Microsoft Office 2008

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2 Memory, 120 GB hard drive
I have a question on Microsoft Office 2008 for Macs. Is this software only loadable for one user or multiple users? I'm asking this because I can have access to Microsoft Office 2008 for my Macbook but I always thought software could only be loaded once and for one user only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Macbook w 4 GB RAM & 320 GB HD
I bought the Home edition, and it came with three different install codes.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can, by rule of thumb, only install the application on as many computers as you have serial keys. While this may be so, some EULAs allow for multiple installations if you are the only one who uses those computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
You can give every user permission to use the apps, if they don't already have it....

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can, by rule of thumb, only install the application on as many computers as you have serial keys. While this may be so, some EULAs allow for multiple installations if you are the only one who uses those computers.

Thank you.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iWorks 09, Microsoft Office 2004, & Microsoft Office 2008

Which one is a better software? I've read good comments on iWorks 09 and could get a hold of it for free. But I'm debating on it because I'm so accustomed to Microsoft Office. Which Microsoft Office is recommendable? I've read good comments on 2004 but the copies that I have found are a little bit more than 2008 since I can get a brand new one at my college for $89, although I've read that 2008 isn't as good as 2004. If I get 2004, can I still use the files on a PC? Would it be a waste of hard drive to get iWorks 09 and Microsoft Office?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It ultimately depends on your usage needs. If you are a college student or work at a place that you transport Office documents from work to home, then perhaps you'll want to stick with Office simply to offset any compatibility issues that might crop up were you to use iWork or something else.

As for choosing between Office 2004 and Office 2008, the only reason to go with the former is VB macros. If you have no need for that feature, then I would highly suggest Office 2008. It will run faster on a new Mac and is simply easier to use, especially if you're used to Office 2007 on Windows.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have you tried OpenOffice.org or NeoOffice? In my opinion, both are equal to or better than MS Office and iWork (depending on your needs) - and you can't beat the price (i.e. free).

Also, please don't take this as an accusation, but more of an FYI... pirated copies of iWork '09 are circulating with a trojan in tow. So, if that's what you mean by having a free copy available, you'd be well advised to avoid it.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It ultimately depends on your usage needs. If you are a college student or work at a place that you transport Office documents from work to home, then perhaps you'll want to stick with Office simply to offset any compatibility issues that might crop up were you to use iWork or something else.

As for choosing between Office 2004 and Office 2008, the only reason to go with the former is VB macros. If you have no need for that feature, then I would highly suggest Office 2008. It will run faster on a new Mac and is simply easier to use, especially if you're used to Office 2007 on Windows.

What if I'm used to Windows 2003, is Office 2008 still suggestible?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried OpenOffice.org or NeoOffice? In my opinion, both are equal to or better than MS Office and iWork (depending on your needs) - and you can't beat the price (i.e. free).

Also, please don't take this as an accusation, but more of an FYI... pirated copies of iWork '09 are circulating with a trojan in tow. So, if that's what you mean by having a free copy available, you'd be well advised to avoid it.

I've heard of Open Office but am hesitant on it.

The iWorks 09 I will be receiving isn't a pirated copy.

I thought there weren't any viruses in the Apple realm...(trojan)?

Reaction score
A trojan isn't the same as a virus. There aren't viruses that affect Macs, there are trojans that affect Macs.

I would avoid Office 2004 if you possibly can- it's terrible. I remember having to work with large Excel sheets and trying to scroll down... it was painful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
Office '08 has a lot of nice features, but iWork '09 is a lot 'leaner'. You'll notice a big difference between the two suites.

Personally, I like iWork '09 a lot better than Office '08 (own both). Word '08 has crashed a few times on my wife and I, but Pages has crashed maybe once that I can remember.

However, my wife uses iWork exclusively now that iWork supports Mathtype (math professor), and hates Office '08. Sometimes students will send her assignments in .DOCX format (Word '07) that will take upwards of 2min to open in Office '08 (on iMac 2.6Ghz 4GB RAM); however, if the document is sent in .DOC format, it opens fine. I contacted Micro$oft about it and they said it is a 'known issue' because of the font-checking that goes on w/ .DOCX format (that's what they said). Also, if a student enters an equation in Equation Editor (Word '03 or '07), they will not show up in Word '08--only placeholders--another 'known issue'. However, Pages opens .DOCX files just fine (very fast), but the equations have a 50/50 chance of showing.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've heard of Open Office but am hesitant on it.

I'd recommend you install it and try it out. If you don't like it, worst case scenario is you'll just drag and drop it in the trash.

The iWorks 09 I will be receiving isn't a pirated copy.

I thought there weren't any viruses in the Apple realm...(trojan)?

There are trojans on every platform. Trojans are simply an unwanted program that is disguised as or that accompany a desirable program. Someone who creates a trojan is simply relying on the ignorance of the user to install the software willfully. They do not self-replicate, nor are they contracted without the user's direct intervention.

One can avoid trojans simply by being judicious of the software they install, making sure it's from a trusted source, and by never, ever entering their admin password when prompted unless they know for sure that the program is legit.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Office '08 has a lot of nice features, but iWork '09 is a lot 'leaner'. You'll notice a big difference between the two suites.
I tried iWork 08 and 09 and Numbers was horribly slow. Even entering numbers into cells made me wonder what was taking so long and it is by no means because of low specs on my Mac.

There are trojans on every platform. Trojans are simply an unwanted program that is disguised as or that accompany a desirable program. Someone who creates a trojan is simply relying on the ignorance of the user to install the software willfully. They do not self-replicate, nor are they contracted without the user's direct intervention.

One can avoid trojans simply by being judicious of the software they install, making sure it's from a trusted source, and by never, ever entering their admin password when prompted unless they know for sure that the program is legit.
Well said. The "security through obscurity" saying, while having some element of truth (obscurity does help), is overemphasized as a means to justify Macs as impenetrable. Ignorance is usually accompanied by an unjustifiable sense of security. It is never inappropriate to be vigilant.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A trojan isn't the same as a virus. There aren't viruses that affect Macs, there are trojans that affect Macs.

I would avoid Office 2004 if you possibly can- it's terrible. I remember having to work with large Excel sheets and trying to scroll down... it was painful.

Thank you for the clarification.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Personally, I like iWork '09 a lot better than Office '08 (own both). Word '08 has crashed a few times on my wife and I, but Pages has crashed maybe once that I can remember.

However, my wife uses iWork exclusively now that iWork supports Mathtype (math professor), and hates Office '08. Sometimes students will send her assignments in .DOCX format (Word '07) that will take upwards of 2min to open in Office '08 (on iMac 2.6Ghz 4GB RAM); however, if the document is sent in .DOC format, it opens fine. I contacted Micro$oft about it and they said it is a 'known issue' because of the font-checking that goes on w/ .DOCX format (that's what they said). Also, if a student enters an equation in Equation Editor (Word '03 or '07), they will not show up in Word '08--only placeholders--another 'known issue'. However, Pages opens .DOCX files just fine (very fast), but the equations have a 50/50 chance of showing.

Geez...a lot of small technical issues.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd recommend you install it and try it out. If you don't like it, worst case scenario is you'll just drag and drop it in the trash.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As posted earlier depends what you want to use it for. If you are going to college on uni, suggest Office 2008 to be readily recognised by lecturers who may only accept work submitted in MS Word.

As a suggestion go over the the Mactopia web site and download a trial version of Office 2008 for Mac which was made available in the last week or so and see what you think of it:-

Try Office 2008 for Mac from Microsoft for Free | Mactopia

If your demands are not great, also try downloading the free versions mentioned here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.