Installed Seagate 750gb 7200rpm drive, SLIGHT humming..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
Hey guys and gals!

I just installed a 750gb 7200rpm seagate momentus drive. Got it for $69 so I COULD not pass that up.

Install went great, restored from time machine, and all is well.. noticed it to be a bit quicker and snappier (may just be because I only had 40gb left on my 320gb original 5400rpm drive).

I DID notice this morning though (and I can't remember if I just didn't notice it before hand) that there was a slight hum, very similar to a fan noise.. and if i rest my hand over the drive area it quiets down a bit. No vibration can be felt though.

Is this normal? it certainly doesn't bother me but the last thing i want is a failure.

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Doesn't sound normal to me. Should be quiet, like only hear it in a totally quiet room, quiet. I would open up and recheck the seating of the drive, any missing or loose screws.

Good luck.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Humming is fine, it's clicking that is bad.

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
thanks guys.

quin.. the ONLY time I can hear it is in a silent room... Example, I noticed it this morning because I woke up to a quiet room.. pulled my laptop onto my bed to respond to an email really quick and could hear it.. if i'm tying I can't hear it.. only if the room is dead silent and the computer is idle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
thanks guys.

quin.. the ONLY time I can hear it is in a silent room... Example, I noticed it this morning because I woke up to a quiet room.. pulled my laptop onto my bed to respond to an email really quick and could hear it.. if i'm tying I can't hear it.. only if the room is dead silent and the computer is idle.

Yeah, you're like me. I kind of 'freaked out' a little too after I installed my Hitachi 7200 rpm HDD. Compared to the original 5400 rpm drive, the 7200 rpm drive gives a little 'tickle' under the palm rest with vibration and a slight hum with no ambient noises around. Since then I don't even noticed it anymore, and wouldn't notice the difference if the two drive are not side by side to compare. With the price so cheap for a 7200 rpm and the almost identical noise, vibration, and reliability, more people should go with the 7200rpm drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.