water damage - best option?

Reaction score
So I spilled water on my macbook, even after drying out it still wouldn't start. So I got a repair quote from apple - and they said it will cost about $700 to fix it. (the laptop is about 3 months old). I don't know if I can afford that (probably can't) but here are a couple of questions:

1) if I do get it fixed, will i now have a voided warranty?
2) considering the damage to the computer, even after its been fixed will the computer be reliable at all?
3) could I sell the spare parts of the computer? (if i do that what kind of money can you get, and is that safe? do i risk giving out my personal information that might be stored on my hard drive etc)

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
1. It's already voided. Apple should give you a warranty only on the repaired pieces. Not sure how long the warranty is though.
2. Not sure, how much was spilled and where.
3. If you were to sell it AS-Is, all of the info would be saved on the HD assuming it still works. You could always remove the HD prior to sale.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So I spilled water on my macbook, even after drying out it still wouldn't start. So I got a repair quote from apple - and they said it will cost about $700 to fix it. (the laptop is about 3 months old). I don't know if I can afford that (probably can't) but here are a couple of questions:

1) if I do get it fixed, will i now have a voided warranty?

Not if it's repaired by Apple or an authorized Apple repair center.

2) considering the damage to the computer, even after its been fixed will the computer be reliable at all?

The water itself doesn't damage the machine, it's the shorting of the circuitry that occurs because power is still flowing through it. It depends on how the liquid spilled and what components it touched. Chances are, your system board is fried and just changing it will correct the problems.

3) could I sell the spare parts of the computer? (if i do that what kind of money can you get, and is that safe? do i risk giving out my personal information that might be stored on my hard drive etc)

You could remove the hard drive, install it in an external case and use it as a spare. Then, sell the rest of the machine for parts.

Personally, I would probably just get it repaired. MacService.com and TechRestore.com are two reputable companies that offer mail-in service and quick turnaround. MacService actually frequents this forum and we've gotten some good feedback about them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
i would weight up a new computer that is guaranteed to be free from water damage problems and sell your current one as spares and repairs but taking out the hdd. but thats just me being flash with cash.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
okay so sounds like if i decide to spend the money a repair is a better option than a new computer.

I think you're going to derive more value from what sounds like an almost new machine that way. If you sell it for parts, you're unlikely to get much more than a few hundred dollars for it.

Reaction score
water damage on macbook pro 2009

ok so my friend spilled water on the keyboard of her macbook and gave it to me to fix she said it shut off right after it did that. they put it in a circulated air place to sit. and they turned it on after a day or so. and the mac starts up and the fan spins the keyboard dosnt light up nor the screen anyhelp?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
ok so my friend spilled water on the keyboard of her macbook and gave it to me to fix she said it shut off right after it did that. they put it in a circulated air place to sit. and they turned it on after a day or so. and the mac starts up and the fan spins the keyboard dosnt light up nor the screen anyhelp?

Did you try searching Mac-Forums for an answer first?...if you did...you would have found this "sticky" which was in the same sub-forum you posted in:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...d-my-macbook-what-should-i-do-now-thread.html

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.