shipping usually comes to about $25 for a pistol, $35 for a rifle unless it's really heavy. So, figure in about $50 on top of whatever you bid on a weapon. The basic process is:

Message the seller with any questions or requests of additional photos.
Bid and win.
Email each other with your info.
Send the seller (or have your FFL send the seller) and email, fax or snailmail copy of the receiving FFL Dealers license.
Mail or call in to the the seller your payment (most want USPS money order or credit card +3% - NO Paypal!)
When the payment arrives, your gun ships to your receiving FFL dealer.
When it gets to your FFL, go in and fill out the ATF paperwork and whatever your state requires.
Pass the background check, and take your new best friend home.

Thanks. I've been in contact with my local gun shop that is also listed on the GB's FFL listing, and have pretty much everything in order with them if need be, but I keep on wondering about someone selling me something that turns up not being as good a what it looked like on the pics, and blaming it on the shop for what ever reason. Am I just being paranoid?

PS: I'm looking to pick up a CZ 75 stainless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I've been in contact with my local gun shop that is also listed on the GB's FFL listing, and have pretty much everything in order with them if need be, but I keep on wondering about someone selling me something that turns up not being as good a what it looked like on the pics, and blaming it on the shop for what ever reason. Am I just being paranoid?

PS: I'm looking to pick up a CZ 75 stainless.

I don't think you are paranoid. Caveat Emptor and all that... My personal process is to ask for tons of pictures, especially of the breech face, the rails, etc... I always call out a question along the lines of "Is this firearm 100% factory stock with no alterations?" because I don't want any liability of some backyard gunsmith screwing up something. Personally, all of my sales are listed as "As is, no refunds, please bother me with excessive questions!". I have 100% positive feedback after many years and want to keep it, and any good seller will probably be similar in their approach.

Important!!! Inspect the firearm after it is delivered to your FFL before starting any transfer paperwork. It becomes a paperwork mess to send anything back if the paperwork is done and the check has been run. Also, like titling a car, the firearm becomes "used" and you'll have a tough time getting the seller to take it back if you bought it new. On already used guns, this isn't nearly as big of an issue.

Reaction score
Looking for a 9mm for the wife, but on a limited budget so models like the Kahr PM9 are pretty much out of the picture. Any suggestions on a reliable, light, small frame 9mm for under $350?

Reaction score
Looking for a 9mm for the wife, but on a limited budget so models like the Kahr PM9 are pretty much out of the picture. Any suggestions on a reliable, light, small frame 9mm for under $350?

Might check with local dealers and see what you'll pay for a Ruger LC9.

I know you said it's not an option, but if there's any way to save for the Kahr, it's a great, reliable option, IMO.

I'm afraid you may have a pretty tough time coming up with a new, good quality 9mm for $350 or less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That's a tough one... The level of comfort your wife has with a firearm would probably dictate model and make. A reliable 9mm under $350 is probably going to be a used firearm. (90% of mine are used BTW). This might be a situation where, with a purchase as important to "get right" the first time as a firearm, waiting a bit longer and saving another $100 is a good choice. Definitely not a purchase to try and skimp on. Anyhow... Gunbroker.com, Budsgunshop.com and armslist.com are good places to start looking for a deal. The internet is full of good deals if you are patient. Even better would be any firearms-related forum local to your area. Depending upon your state laws, with a perfectly legal private party sale you can save yourself the cost of shipping, taxes and a FFL transfer fee, as well as have a pistol the ATF has no legal right to know about.

Good luck!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I was going through this thread and I must say, I'm impressed! I didn't know there was a forum on the internet that wouldn't develop into a full scale argument regarding a touchy topic like guns or gun control. I think I like this forum! :)

Well, it has taken a turn now and then, but we try to keep it on-topic.

Glad you like it here, welcome to Mac-Forums.com :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I waited it out for a local shop to carry something I wanted, but it just so happened that Gander Mountain had 2 guns that I wanted: Sig Sauer 1911 .22, and a CZ75-P07 9mm.
I put them on hold for two days because I couldn't decide which...they both feel great in my hand, but I can naturally aim the CZ in my sleep. It also won out because I don't want to second doubt anything if anything were to happen...9mm wins over a .22.
Just got the CZ home a few hours ago, and stripped it to clean and learn.
Very happy:)
20120313-mw81dr72bfd5yf89jpe2s3r311.jpg

Now, if only my local gun range didn't have screwy hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice. Does the external lever allow for condition 1 carry? I can't keep the CZ variants straight in my head sometimes. Looks good, now go shoot the he11 out of it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
No chance for me; a combination of NYC's strict laws and the fact I am not (yet) a citizen puts it out of the question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Nice. Does the external lever allow for condition 1 carry? I can't keep the CZ variants straight in my head sometimes. Looks good, now go shoot the he11 out of it!

Yes, you could. It comes with interchangeable safely and decocking levers. I have it set for de-cocking right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I've got to be honest here, I love the way my gun looks in person. However, it doesn't remotely look the same in the pic. Oh well, I guess I'll have to live with it in person only:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4S, MacPro 3.3 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon /6GB RAM OSX 10.8.2, 27" display,i AirPort Extreme
People's Republic of NY

No chance for me; a combination of NYC's strict laws and the fact I am not (yet) a citizen puts it out of the question.

Pretty much sums up why I'll never live in New York or California although I've been to both. What most folks fail to realize is that a society where citizens can go legally armed is a polite society. Never seen the "Dodge City" all the liberals are in a panic over.

I wish you well on your application for citizenship.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I've put 500 rounds through my CZ since buying it last week, and it didn't have a single hiccup. Through learning about how it wears down when shooting, I realized that my gun had most likely been used a ccw. I've gotten the barrel brushed and polished up, and looks much better now imo when compared to how the barrel had the same finish as the gun.
I LIKE IT!
20120322-nekxajtsmgd1n4e7tyu56w2gk5.jpg

20120322-tkk5tme6664swgb48uca5wdg37.jpg

20120322-gmky4wdtiy4ai6f81hkw4t4ti4.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ordered a case (1000 rounds) of CCI Speer Lawman TMJ .45ACP 230gr for $364 shipped and a case of Winchester Ranger NATO FMJ +P 124gr for $225 shipped last week. They arrived Thursday. I though I'd do another order yesterday to finish out my stash - no go. Out of stock on both counts. They popped up in stock again this evening. The .45 was $434 shipped and the 9mm was $284 shipped. Ouch! I guess I'm done for a while. I think my next purchase will be some primers, powder and projectiles so I can cut out some expense and get back to reloading again...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(27" iMac i5) (2011 15" MacBook Pro)
I have a Sig P229 in .40 S&W (pre rails), a P245 .45 ACP (discontinued) and a Mosquito .22lr (biggest piece of crap gun ever created.) Because of this I'll NEVER give Sig another penny of mine out of principle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have a Sig P229 in .40 S&W (pre rails), a P245 .45 ACP (discontinued) and a Mosquito .22lr (biggest piece of crap gun ever created.) Because of this I'll NEVER give Sig another penny of mine out of principle.

Sig makes awesome guns, it just so happens that the Mosquito is their budget handgun. There are some complaints about it on Sig forums, but overall, the reviews are great for it. Maybe you got a dud...whether you purchased it new or used. Like most .22lr handguns, it is picky with ammo. CCI minimags seem to be what they prefer to fire, and other ammo seems to cause more misfires and jams. For the ~$350 price of it new, you can't really expect much out of it.

You know how the saying goes, though..."you get what ya pay for."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was lucky and scored a Gen 3 Glock 19 with Dark Earth frame this week. This year I was only going to buy ammo. Honestly, it's not much different in color than the OD Green frames of years past. Ah, well...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.