Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 73
  1. #1
    DC beltway crash
    Village Idiot's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 04, 2007
    Location
    Durtburg, WV
    Posts
    2,641
    Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    DC beltway crash
    So about a day or two ago:

    A cop was chasing a motorcycle on DC's beltway. The motorcycle swerved infront of another vehicle and the cop tried to follow. The cop hit the vehicle, causing it to go through the median and flip over onto the oncoming traffic, hitting and SUV and causing a multi car collision. Two people died and 13 were injured. The bike got away.

    What makes the DC area bike community angry is this. The DC police are looking for a black bike and supposedly just pulling over people on black bikes. I have a black bike. 50% of the other riders out there have a black bike. It sucks that we're being targeted because of the public's perception of sportbike riders in general. The usual attitude of the police is usually one of disdain and loathing. Sometimes we get nice cops or ones that don't discriminate, but generally you'll get pulled over out of a pack of cars or you'll get shafted with tickets and everything else.

    Now it's going to be impossible to go anywhere in the DC area in the next few weeks on a bike without having to worry about getting pulled over and interogated by the police.
    Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

    Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

  2. #2
    DC beltway crash
    Brown Study's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2004
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    1,964
    Specs:
    G4 — Tiger and OS 9
    But the cops have to justify the two-fatality, multi-injury high-speed chase somehow.

  3. #3
    DC beltway crash
    Village Idiot's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 04, 2007
    Location
    Durtburg, WV
    Posts
    2,641
    Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
    But the cops have to justify the two-fatality, multi-injury high-speed chase somehow.
    Because even considering that the cop may be at fault is crazy
    Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

    Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

  4. #4
    DC beltway crash
    BIG D 04's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2006
    Location
    Birmingham (S), UK
    Posts
    665
    Specs:
    20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
    This goes against everything I would normally say, but if you have nothing to worry about just carry on driving your Bike.

    I mean what's the worse they can do?
    Damien Healy
    iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |

  5. #5
    DC beltway crash
    Village Idiot's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 04, 2007
    Location
    Durtburg, WV
    Posts
    2,641
    Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG D 04 View Post
    This goes against everything I would normally say, but if you have nothing to worry about just carry on driving your Bike.

    I mean what's the worse they can do?
    Actually give me a ticket for doing 115 in a 65....
    Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

    Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

  6. #6
    DC beltway crash
    Brown Study's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2004
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    1,964
    Specs:
    G4 — Tiger and OS 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
    Because even considering that the cop may be at fault is crazy
    I think you missed the point.

  7. #7
    DC beltway crash
    Village Idiot's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 04, 2007
    Location
    Durtburg, WV
    Posts
    2,641
    Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
    I think you missed the point.
    Apparently the county was sued several years back for a similar incident where a police that was pursuing caused an accident and injury/death. They just don't want to be sued again.
    Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

    Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

  8. #8
    DC beltway crash
    mathogre's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2007
    Location
    Oakton, VA USA
    Posts
    3,269
    Specs:
    White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
    I can empathize.

    You're local? If you remember the snipers in '02, everyone saw a "white van" leaving the scenes of the crimes. Those vehicles were pulled over regularly in this area if you recall. The snipers actually drove a blue or purple Chevy Caprice, and were actually pulled over for speeding after one of the shootings.
    Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
    Integrate me. Differentiate me.
    You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

    Homepage | Gallery
    I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.

  9. #9
    DC beltway crash
    Village Idiot's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 04, 2007
    Location
    Durtburg, WV
    Posts
    2,641
    Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by mathogre View Post
    I can empathize.

    You're local? If you remember the snipers in '02, everyone saw a "white van" leaving the scenes of the crimes. Those vehicles were pulled over regularly in this area if you recall. The snipers actually drove a blue or purple Chevy Caprice, and were actually pulled over for speeding after one of the shootings.
    This happened on the PG section of the belt way.

    Guilty by association. It's just the huge amount of ignorance that gets me. They're looking for a black sport bike. That's like saying they're looking for a black male....They have no description yet, so it's like, "Let's just go after every one until we get lucky. If nothing else, we'll give those sport biking bastages what they deserve with tickets and harassment."
    Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

    Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

  10. #10
    DC beltway crash
    Brown Study's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2004
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    1,964
    Specs:
    G4 — Tiger and OS 9
    And a bike isn't like a car. It would take five minutes to spray the gas tank a different colour, 10 more for anything else.

  11. #11
    DC beltway crash
    MUDCRABS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 31, 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    247
    Specs:
    13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
    They're looking for a black sport bike.
    So what's you answer? Don’t bother that people got killed and just forget it?

    If a black sport bike was the problem in this instance, you don't have to be a rouge scholar to work out they ‘will’ pull every black sport bike.

    I don't see your logic apart from ‘You’ being inconvenienced at being stopped?
    I dont have Attention Deficit Dis..... Hey look! A chicken!.

    http://p220.ezboard.com/bmudcrabsrockpool

  12. #12
    DC beltway crash
    Brown Study's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2004
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    1,964
    Specs:
    G4 — Tiger and OS 9
    There's lots of logic behind it. It gives the cops a purported reason to stop anyone on a black bike, suspicious or not, and kills any racial-profiling allegations.

  13. #13
    DC beltway crash
    Village Idiot's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 04, 2007
    Location
    Durtburg, WV
    Posts
    2,641
    Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by MUDCRABS View Post
    So what's you answer? Don’t bother that people got killed and just forget it?

    If a black sport bike was the problem in this instance, you don't have to be a rouge scholar to work out they ‘will’ pull every black sport bike.

    I don't see your logic apart from ‘You’ being inconvenienced at being stopped?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
    There's lots of logic behind it. It gives the cops a purported reason to stop anyone on a black bike, suspicious or not, and kills any racial-profiling allegations.
    Which in turn makes it plain old profiling.

    Say 45% of the bikes are black and the population of black bikes it 100,000. That's 1 person out of 100,000 that they're looking for based on the "black bike theory". So 99,999 people have to possibly suffer through harassment and such because of one person? You know there are some cops out there that are going to be looking for revenge and are going to ticket any sport bike they pull over for what ever they can find. It's not all of them, but some people choose to abuse their powers.
    Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

    Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

  14. #14
    DC beltway crash
    Kash's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 03, 2006
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    9,385
    Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    Please tell me somebody is suing the cop for being a total moron. If I were one of the injured, I wouldn't stop until I got that idiot suspended or fired. Two people dead and 13 injured, not to mention how much traffic must have backed up? If that's not negligent and just plain stupid, I don't know what is.

    Now, I'm not a cop hater, not by a long shot. But I AM against cops who are complete idiots and cause more harm than good. Police officers are supposed to instill a sense of safety in the public, not terror. If your first instinct at seeing a police officer is fear, then something is wrong.

    Anyway, back on topic. Profiling sucks. It happened to me once while driving home from the beach with my friends. It was a relatively packed highway, and a cop pulled me over. The only description he had was that a black car was speeding. I looked at him like he was stupid and pointed out that there were at least a dozen black cars around me. He tried pulling some other stunt involving drugs (he thought the sand in my car was marijuana). He knew he had nothing, but it's so annoying to see cops try and safe face.

    If you're wrong, just admit it and leave the person alone. Trust me officer, nobody cares that you were wrong.

    June 2007
    July 2009

  15. #15
    DC beltway crash
    MUDCRABS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 31, 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    247
    Specs:
    13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
    Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
    Which in turn makes it plain old profiling.

    Say 45% of the bikes are black and the population of black bikes it 100,000. That's 1 person out of 100,000 that they're looking for based on the "black bike theory". So 99,999 people have to possibly suffer through harassment and such because of one person? You know there are some cops out there that are going to be looking for revenge and are going to ticket any sport bike they pull over for what ever they can find. It's not all of them, but some people choose to abuse their powers.
    OK............ You tell us what is to be done
    I dont have Attention Deficit Dis..... Hey look! A chicken!.

    http://p220.ezboard.com/bmudcrabsrockpool

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. OS X 10.6.8 Crash
    By silverback in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-19-2011, 07:38 PM
  2. OS X crash, graphics crash, fsck crash...
    By Mac4Ten in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2009, 02:18 PM
  3. Entourage (and other MS Office apps) crash, crash, crash
    By kkempter in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-06-2008, 10:43 PM
  4. First crash?
    By Ricky55 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-12-2007, 04:27 AM
  5. iDVD crash, crash, crash, crash!
    By jacksonworld in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-21-2006, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •