Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    A theory, read before flaming!
    fleurya's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 18, 2006
    Location
    Anytown, USA
    Posts
    4,925
    Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad
    A theory, read before flaming!
    I recently loaded Windows via bootcamp and was very careful due to the warnings of accidentally formatting and writing over the partition with Mac OS on it. I was wondering, if one wanted to, could they just write over the MAc OS and thrun their MB/MBP into a Windows only machine?

    I also bring this up because of the post from the guy who won a MBP, but didn't want to use Mac OS. To be safe, one could use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy everything to an ED just in case.

    Personally, I thought I would be using Windows as much as OSX when I bought mine, but I made myself hold off on loading Windows until I got used to the Mac and now feel I will be using Windows very little if at all.

  2. #2
    A theory, read before flaming!
    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Not sure why you think anyone would flame you... it's a perfectly valid question.

    There is no technical reason why you couldn't load any OS exclusively onto the machine, that is compatible with the system. Linux, OS X, Windows XP SP2 etc should all run fine. I do think that BootCamp must be installed to run Windows, so there always needs to be OS X somewhere on the drive (can someone confirm this). However you could give 80GB to Windows and 20GB to OS X if you wished and never boot OS X.

    The question comes down to would you want to do this? I am one of those who ended up installing Windows XP via parallels and I know to some Mac puritans, this is sacrilege (you know who you are!). However there was one app I simply could not live without, which was MS Money (as Mac Quicken is such a pile of bile).

    I think your last paragraph is very important. If you wait a few weeks before installing Windows (if this is possible) and give OS X a chance... anything that can be done in either system (browsing, emailing, office stuff, photographs, iTunes etc) you'll want to do in OS X. If you load up Windows immediately, you might end up stuck there, which in my very humble opinion, would be a shame.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge


  3. #3
    A theory, read before flaming!

    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2006
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    901
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
    However there was one app I simply could not live without, which was MS Money (as Mac Quicken is such a pile of bile).
    As an aside, it is very easy to diss an application as being "a pile of bile" but until one (anyone) gets in to software development and begins to appreciate the time, effort, skill and knowledge required to develop such an app, maybe we all (and i include myself here) shouldnt be so quick to slag off an app we dont like.

  4. #4
    A theory, read before flaming!
    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    I made myself hold off on loading Windows until I got used to the Mac and now feel I will be using Windows very little if at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
    If you wait a few weeks before installing Windows (if this is possible) and give OS X a chance... anything that can be done in either system (browsing, emailing, office stuff, photographs, iTunes etc) you'll want to do in OS X. If you load up Windows immediately, you might end up stuck there, which in my very humble opinion, would be a shame.
    This is the best advice out there with regards to BootCamp/Parallels. Zoolook hit the nail on the head, if you load Windows from the get-go, then you are likely to use that crutch more and more often and never get the hang of OS X.
    I advise people to wait at least a month or two before putting Windows on their Macs.
    Many people claim they are "sick of Windows" and bought the Mac because they wanted a change, something fresh, something different... why then would they ruin that opportunity for something new by immediately mucking it up with the very OS that they were trying to "escape" from?
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  5. #5
    A theory, read before flaming!
    ToddG's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 27, 2006
    Posts
    2,071
    Not to be contrary, but my personal experience with Mac OS X and Windows doesn't follow the theory that it's better to hold off on BC/Para. If not for the existence of both BootCamp and Parallels, I wouldn't have switched to a Mac in the first place. I need access to MSIE6 (to access my company's corporate webmail, which is based on ActiveX). And I wouldn't go a month or two without playing any of the PC games I've spent time & money on.

    I don't think there is anything wrong with using WinXP on your Mac. Like many people, I couldn't justify switching without that capability. Thanks to both BootCamp and Parallels, I am addicted to Apple (already added an iPod to our stash, probably a Nano coming soon and I see a Power Mac in my future ... not to mention trying to lure the wife into buying a MacBook).

  6. #6
    A theory, read before flaming!
    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Del View Post
    As an aside, it is very easy to diss an application as being "a pile of bile" but until one (anyone) gets in to software development and begins to appreciate the time, effort, skill and knowledge required to develop such an app, maybe we all (and i include myself here) shouldnt be so quick to slag off an app we dont like.
    You should not be so quick to jump to conclusions. Under normal circumstances I'd agree with you, but in this case I think you're wrong.

    Mac Quicken is a disgrace. Why? Because it has around half the features that Windows Quicken had 6 years ago, let alone the Windows Quicken 2007 edition. Intuit could have done a straight port and it'd be better than what they delivered to the Mac community.

    I said on another thread that virtually no piece of software available on both Windows and OS X has such a difference.

    Now, as an aside, I do understand what is required to build applications because I am a Project Manager and have overseen the development of several applications from conception to production. It's not the developers and individuals to blame in this case, it's the company who have made a strategic decision to create a two tier situation. Mac Quicken is more like "Quicken Lite" or something. Not only that, but Mac Quicken actually costs more!

    http://www.mac-forums.com/os-x-apps-and-games/43679-quicken-mac-load-rubbish.html

    Check out that thread and read my opener and then the post by Kevin270.

    Even the Quicken forums are full of people complaining, and not only that, but this has been the situation for years.

    Quotes from various reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by quicken2005
    In short, when using Intuit Quicken 2005 Deluxe for Windows next to Quicken 2005 for Macintosh, you have to wonder why Intuit bothered with the Mac version. Intuit has waffled on Mac support in the past, and after using versions of the same software on both platforms I can see why Mac users for the most part hate Intuit and their software, and judging by the difference in the software for which Mac users pay $10 more I imagine the feeling is mutual.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicken2006
    I'm a Mac user and have been using Quicken 2004 for the PC in Virtual PC. The interface for Quicken 2004 is light years ahead of the Quicken 2006 for Mac. I'm hoping I can send the software back.
    Quote Originally Posted by macvspc
    My youngest son, all of nine years of age, is the only person in the family with a Windows PC as his primary computer. The rest of us are on Macs. I do run a Windows PC for my personal financial management as Quicken for the Mac is a dog’s breakfast. And, under Vista, the computing experience is much better than under XP. Almost as nice as OS X.
    Finally, check out the Amazon reviews... 1.5 stars, that's got to be the worst rating of any piece of Mac software on Amazon.

    http://www.amazon.com/Quicken-2007-P...ews/B000GI0HR2

    Sorry for the huge response, but you're kinda questioning my integrity when you should be questioning Intuit's.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge


  7. #7
    A theory, read before flaming!
    BrianjG's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 30, 2005
    Location
    Cork, Ireland
    Posts
    46
    Specs:
    21" Imac
    Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    I was wondering, if one wanted to, could they just write over the MAc OS and thrun their MB/MBP into a Windows only machine?
    Yes you can, I've done it with my intel imac and had no problems at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    To be safe, one could use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy everything to an ED just in case.
    or just reload OS X from the installation discs.

    Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    Personally, I thought I would be using Windows as much as OSX when I bought mine, but I made myself hold off on loading Windows until I got used to the Mac and now feel I will be using Windows very little if at all.
    well for me the only reason I bought an intel mac was because of the ablility to run both OS. There are some apps that I cant replace and make a complete switch. At the moment I spend 90% of my time still in XP and will do so until I become more comfortable with OSX (ie perform the same tasks I do in xp without having to go find an FAQ)

    I think the ability to dual boot will make more people come over. And I dont see a problem with running a mac with XP 100% of the time. Either way they own a mac.

    PS. bootcamp isnt much more then a tool to provide drivers, partition the drive and act as a bootloader. You can simply load an xp disc, boot from it and install without it. Obviously you will lose the ability to boot to OS X.

  8. #8
    A theory, read before flaming!
    fleurya's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 18, 2006
    Location
    Anytown, USA
    Posts
    4,925
    Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad
    I haven't tried Quicken for Mac, because thankfully I've seen all the bad reviews first. I will probably continue to use MS Money as well. I'm tryinga program called iBank, but it just doesn't compare. Other than that, I haven't really seen and good money management software.

    Anybody working for a software company out there? Opportunity is knocking!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. We're looking for good forums that don't allow flaming
    By WinterCalm in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 06:59 PM
  2. Flaming iLap
    By spilio in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-11-2007, 01:52 AM
  3. Flaming Ibook!
    By Mdanner423 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 04:29 AM
  4. Another wild theory.
    By Amen-Moses in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-05-2005, 05:42 PM
  5. Conspiracy Theory
    By hype.it in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-25-2004, 09:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •