Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    peteranton
    Guest
    G4/5 or Intel Mac?
    I am interested in replacing a Beige G3/4 with a Mac Mini. But after finally repurchasing all my software so I am able to become 100% OS X (no more Classic start-up), and now comes the Intel Macs. I understand that they are compatible with pre-Universal apps, but am I just going through more $$$ just keep my apps up to date?

    Isn't there an advantage to get the last G4/5s, and make the jump later in the product cycle? Any thoughts out there?

  2. #2
    G4/5 or Intel Mac?
    Graphite's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2003
    Location
    Tropical Island, Jealous?
    Posts
    5,279
    Specs:
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    I am not buying an intel mac till next year.

    If i were buying a mac this year, I would go with a G5 Quad.

  3. #3
    imacdoyou
    Guest
    I just bought a G5 IMac and I don't regret it. I asked the Apple store salesman what I should buy and he said that right now, the G5 is still a great machine and all of Apple's software will work with it and it's a a great price. I mean they didn't release the G5 Imac until October or November of last year so it's not that old anyway. I wouldn't mind having the Intel Imac, but just couldn't see the price difference for me because I would mainly be using the iLife apps and Photoshop.........and I never like to buy the first year model of anything, due to bugs whether it's a car or a Mac. However, lots of people on this site use the intel macs with no problems at all and they are faster the the powerpc based macs for a number of tasks. I figure when my icare plan expires on this one in three years, it'll be time to go for the dual cores but that's just my personal preference.

  4. #4
    peteranton
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphite
    I am not buying an intel mac till next year.

    If i were buying a mac this year, I would go with a G5 Quad.
    Not at $3,299.00. Thanks anyway.

    I am replacing a G4 upgraded Beige G3. The present non-Intel Mac Minis would fit my needs, just wonder if the price will go down. ????

  5. #5
    MJGUK
    Guest
    Well if you wanted a G5....The iMac G5 is a great deal right now.

  6. #6
    peteranton
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MJGUK
    Well if you wanted a G5....The iMac G5 is a great deal right now.
    Have a new 19" LCD, that's why I won't consider an iMac. And the G5s are WAY too big to fit where the G3 sits now (a computer armoire). I guess I'm leaning towards the Mini. Do you think that Apple will leave our pre-Intel software out in the cold, like they did with OS 9 apps? Or will the future OS X/XI run those apps okay (not like Classic)?

  7. #7
    G4/5 or Intel Mac?
    Graphite's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2003
    Location
    Tropical Island, Jealous?
    Posts
    5,279
    Specs:
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    the macmini price will not go down for a long time. They were just moved down a notch by the intel macmini.

  8. #8
    peteranton
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphite
    the macmini price will not go down for a long time. They were just moved down a notch by the intel macmini.
    Thanks. What about the software isssue? How well would the Intel Macs run Photoshop CS2, compared to my PowerBook G4?

  9. #9
    lil
    Guest
    I recently acquired a Digital Audio Power Mac G4, and souped it right up, with 1.5GB, 160GB HD space, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, Dual G4 1.8GHz and DVD±R 16x and the thing absolutely flies along; maybe another possibility.

    I went this route as I adore the Graphite G4 case (as used in the Yikes, Sawtooth, Gigabit and Digital Audio G4s); plus a dual G5 was out of my range.

    A recommended route if you want more expandability than a Mac Mini.

    Vicky

  10. #10
    peteranton
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lil
    I recently acquired a Digital Audio Power Mac G4, and souped it right up, with 1.5GB, 160GB HD space, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, Dual G4 1.8GHz and DVD±R 16x and the thing absolutely flies along; maybe another possibility.

    I went this route as I adore the Graphite G4 case (as used in the Yikes, Sawtooth, Gigabit and Digital Audio G4s); plus a dual G5 was out of my range.

    A recommended route if you want more expandability than a Mac Mini.

    Vicky
    Vicky, what is a Digital Audio Power Mac G4?

  11. #11
    MJGUK
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by peteranton
    Have a new 19" LCD, that's why I won't consider an iMac. And the G5s are WAY too big to fit where the G3 sits now (a computer armoire). I guess I'm leaning towards the Mini. Do you think that Apple will leave our pre-Intel software out in the cold, like they did with OS 9 apps? Or will the future OS X/XI run those apps okay (not like Classic)?
    I think they will support PowerPC Apps for around 5 years, or a similar time period as they did with the OS 9 Apps, eventually though they will of course become unsupported, I have no doubt about that.

    So as people have mentioned before the choice is therefore, quite simple.
    If you intend to change your new computer within 3-5 years, then you should go for the PowerPC option.
    If however, you like to wear your machines down to their last power on, well then maybe you should go for an Intel Machine, as they will be supported for eternity, as we currently know it

    Good Luck!

  12. #12
    G4/5 or Intel Mac?
    Graphite's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2003
    Location
    Tropical Island, Jealous?
    Posts
    5,279
    Specs:
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    Quote Originally Posted by peteranton
    Thanks. What about the software isssue? How well would the Intel Macs run Photoshop CS2, compared to my PowerBook G4?
    You would notice an increase for sure, even though it would be running in rosetta, don't worry though, there will be a native photoshop released soon as Photoshop ...what is it now... 9? is released

  13. #13
    G4/5 or Intel Mac?
    BlindingLights's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 17, 2006
    Posts
    688
    Specs:
    iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
    I read somewhere that Intel Mac's can't run Photoshop, though I could be wrong....

    The software issue is kinda tough, but if you persevere enough, you can find good software. It took me like a week to find a good torrent client. But if you want the majority of software support, go with the G5 now. If you can wait for about six months, I assume they'll have more Intel support then.

  14. #14
    G4/5 or Intel Mac?

    Member Since
    Nov 24, 2005
    Posts
    749
    Specs:
    Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
    Here's the dealbreaker for most: Photoshop. What Apple didn't realize was that while because the iMac is targeted at consumers, many consumers still use PhotoShop. They figured that consumers use mostly iLife and Safari, etc., which were Universal from the start.
    I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-19-2010, 06:32 PM
  2. Power Mac G5 Quad VS new Mac Mini 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    By Maris in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 07:34 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 03:32 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2006, 02:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •