Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Passed my Mac Cert exam today. 9L0-401
    macgig's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 15, 2006
    Posts
    623
    Specs:
    20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 GB ram | 10.6.8
    Talking Passed my Mac Cert exam today. 9L0-401
    anyone else thinking of taking it, make sure you study command line interface stuff and networking.

    It asked more questions in those categories than any other. Surprised the heck out of me.

  2. #2
    Passed my Mac Cert exam today. 9L0-401
    Ghostshadow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 21, 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,075
    Specs:
    iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
    What type of stuff did it cover for the terminal and networking? Are they general networking?

    What about the terminal? General unix commands, like navigation, file management, cron jobs?

  3. #3
    Passed my Mac Cert exam today. 9L0-401
    macgig's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 15, 2006
    Posts
    623
    Specs:
    20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 GB ram | 10.6.8
    I would say its probably general networking, but it seemed hard to me (networking is my weak area, I knew that already).

    For networking it covered three areas: network configuration and troubleshooting, accessing network services, and providing network services.

    many questions about installation, users, file systems, permissions, printing... a few troubleshooting questions...

    it was all multiple choice, but many questions had a "choose two or three" answers... some gave you a picture to look at and the question was based on that picture. about 74 questions in all.

  4. #4
    Passed my Mac Cert exam today. 9L0-401

    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2007
    Location
    *Brisvegas*
    Posts
    5,658
    Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Do you think doing this Apple Cert was forth the effort. As in do you think you'll get much use out if it now that you have it? I'm asking cause I was thinking of doing some of the Apple certs. I don't work in the IT industry or anything. Just asking cause I'm a Mac user who really wants to increase my Mac knowledge.

    And by the way congrats on passing the exam.

  5. #5
    Passed my Mac Cert exam today. 9L0-401
    macgig's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 15, 2006
    Posts
    623
    Specs:
    20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 GB ram | 10.6.8
    Quote Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
    Do you think doing this Apple Cert was forth the effort. As in do you think you'll get much use out if it now that you have it? I'm asking cause I was thinking of doing some of the Apple certs. I don't work in the IT industry or anything. Just asking cause I'm a Mac user who really wants to increase my Mac knowledge.

    And by the way congrats on passing the exam.
    I think it's worth it, because I too wanted to dig deeper and gain a better understanding of macs and OSX. I am not in IT yet either, but I am trying to better myself for a job change... My professor in college told me in an email that if you want to get in IT, certifications are a good way to open doors.

    There are some other cool mac certs to take, so I may take another one.

  6. #6
    Passed my Mac Cert exam today. 9L0-401

    Member Since
    Sep 29, 2008
    Location
    in my house
    Posts
    9
    Specs:
    2.2 SR MBP
    Quote Originally Posted by macgig View Post
    My professor in college told me in an email that if you want to get in IT, certifications are a good way to open doors.
    In a perfect world I guess your professor is correct.

    When my company sits down to hire and all the talk from the applicant is around a cert we generally take note that you don't have any real knowledge that would help support our environment. We also have 3 separate test scenarios used to judge applicants. We've had to crack down like this because too many people take exams and can't backup their book knowledge in the real world.

    FWIW I'm a Network Engineer and I have passed plenty of Cisco certs.

    EDIT: Congrats by the way

  7. #7
    Passed my Mac Cert exam today. 9L0-401
    macgig's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 15, 2006
    Posts
    623
    Specs:
    20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 GB ram | 10.6.8
    I agree, many people can pass the test, and have no real world experience. but how can they get that experience when no one will hire them?

    The cisco certs would be great to have, but I'm a networking noob. It's my weak area... so I will work on it.

    I recently took the Network+ test and failed that one. lol

  8. #8
    Passed my Mac Cert exam today. 9L0-401
    lifeafter2am's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 25, 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,395
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro Unibody
    Quote Originally Posted by macgig View Post
    I agree, many people can pass the test, and have no real world experience. but how can they get that experience when no one will hire them?

    The cisco certs would be great to have, but I'm a networking noob. It's my weak area... so I will work on it.

    I recently took the Network+ test and failed that one. lol
    My old company used to say "Not our problem". Most kids I know now in IT do internships and such, but supposedly IT is coming back as far as new jobs and such.

    Congrats btw!!!!
    masakatsu agatsu

    @lifeafter2am

  9. #9
    Moondog
    Guest
    I've started building a Network Lab (found some used Cisco routers and switches on eBay) and that opened the doors that had been closed to me for 4 years. I had some experience but no certs (going for the CCNA).

    Macgig, If you work for Apple, do you need to have the Apple Cert?

  10. #10
    Passed my Mac Cert exam today. 9L0-401
    macgig's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 15, 2006
    Posts
    623
    Specs:
    20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 GB ram | 10.6.8
    nope Im not working for apple. Not even in IT yet.

    I'm stuck in that catch 22... two certifications, lots of college courses, some experience but not a lot. I have done some freelance work for friends, others.

    can't seem to get a foot in a door... been on a few IT interviews, no luck getting hired yet.

  11. #11
    Passed my Mac Cert exam today. 9L0-401
    Ghostshadow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 21, 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,075
    Specs:
    iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickcliborne View Post
    In a perfect world I guess your professor is correct.

    When my company sits down to hire and all the talk from the applicant is around a cert we generally take note that you don't have any real knowledge that would help support our environment. We also have 3 separate test scenarios used to judge applicants. We've had to crack down like this because too many people take exams and can't backup their book knowledge in the real world.

    FWIW I'm a Network Engineer and I have passed plenty of Cisco certs.

    EDIT: Congrats by the way
    Sign me up for an interview. A company that doesn't rely on certs as their key to knowledge and hiring. That is one thing that ERKS me to no end. All of these companies that I interview for, they don't take the time to see if you actually have the knowledge. They see that someone has a cert, they hire them on the spot.

    I have CCNA, A+, and MCSE under my belt, + linux, I don't have the certs now because I can't afford it, and when I go into a place to interview for a job, I get turned down because I don't have a slip of paper, but some joe shcmo comes in with a cert he bought his way to, and he gets the job, of course the guy has no real hands on experience or anything like that.

    The last IT job I was working at, I was replaced by some doofus that didn't know his **** from his hands. This was all because he had a certification, they thought that he was more determined and that he had proof of knowledge, even though I was manning the servers, I was the whole reason they were up and running. They hosted an ISP and websites and I was the heart behind it all.

    I worked with the dude for a week and he knew nothing at all. I just hate it when companies think a slip of paper makes a world of difference, like it symbolizes that you know what you're talking about, some cases it's true, but I find that there are more times where people just pay for it and they have no knowledge except what was written in their book, or they read cram sheets.

    I think it's cool that a company would actually TEST someones knowledge before hiring, completely ignoring the cert.

  12. #12
    Passed my Mac Cert exam today. 9L0-401
    Ghostshadow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 21, 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,075
    Specs:
    iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by macgig View Post
    nope Im not working for apple. Not even in IT yet.

    I'm stuck in that catch 22... two certifications, lots of college courses, some experience but not a lot. I have done some freelance work for friends, others.

    can't seem to get a foot in a door... been on a few IT interviews, no luck getting hired yet.
    I totally know how you feel. Hang in there you'll find one eventually. Getting this cert will definitely help you get that edge. Sucks allot, but what can ya do?

  13. #13
    Passed my Mac Cert exam today. 9L0-401
    macgig's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 15, 2006
    Posts
    623
    Specs:
    20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 GB ram | 10.6.8
    seems to me that all the certs and college courses mean nothing without experience. Guess I need to get that somehow... freelancing I guess? Problem is I work a full time and part time job, so freelancing would be job 3... so I don't have much time to devote to it.

  14. #14
    Passed my Mac Cert exam today. 9L0-401
    macgig's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 15, 2006
    Posts
    623
    Specs:
    20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 GB ram | 10.6.8
    interesting, apple no longer ships out printed certificates. I got a pdf file of it in a email to print myself. Guess it's a cost cutting thing?

  15. #15
    Passed my Mac Cert exam today. 9L0-401
    zoso1951's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location
    Rochester, WA
    Posts
    13
    Specs:
    i have a 20 inch intel core duo iMac
    Thumbs up Macgig Congrats!!
    I've worked in IT forever, and prefer Apple to MS, but state of WA is in bed with Balmer, so no chance of getting to work on Apple at all. If i wasn't so old, 57 next month, I'd prep as you did/are, and look for Apple helpdesk work.
    Q, did you study on line, or attend class to get your cert?
    Good Luck!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ACMT exam study guides
    By kardon in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-28-2013, 02:22 AM
  2. Power mac g4 won't go passed grey screen???
    By Werzal in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-17-2011, 05:55 PM
  3. 401 Problem when trying to connect to router
    By Jakew903 in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-18-2009, 04:31 PM
  4. Where can I get test/exam templates?
    By Macswitcha in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 09:44 AM
  5. exam prep sites ?
    By reandu in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-13-2006, 07:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •