Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43
  1. #1
    GPU Overheating on Win7?
    CGGuy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 17, 2009
    Location
    Berlin-Germany / Istanbul-Turkey
    Posts
    36
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB Memory - 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Question GPU Overheating on Win7?
    Hi everybody,

    I recently have some GPU Overheating problem on Bootcamp Windows 7 (64bit) on my almost 4 years old MacBook Pro (15inch - late 2008). I was using Windows 7 (32) for years but I updated to 64 bit since I am using 3D softwares mostly. I kind of begin to believe that it happened after I updated to 64 Bit Windows.

    The games that I was playing until the update without any problem begun to slow down to 5-8 fps after a few minutes and thats when I figured out that it was a GPU overheating problem.

    The benchmark tests showed me that the GPU temps are getting to 100-105C and thats where the games begin to slow down. But I have tried the GPU benchmark tests in MacOs too but they were around 60-70 C there. (Open GL in both Mac and Windows). I am not sure if I made the test as they should be but I want to believe that Windows or the drivers there are responsible for that.

    Any info would be appreciated if you have experienced such a problem. Thank you ...


    My Mac:
    2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
    OS X 10.8.3 & Windows 7 Pro 64Bit

  2. #2
    GPU Overheating on Win7?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,485
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by CGGuy View Post
    I recently have some GPU Overheating problem on Bootcamp Windows 7 (64bit) on my almost 4 years old MacBook Pro (15inch - late 2008). I was using Windows 7 (32) for years but I updated to 64 bit since I am using 3D softwares mostly. I kind of begin to believe that it happened after I updated to 64 Bit Windows.
    If the over-heating started immediately after this update (and you're running the same applications before & after the update)...then that would certainly be a clear indication that the update may be the culprit.

    It is also possible that the inside of the MacBook Pro could be getting dirty (less efficient cooling air flow)...and may need to be inspected & cleaned. Also using your laptop on a hard flat surface (versus on top of something soft that may restrict airflow)...may also help.

    Beyond this...there really isn't a whole lot that can be done. Many Mac laptops will get warm/hot when running more demanding software applications...but 100-105C is pretty high.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3
    GPU Overheating on Win7?
    CGGuy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 17, 2009
    Location
    Berlin-Germany / Istanbul-Turkey
    Posts
    36
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB Memory - 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Hi Nick and thank you for your quick reply,

    Unfortunately I am not 100% sure if it begun after the update but it was very sudden, and it is getting worst. I have completely cleaned the inside of the mac last year and it changed a lot, but I can't reach the Graphic Card so cleaning the Graphic Card is not possible for now.

    I guess I will give it to the repair service anyway, but I'm just trying to be sure where the problem is... Maybe The Graphic Card Driver or Direct X can cause this. I really hope so..

  4. #4
    GPU Overheating on Win7?
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Have you tried updating to the latest NVIDIA-supplied driver for that graphics card?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  5. #5
    GPU Overheating on Win7?
    CGGuy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 17, 2009
    Location
    Berlin-Germany / Istanbul-Turkey
    Posts
    36
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB Memory - 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Have you tried updating to the latest NVIDIA-supplied driver for that graphics card?
    Yes I did. I even noticed that, sometimes in some games; if I close the Nvidia Settings Tray program, the slowing stopped for a while, until it started again in a few minutes...

    Thank you for you interest.

  6. #6
    GPU Overheating on Win7?
    scottmcp432's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 15, 2010
    Location
    Midland Texas
    Posts
    113
    Specs:
    mid '09 13" MBP 2.53 C2D, 8Gb RAM, 250 Gb HD, SL and Win7
    Most likely the factory applied TIM between the gpu and heatsink has dried up after 4 years of use. Personally, I'd tear it down and apply some new thermal paste (Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra being second to none) but as you mentioned you could not get at the gpu I suspect it is something you may not be comfortable with. Here is a link to a complete teardown guide for your MBP. And Here is a link a video showing proper application of Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra. Liquid Ultra is expensive and normally used in overclocking or delidding but it should be perfectly suited to the MacBook Pro.

  7. #7
    GPU Overheating on Win7?
    CGGuy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 17, 2009
    Location
    Berlin-Germany / Istanbul-Turkey
    Posts
    36
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB Memory - 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmcp432 View Post
    Most likely the factory applied TIM between the gpu and heatsink has dried up after 4 years of use. Personally, I'd tear it down and apply some new thermal paste (Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra being second to none) but as you mentioned you could not get at the gpu I suspect it is something you may not be comfortable with. Here is a link to a complete teardown guide for your MBP. And Here is a link a video showing proper application of Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra. Liquid Ultra is expensive and normally used in overclocking or delidding but it should be perfectly suited to the MacBook Pro.
    Hey, thank you very much for the info, I think you are right about the liquid. I will definitely try it. One last question though, I am planning to bring it to the service for the trackpad change anyway, do you guys think they would take a look and maybe fix it, if it is about the dried liquid? Or would they try to sell me just a new graphic card instead? I really don't have much experience about the Apple services.

    Thank you very much for the help again, it really was helpful.

  8. #8
    GPU Overheating on Win7?
    scottmcp432's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 15, 2010
    Location
    Midland Texas
    Posts
    113
    Specs:
    mid '09 13" MBP 2.53 C2D, 8Gb RAM, 250 Gb HD, SL and Win7
    I don't have any experience with Apple's customer services myself (I can usually fix my own hardware) so I cannot offer any insight there, sorry. One thing about Coollaboratory though, if that is what you go with get the Liquid Ultra NOT the Liquid Pro. Liquid Pro can be an absolute PITA to remove if it becomes necessary whereas Ultra will wipe off easily.

  9. #9
    GPU Overheating on Win7?
    CGGuy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 17, 2009
    Location
    Berlin-Germany / Istanbul-Turkey
    Posts
    36
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB Memory - 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmcp432 View Post
    I don't have any experience with Apple's customer services myself (I can usually fix my own hardware) so I cannot offer any insight there, sorry. One thing about Coollaboratory though, if that is what you go with get the Liquid Ultra NOT the Liquid Pro. Liquid Pro can be an absolute PITA to remove if it becomes necessary whereas Ultra will wipe off easily.
    Thank you very much for the details, I definitely will pay attention to that.
    I did use liquids for some CPU's formerly, I'm sure I can handle that.
    Thanks again...

  10. #10
    GPU Overheating on Win7?
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    45,269
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Quote Originally Posted by CGGuy View Post
    Hey, thank you very much for the info, I think you are right about the liquid. I will definitely try it. One last question though, I am planning to bring it to the service for the trackpad change anyway, do you guys think they would take a look and maybe fix it, if it is about the dried liquid? Or would they try to sell me just a new graphic card instead? I really don't have much experience about the Apple services.

    Thank you very much for the help again, it really was helpful.
    If you take it in to Apple or an Apple authorized repair service and ask them to do repairs on the GPU or re-apply thermal paste, they will quote you a repair price for changing out the logic board. Apple and Apple authorized repair services do not generally make repairs to components on the logic board. Instead they replace the entire board. An expensive repair.

    With a machine of that age, I wouldn't be anxious to put too much money into repairs. Also, the nVidia chipset in your model is prone to failure; so much so that Apple had a special free logic board replacement program ongoing for awhile which has now expired.

  11. #11
    GPU Overheating on Win7?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,485
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by CGGuy View Post
    Or would they try to sell me just a new graphic card instead?
    Apple laptops just like many Windows laptops do not have a seperate removable "graphics card". The "graphics hardware" is soldered onto the logic board. As chscag mentioned...if your computer needed new graphics hardware...you would have to have the whole logic board replaced. Which with your computer...would cost more than its current total value.

    On the positive side...I really do not think that you are having a graphics hardware issue. Your issue is heat...not the graphics.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  12. #12
    GPU Overheating on Win7?
    CGGuy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 17, 2009
    Location
    Berlin-Germany / Istanbul-Turkey
    Posts
    36
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB Memory - 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    If you take it in to Apple or an Apple authorized repair service and ask them to do repairs on the GPU or re-apply thermal paste, they will quote you a repair price for changing out the logic board. Apple and Apple authorized repair services do not generally make repairs to components on the logic board. Instead they replace the entire board. An expensive repair.
    Thats I exactly what I have expected. I never trusted repair services anyway. Thank you for that info.

    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    With a machine of that age, I wouldn't be anxious to put too much money into repairs. Also, the nVidia chipset in your model is prone to failure; so much so that Apple had a special free logic board replacement program ongoing for awhile which has now expired.
    Actually I catched the replacement program in 2009, got it changed and it did quite a good job for me until last week. Looks like the Termal paste is the only reasonable way.Thanks again..

    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Apple laptops just like many Windows laptops do not have a seperate removable "graphics card". The "graphics hardware" is soldered onto the logic board. As chscag mentioned...if your computer needed new graphics hardware...you would have to have the whole logic board replaced. Which with your computer...would cost more than its current total value.

    On the positive side...I really do not think that you are having a graphics hardware issue. Your issue is heat...not the graphics.

    - Nick
    You are right about the card, my mistake. I saw the chip on the board after the tear down, so thats where I need to focus. Thank you.


    By the way I found the "Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra" for 8 and I'm buying one tomorrow. I hope it works fine...

    Thank you all for your interest...

  13. #13
    GPU Overheating on Win7?
    CGGuy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 17, 2009
    Location
    Berlin-Germany / Istanbul-Turkey
    Posts
    36
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB Memory - 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Hi everybody,

    I just applied the "Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra" to my "CPU" and "both "GPU"s. But unfortunately I still do have the heating problem. It just takes a about 1 min this time. And the Computer begun to shou down in the Benchmark tests, so I assume this time it is about the CPU this time. Maybe the cooler cable was removed by mistake but I still doubt it.

    I have taken and uploaded some photos while applying it. Please tell me if I did something wrong.

    I really need your advice, thanks again...

    What I have found:


    Cleaned


    Applied

  14. #14
    GPU Overheating on Win7?
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by CGGuy View Post
    Hi everybody,

    I just applied the "Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra" to my "CPU" and "both "GPU"s. But unfortunately I still do have the heating problem. It just takes a about 1 min this time. And the Computer begun to shou down in the Benchmark tests, so I assume this time it is about the CPU this time. Maybe the cooler cable was removed by mistake but I still doubt it.

    I have taken and uploaded some photos while applying it. Please tell me if I did something wrong.

    I really need your advice, thanks again...

    What I have found:
    Awful. Apple's had a lot of trouble with this in earlier MacBook Pro models. It's amazing to me that they didn't get this under control with later models.


    Applied
    It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks a little thick to me. You should have a razor-thin layer of heatsink compound. Any more than that and it can act as an insulator.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  15. #15
    GPU Overheating on Win7?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,485
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by CGGuy View Post
    I just applied the "Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra" to my "CPU" and "both "GPU"s. But unfortunately I still do have the heating problem.
    You mentioned that this over-heating problem happens when you're playing games on your MBP on your Windows partition. What happens if you play an equally demanding game with the Mac OS?

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Why change Win7 sp1 x64 bootcamp to Win7 sp1 x86 bootcamp using OSX Snow Leopard?
    By tomot in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2011, 05:00 PM
  2. WinXP disk + Win7 Upgrade or Win7 disk
    By MelissaX in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-11-2011, 06:52 PM
  3. What gpu and how much gpu memory does the ipad have?
    By the8thark in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-03-2010, 05:36 PM
  4. Overheating CPU and GPU?
    By Awesomeish in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 09:35 AM
  5. Win7: What Happens on 10/22 to Win7 RC Installs
    By XJ-linux in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 01:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •